General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I May Never Get Over This (long post)

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:39 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default I May Never Get Over This (long post)

I was about ten bikes back when this happened Sunday:

Motorcyclist on charity ride is hit, killed by car
Second biker critically injured on Sunday ride near Waleska

By MIKE MORRIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/01/07
One motorcyclist was killed and another seriously injured Sunday afternoon when their bikes were involved in a multi-vehicle wreck in Cherokee County.
The bikers were among a group of about 40 to 50 motorcyclists taking part in a charity bike ride when the crash occurred about 1:30 p.m. on Ga. 140 north of Waleska, according to authorities.

RELATED LINK:
More Cherokee news[/b]

Larry Schnall, a spokesman for the Georgia State Patrol, said a woman driving a Subaru sport-utility vehicle westbound on Ga. 140 had stopped, waiting to turn left onto Little Refuge Road.
Most of the eastbound group of motorcyclists had passed when a westbound Honda being driven by a male teen struck the rear of the Subaru, pushing the SUV into the path of the oncoming motorcycles, Schnall said.
Two Harley Davidson motorcycles struck the Subaru, Schnall said.
The 42-year-old man riding one of the Harleys died enroute to a hospital, and and the other motorcyclist, described only as a middle-aged male, was airlifted to Grady Memorial Hospital in serious condition, said Cherokee County Fire and Emergency Services spokesman Tim Cavender.
Their names have not been released. No other serious injuries were reported, Cavender said.
Schnall said Monday that the wreck was still under investigation.
Witnesses said the motorcyclists were on an annual 75-mile fundraising ride by Bikers Against Cruelty to Kids.
According to the group's Web site, the motorcyclists were raising money for Court Appointed Special Advocates for Children, volunteers appointed by judges to advocate for the best interests of abused or neglected children in juvenile court proceedings.
This was the fifth year for the ride, said Bobby Coleman, a spokesman for Bikers Against Cruelty to Kids.
"It was just a bunch of bikers trying to raise some money for some kids," he said.

Needless to say, I'm a little messed up in the head right now. How in the world do you climb back on a bike and feel the love of motorcycling you did just seconds before a nightmare unfolds in front of you? I KNOW it wasn't the motorcyclists fault (it seldom is) and I KNOW this could have happened if only one biker had been cruising down this road but I just can't get this whole thing situated in my brain right now. If it was just cars, I doubt if it would have been fatal at the speed we were going but should I sell my bike and resign myself to a lifetime of cars because I do love my wife and kids more than my bike. All the way home I was ready to give motorcycling up but then I talked to my friend who was one bike ahead of me and he made a great point - he said how emotions were running amok right now and he had already decided he wouldn't make a knee jerk decision. It's good to have friends who are smarter than you!

Anyway, sorry about the long post. Anyone who's been through something like this and has any advice - I'm all ears. Thanks everyone.

[/align][/align][/align][/align]
[/align][/align][/align]

Old 10-01-2007, 07:45 PM
PSO169
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: I May Never Get Over This (long post)

Hang in there. Take some time for you and do what is right for you.

Jeff

Old 10-01-2007, 07:53 PM
E1
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Tragic story and I feel for those like yourself that witnessed the event and those that experienced the loss of a family member and the injured. It will take time as PSO169 mentioned and while time has the ability to heal wounds pray and talking about to others should help as well. Your buddy was right emotions were no doubt high and probably still are -- hang in there and may God bless.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:55 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Can't imagine being that close to something like that happening. Really sad. You are probably still in shock. Give it some time. When you are ready to get back on you will know. If you aren't ever then you will also know. No one can make that decision for you. Hang in there.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:00 PM
kjmorgan
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

You're probably right about the shock - I didn't sleep much last night. However, you guys are also right about my feelings for the families of the two guys who suffered more than simply mental pain like mine. My heart goes out to them. thanks for the kind words, everyone!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:02 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

I can't speak from experience, because the crash that happened in our group wasn't fatal. I gave it about a week before throwing the leg back over. Not sure what I would feel/do if he had died though...

Park it for a while, and climb back on when you're ready.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:39 PM
wlbowers
Stellar HDF Member

Received 101 Likes on 44 Posts

ORIGINAL: kjmorgan

I was about ten bikes back when this happened Sunday:

Motorcyclist on charity ride is hit, killed by car
Second biker critically injured on Sunday ride near Waleska

By MIKE MORRIS
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution
Published on: 10/01/07
One motorcyclist was killed and another seriously injured Sunday afternoon when their bikes were involved in a multi-vehicle wreck in Cherokee County.
The bikers were among a group of about 40 to 50 motorcyclists taking part in a charity bike ride when the crash occurred about 1:30 p.m. on Ga. 140 north of Waleska, according to authorities.

Needless to say, I'm a little messed up in the head right now. How in the world do you climb back on a bike and feel the love of motorcycling you did just seconds before a nightmare unfolds in front of you? I KNOW it wasn't the motorcyclists fault (it seldom is) and I KNOW this could have happened if only one biker had been cruising down this road but I just can't get this whole thing situated in my brain right now. If it was just cars, I doubt if it would have been fatal at the speed we were going but should I sell my bike and resign myself to a lifetime of cars because I do love my wife and kids more than my bike. All the way home I was ready to give motorcycling up but then I talked to my friend who was one bike ahead of me and he made a great point - he said how emotions were running amok right now and he had already decided he wouldn't make a knee jerk decision. It's good to have friends who are smarter than you!

Anyway, sorry about the long post. Anyone who's been through something like this and has any advice - I'm all ears. Thanks everyone.

Rider Down is hard. Seeing it happen is even worse.

Time will help. Try not to dwell on it. Reflect on it. It will make you stronger.

Be diligent. Be safe.

When your ready we will see you on the road.

Old 10-01-2007, 08:48 PM
flakdog
Road Captain

I sometimes think about this kind of thing when I'm riding in a group. It must really be hard on you. Like the others have said take some time and then decide. We lost a frind this summer on a ride ( I was not with them) They were in Colorado on a trip. The thing that has helped me the most is just talking about it with my friends and remembering him in the good times. I lost my sister this summer to ALS and she is buried in the same place as our friend who was killed. I tend to ride the 20 miles to the cemetery about once a week to spend a little time remembering. Everyone grieves in different ways, this seems to help me.

God bless you and the families of the others, you are in our prayers.

FD

Old 10-01-2007, 08:54 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Kevin,I've seen two fatals in my day that were friends & a third I didn't see that has been in a coma for over a year now.I totally understand where your coming from.Each time I slowly got back in the saddle,but that's me.
Prayers out to the families.

Old 10-01-2007, 09:01 PM
Punisher
Cruiser

Prayers go out to you and all involved. Live today, you never know when its all over. No regrets. Ever.

Quick Reply: I May Never Get Over This (long post)