Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a rental ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007, 03:24 PM
triple buzz
Tourer
Received 20 Likes on 9 Posts
Default Would you buy a rental ?

I have a line on a 2007 road glide rental from my dealer. 7200 miles for $14,700. Price is right and the miles don't bother me . what I feel bad about is 45-50 diffrent riders put those miles there. that is a lot of trips to red line and bounces off the rev limiter. My question to the members is would youbuy it ? Would you sleep good thinking about after you bought it ? The price is too good to just say no ,and they gave me a good offer on my trade.Thanks

Old 09-30-2007, 03:51 PM
drdiesel1
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would you buy a rental ?

I bought a new/ZERO miles 07 SG for 16,300.On trade thebike is not worth more than 13K now.
Go to www.KBB.com and look it up under trade-in value. See what that dollar amount is and take another 20% off that. That is what a dealer will give you for it.
Why would you buy a high mile rental for that much...[8D]The dealer is trying to sucker you into something worth farless than it`sinflated dealer basedvalue. RUN...[:@]

I looked it up...Base trade-in $12,780.00 less $3,000.00 = $9,780.00 That`s exactly what a dealer would give you for it @trade. The retail on it is $12,500.00 and not a dime more.[8D]
If you really had to have it 13K would be top $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$..

Old 09-30-2007, 04:02 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

No matter what you might pay for that bike I think you should get them to throw in a extended warranty . Does not appear they dropped the price enough for a used bike with 7,500 miles on it , they must think since they have,nt really sold it , it is a high milage new bike . It's NOT NEW with just a few demo miles on it !

Old 09-30-2007, 04:37 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd want to see the maintenance records first. How often has it been in the shop? What did they do at the 1000 and 5000 mile service intervals? What have they replaced or had to repair? They've gone through at least a few items, and you want to make sure it was maintained well. Hard to believe they haven't at least replaced the tires and a few other things, so check out what's been done to it.

I'd then want to know to know how many times it's been rented and for how long on each trip. If it's 70 people averaging 100 miles each then that's very different from 20 people average 400 miles each.

Same thing for length of trips. If it's been rented a bunch of 1 day trips then chances are it was by folks trying to determine if they wanted to buy a new bike. A lot of HD dealers now push the idea of renting a bike rather than allowing people to "test drive" a bike. That way they make $125 to $170 a day for the rental. Only problem is that someone renting a bike for that purpose is more likely going to push it hard. On the other hand, folks who rent for tripstend to push it less other than for miles in a day.

There's a big difference between someone driving 10 miles but continually running it to the redline and someone who rents it for 500 miles and runs reasonable speeds over longer distances. So I'd look for a pattern of abuse or problems that might appear in the type of rentals.

Bottom line ... $14,700 is not that good of price. As noted, you can get a 0 mile bike for not much more.I was in Las Vegas HD on Saturday and I'm pretty sure they had a couple bikes like this on the floor. They had tags on all the '07s advertising $1000 to $2000 off MSRP, and I'm thinking the Street Glides I looked at were $1500 off. That would put you in the mid-$16k range for a new bike.

Remember, this is a"used" bike -- no matter what a dealer tries to claim-- and it's not necessarily a used bike with the best history. So at best it will be on the low end of retail, and probably would be in the wholesale range.

Just imagine, you bought the bike new a year ago for your "rental business" and that you rented it to the same number of people and put the same miles on it. Now you take it to the dealer to "trade" what do you think they'd give you for it?

Old 09-30-2007, 04:49 PM
xlr8rtwisted
Cruiser

My Bro bought a 2005 Springer Rental in 2005 with 9000 on the clock. He now has 18000 without 1 problem. I lost that bet with him but I still think it's a roll of the dice. Good Luck whatever you do.

Old 09-30-2007, 04:51 PM
whak a mole
Advanced

no

Old 09-30-2007, 04:56 PM
lost6009
Cruiser

No way. Think about how most people treat rental cars. Plus you know almost everyone who rode on it gave it hell to "see what it can do". I think it's a roll of the dice too.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:27 PM
Rick 547
Tourer

If he bike is in great shape, it runs great and they will still give you a warrenty, why not. Don't listen to all the nay sayers. A friend of mine just sold his 2002 Road King Classic for $14,000. It had the 95ci kit installed with high performace heads and 12,000 miles. I was offered $14,500 for my Road King Custom with 95ci, SE High Performance Heads, 203 Cam, Custom Paintand Cruise Control with 19,000 miles on it. It was not that the price they offered me was too low I just can't seam to part with it. Need it like another hole in my head as I have a 07 Street Glide.

So if the price is right to you, you think it is a good bike and the dealer will stand behind it, Go For It.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:33 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not a chance. I would bet that at least 90% of the people that rode that bike had it full throttle at one point or another or multiple times. I am sure someone will post that they ride their bike at full throttle too but there is a major difference, you know what RPM range it was done at.

If you have half a brain you are not going to lug a bike at full throttle which is horrible on them and hole shots take their toll too. This is how people treat these bikes getting their "moneys worth" from the rental.

Just my opinion but the risk is not worth the small amount you save as the reward.

Old 09-30-2007, 05:41 PM
Tripper
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: lost6009

No way. Think about how most people treat rental cars. Plus you know almost everyone who rode on it gave it hell to "see what it can do". I think it's a roll of the dice too.
Hee-hee, no curb too high, no parking spot too narrow.

Quick Reply: Would you buy a rental ?