General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Zumo Security Screw Driver

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 06:08 PM
SMenasco
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Zumo Security Screw Driver

I had the screw driver on a key ring on the bike. I guess I didn't get the top screwed on tight enough. The top came off somewhere on the road. I tried to find a replacement screw driver on the Garmin site and found none. I called them and didn't want to wait 35 minutes for a rep. I asked about a replacement on the Zumo forum and received no reply. Has anyone lost their screw driver and ordered a replacement? If so, do you have a part number? Thanks.

[IMG]local://upfiles/1638/29FB6759CE0A49BBAC4B826495D7D5CE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2007, 06:19 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts
Default RE: Zumo Security Screw Driver

Wave at a Goldwing rider...they may have one? LOL

(good luck with your GPS key......seriously)

Chuck

Old 09-29-2007, 07:09 PM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

if you don't get anywhere...just get a small regular screwdriver........like one from a "jeweler's kit" and grind the necessary notch in the middle of the blade........that's what I did and it works great.

Old 09-29-2007, 10:35 PM
marcss
Road Captain

My top fell off just walking around the house. I use the blue locktite now. You still have the screwdriver just not the top, right? You could try a plastic pen top that would thread itself on there, or a small piece of hose. Or just forget about a top all together.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:33 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I emailed them...Never got a response back, but a new driver ariived in the mail about a week later.

Old 09-30-2007, 12:34 AM
greg09997
Road Warrior
Received 99 Likes on 50 Posts

I emailed them...Never got a response back, but a new driver ariived in the mail about a week later.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:29 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

I have to ask about this. Unless I'm not thinking about something correctly, I've always wondered how useful that security screw really is. While it might prevent someone from pulling the GPS out of the cradle while one is parked, it would be a simple matter to just pull the entire cradle off the motorcycle and walk away with that.

It's just one of those things I've always wondered about when I think about using that security screw.

Old 09-30-2007, 02:47 AM
Clammy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 1,912 Likes on 814 Posts

Can't really help you with the lost driver, but once you get the security screw off, get yourself one of the replacemnet screws HERE. I got one, and it's great!!

Cheers!
[sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif][sm=icon_rock.gif]

Old 09-30-2007, 06:48 AM
Ugly Troll
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

I have to ask about this. Unless I'm not thinking about something correctly, I've always wondered how useful that security screw really is. While it might prevent someone from pulling the GPS out of the cradle while one is parked, it would be a simple matter to just pull the entire cradle off the motorcycle and walk away with that.

It's just one of those things I've always wondered about when I think about using that security screw.
I've never felt this little screw did anything to stop a thief..........like any supposed "security" device. However, this replacement would make it much easier to install/remove the Zumo from the cradle. For me, the main purpose of that little screw is to help hold the unit itself securely in the cradle so I don't have to worry about losing the unit going down the road! Now THAT would suck! I can't afford a replacement!

Old 09-30-2007, 08:02 AM
Wecroft
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts

Dump that stupid little screw and get the replacement thumbscrew that Clammy pointed you to. You're going to take the unit off the bike anyway when not attended (unless you're a total idiot) and the thumbscrew allows you to do this quickly without tools.

Quick Reply: Zumo Security Screw Driver