Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need your help. My dad was killed Aug 20

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2005, 06:46 PM
mstone
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need your help. My dad was killed Aug 20

My dad, Bob Correy, of Boulder, CO was riding his Harley on August 20 and was hit by a reckless driver. The driver (Mario Martinez) swerved from the right hand turn lane and went left across three lanes of traffic on Highway 119. The truck in front of my dad hit the brakes to avoid Martinez' car. When my dad swerved to avoid the truck he hit the Martinez car and was killed. Mario Martinez was cited for careless driving resulting in death. All the witness statements support the police report that Martinez unexpectedly, with no warning, went from the right hand off ramp to the left hand off ramp resulting in the accident that killed my father. Martinez is trying to say he was just driving along and was rear ended when he innocently slowed to make a turn.

My dad was a member of the Longmont Harley Davidson Club and needs your help! The district attorney in Boulder County is going to recommend a fine and 100 hours of community service for the guy who killed my dad!

My family needs all who read this to please write the district attorney, Mike Foote, at mfoote@co.boulder.co.us (303-441-3700) and express your outrage at this slap on the hand for killing a motorcycle rider. This guy is getting off without even admitting what he's done and is free to get in his car and do it again!

Thank you for your help!

Melanie Stone

p.s. For those who would rather call, Mike Foote's direct line is 303-682-6750.

UPDATE: 12/12/05

I just learned that Mario Martinez will only receive 4 points on his drivers license! I automatically assumed that if you kill someone with your car, you loose your license! At least for a little while! There is no distinction between careless driving causing no harm or injury, to careless driving resulting in DEATH! If you get sucked into one of the sobriety test points during the holidays, and have had 2 beers the last hour, you will loose your license and go to jail! Legally, it's better for you if you just stay sober and go ahead and kill someone!

Now, I admit, getting in your car after having a few beers is not a good idea. It is classified as a lack of good judgement! It is considered such an egregious error that you should be sent to jail! What astonishes me is that poor judgements made by sober people are called "unfortunate accidents," while poor judgements made by people who have had a few beers are "very serious matters requiring jail time and treatment."

When you do something that kills someone because you're drunk, at least you have diminished capacity to reason and make rational decisions. But, when you do something that kills someone while you are perfectly sober and in an unencumbered state of mind, it is more deliberate! The Mario Martinez' of the world say: "I changed my mind! Screw all of you on the road around me. I'm turning left now and you'd better just damn well get out of my way!

So the moral of the story is, if you want to kill someone, and get away with it, just don't have a beer beforehand! NOOOO PROBLEM ! ! !

UPDATE! (1-2-06)

After reading about all that is happening with this case, please skip to the end of the posts to find out about new legislation and how you can help!

[b] UPDATE! (1-26-06)

[size=3]We just learned of Mario's driving record. He had been convicted of 3 violations before he pulled the move that killed my dad. We also learned that the DA doesn't want to go to trial. He is going to offer a plea of an unsafe lane change. A 3 point violation with no mention of killing someone! Since 1999, when Mr. Martinez received his Colorado license, he has received three 4 point violations. The fourth is the one that killed my dad and they want to make a plea! Here is his driving record: 8/11/00 he was convicted of running a red light; 1/06/01 he was convicted of driving on the wrong side of the road; 8/11/05, just 9

Old 12-06-2005, 07:25 PM
ghowell
Advanced
Default RE: Need your help. My dad was killed Aug 20

My sincerest sympathies. I tried to send an email to Mr. Foote and the email bounced back.

Old 12-06-2005, 07:53 PM
skos
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

sincerest sympathies to you & your family. I just email the guy but it came back as well

This is an automatically generated Delivery Status Notification.

Delivery to the following recipients failed.

ffoote@co.boulder.co.us

Old 12-06-2005, 08:04 PM
Basz
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My sympathies.

In trying to help - I looked up the Boulder DA's Site for those that want to make contact.

Mark

Old 12-06-2005, 08:14 PM
vharrig
Cruiser

My feelings go out toyour family. I too live in Colorado and travel Highway 119, I hope something worse happens to that guy. I'm surprised that the witness's didn't have more of an influence on the decision. That guy should rot.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:23 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

Just sent my e-mail on your Dad's behalf. My sincere condolences to you and your family. Accountability is so often overlooked, I pray the guy does not get away with his poor driving choices, and do this again.
God be with you, Judy H.

Old 12-06-2005, 08:59 PM
gata42
Novice

Even though there is not much they can do criminally due to the charges that were given you might have a strong civil case for the driver contributing to the death of your father. I would get copies of the police reports, and any information on the current court proceddings as well as witness names addresses and numbers and names of officers and attorneys involved and then contact an attorney with the information and see if he believes you have a case for civil court. If you cant put him behind bars you might be able to make him pay in other ways. It will not bring your father back but to some this is a worse punishment than jail if their money is taken and it makes them think about what they did every time they get a check.
Sorry for your loss and hope things work out. James

Old 12-06-2005, 09:38 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I feel for your loss, too bad that more can't be done to that idiot. I feel that the law is pretty lax in some areas. It seems like, if you steal some money that they get more excited about that than if somebody gets killed through recklessness. I hope that you are able to get better justice than simply just a slap on the wrist. Good luck.

Old 12-06-2005, 10:34 PM
traveler
Extreme HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

I pray that you will find comfort for your loss..............no matter what the outcome, you are without a father. May God give you peace, and understand that Justice always comes at the Judgement.............[&o]

joe
[&o]

Old 12-07-2005, 01:21 AM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry to hear about your dad my prayer goes out to you and your family. I will write to the District attorney.

Quick Reply: Need your help. My dad was killed Aug 20