General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Many Prefer Solo ?

Search this Thread

Old 09-30-2007 | 08:08 AM
BadBobOk
Ultimate HDF Member
Default RE: How Many Prefer Solo ?

I ride with a group of friends 3 or 4 times a year. We all live 60-120 miles from each other, so we usually meet somewhere on the road at a given time and then roll for a few days to a nice destination.

Old 09-30-2007 | 08:44 AM
stevent
Road Master

By myself mostly because I don't do a lot of fun riding. Mostly I use theDyna to get around and go to work and that sort of thing. I also have a Suzuki and a couple of my buds have Buells as well as Harleys so we go out and shred backroads now and then.

Old 09-30-2007 | 11:00 AM
HDFAN
Road Master

I posted pretty much the same question down in "road trips" about a year & a half ago or so. The responses I received encouraged me to go it alone.

Well, I have done numerous solo trips now, through nine states, 2700 miles being the longest, and after the very first one I decided this was the way for me. If I wanna ride 600 miles today, by golly, that's what I'm gonna do. If I wanna stop & take pics, then big woo, nobody to gripe about it. It's all about the FREEDOM, MAN. To do WHAT you want, WHEN you want, and not have to wonder what the "others" are thinking.

Man, I'm telling you, once you do it, you will see what it's all about. SERIOUS head clearing time. And it seems I meet so many cool people whom I probably wouldn't have met if in a group.

Like the Nike commercial says, JUST DO IT!!!!!!!

Old 09-30-2007 | 07:32 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

Prefer to ride solo. Just me and the ride.
A friend and his wife like to camp, as I do. We make a weekend out of riding and camping..... seeing the sights.
Always very enjoyable, then back to solo.

DougJ

Old 09-30-2007 | 08:52 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

99.9 % Solo[8D].

Old 09-30-2007 | 11:03 PM
Rambler
Tourer

One up for me

Old 09-30-2007 | 11:36 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master

I'm moving toward the solo preference. I'm going to do my first overnight solo trip later in October, so we'll see how that works out. However, my last 3 road trips were with a friend and they worked out alright. However, it's like others have said, you end up having to dictate your pace somewhat by the pace of the person you're riding with. My friend rides a sport touring motorcycle so he likes to say that he doesn't feel safe unless he's riding over 75mph, plus he hates being behind someone so he will always pass them, even if he ultimately ends up backing down to the same speed they are going.

I've gone on a couple group rides set up by DallasTX over in the Sportster forums and have enjoyed those. I still plan to join in on some of those, but I do feel a little out of place since I'm one of the few wearing a full face helmet, and am the only one wearing a mesh jacket with armor.

This weekend was a solo weekend for me and it is definately nice to ride my own pace and stop or break off on a new route without having to worry about telling someone else.

Old 10-01-2007 | 02:01 AM
cbigbie191
Road Master

I ride solo, no groups, no passengers. My bike is my time.....

Old 10-01-2007 | 05:36 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member

Mostly ride solo,but do enjoy mother on back and going on small runs.It is much easier to ride hard and fast alone.Of course a good drag race is in order once in a while.It keeps the juices flowing.

Old 10-01-2007 | 05:39 AM
nidan
Road Warrior

I ride 90% solo, not so much by choice as by availability of my time and that of others. I ride with my daughter , wife and chapter when they are available.

Quick Reply: How Many Prefer Solo ?