Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Would you buy a rental ?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 07:35 AM
IndyRider
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Would you buy a rental ?

Another thing to keep in mind is that if you will be financing, rates are normally lower for a new bike then a used one. If you do go with the rental from the dealer be sure they include the extended warranty as others have said without charging you for it.

If I was set on buying a used bike I would try to find one from a private seller. Most will have low miles and you can tell a lotabout how a person takes care of his vehicles when you visit him.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:54 AM
Punisher
Cruiser

Wouldnt marry a hooker either. Too many people have rode the hell out of it!!

Old 10-01-2007, 08:19 AM
flhx74
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yea...like buying the village bicycle...

Old 10-01-2007, 08:41 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

I wouldn't even consider it. Too much abuse is put on rental vehicles (cars included).

Old 10-01-2007, 11:30 AM
Donnylee
Stellar HDF Member
Received 852 Likes on 295 Posts

I bought a used 2005 Fat Boy prior to my current bike. It had no issues had 20K on it when I traded itoff. A used bike is a used bike.....A rental is a Dealer bike and usuallymaintained well...Most of the people renting them have their own bikes and are from out of State. It requires an endorsement and someone with some money...Renting is not cheap.

The new bikes have rev limiters I seriously doubt they are riddin a heck of a lotharder then alot of other Private Party bikes out there with owners that mayreallyride them too. Harleys are in my opinion arenot as fragile as some seem to think they are......

That said as pointed out your will end up with a higher interests rate with a used bike. The benefit is you get alot of equipment Stage 1, Bags, Windshield, etc...that when added on to a brand new one with the extra's starts to look pretty good.

My experience was positive with the Softail I bought..... But you have alot of good advise both directions!

Old 10-01-2007, 12:22 PM
Manish_Hawg
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

At the stealer I go to, the employees get to "rent" the bike for free when they are available. After riding with some of them, I would say NOOOOOOOO

Old 10-01-2007, 12:30 PM
allengator
Cruiser

There are just WAAAAAYYY to many low mileage RUB bikes on the market to take a risk....

Old 10-01-2007, 12:35 PM
Herr Monk
Elite HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Blackisfast

Not a chance...can you imagine what the breakin might have been? No...
That seems to be the deal breaker on this. If someone from the shop was paid to ride it for a thousand miles a break it in right then maybe. If it was a rental from day one, then, you can only imagine what the break-in was like.

Think about who rents. Either someone going for a trip, in which case it was run at a constant highway speed, most likely in top gear at a constant RPM for hours on end, was hot-rodded around town. I can selfishly say if I'm spending the money to rent a bike somewere I would be riding it like I stole it no matter the miles. The renter didn't pay to break the bike in for the dealer.

Old 10-01-2007, 04:00 PM
HD_Maxima
Cruiser

You need to do what you feel is best for you. I can honestly say that I would more than likely consider it, especially since the last three cars I have purchased were all rentals. As someone who travels a great deal for my jobI rent a lot of vehicles andI can honestly say that I don't abuse them anymore than my own vehicles and I believe that is true for most folks who rent. Another thing to think about when buying something like this is "If it was a trade in and looked good would you be concerned that the previous owner beat the he11 out of it?"

Any vehicle in my mind is crap shoot. I have had some brand new vehicles that wre pieces of ****!!

Old 10-01-2007, 04:03 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 68 Likes on 62 Posts

Don't think I would because the last couple times my friends have rented they hot rodded the heck out of the bike. Sorry not for me! Jrsess

Quick Reply: Would you buy a rental ?