General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

why do riding groups/clubs barhop???

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007 | 04:27 AM
thelawdoc
Tourer
Default RE: why do riding groups/clubs barhop???

06train,
What make car tire is that your bike? Would have been nice to hear from you a little in the car tire threads.

Old 09-29-2007 | 04:34 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: SiLlY

Bah... Why do people like to b!tch and whine? Don't like the group or where and what they do, don't ride with them. Done.
So, what you're saying is: "Don't post in forums" ??????

Old 09-29-2007 | 04:48 AM
Iron Maiden
Advanced

What kills me is we'll complain and scream to linch a drunk cager that runs over a bikeryet so many bikers assume it alright for them to drink and ride. No difference if you ask me, one's not better than the other. Half of all fatal motorcycle accidents were drinking alcohol. I wonder how many drinks this guy had? http://www.bikepics.com/movies/000002/

Old 09-29-2007 | 04:58 AM
AceHog
Road Captain

When I bought my bike they told me about being a HOG member. I said it sounds like something I'll look into. The dealer said the meetings were held every month in this local bar. I said I'll pass on it and from some of the stories I've heard after I'm glad I did. I can't beleive a dealer would sponsor a HOG chapter that meets in a bar.

Old 09-29-2007 | 07:00 AM
johnbd
Intermediate

Here's my bar-hop story. I was out solo one Saturday this summer & stopped for gas. A group of about 10 Harleys roared in right behind me. We get to talking and they're off for a spin in about the same direction I was headed in, so I get invited to tag along. Next little village they all haul into a bar, so I join 'em...but stick to pepsi. My guess is each of these guys downed four beersin half an hour.I'm thinkin' this don't look too good. So back to the bikes we go.Now we got guys reving and popping burnouts. I get to the back of the pack and we're off. It looked like a herd of Kamakazi pilots ahead of me....out to dive bomb into something big and solid. Every few minutes a coupleguys would break rank and race side by side up the left hand lane for example....diving back into the line of bikes.Speeds were up to about 75real fast. Then the pack caught up to a line of cars. GeeeeZuzz. Guys blowing by and darting into traffic made the hair on my *** stand up. Next intersection I turned left and escaped with my life. Ten bucks says thisgoes on all over the place. JBD

Old 09-29-2007 | 08:07 AM
lost6009
Cruiser

I know a beer sure feels nice for the a$$ after a hundred miles, espcially whenthere's more to go.

Old 09-29-2007 | 09:07 AM
MarkThomas
Cruiser

If ANY biker drinks and rides his bike into my wife and son coming back from the grocery store, for instance, he can expect a serious a$$ whooping from me.

This is why is is our business...drunk drivers affect all of us since we all use the same roads. The ignorance of "why do you care, are they hurting you..." just kills me.

Old 09-29-2007 | 09:24 AM
vicks96
Tourer

I got a couple of buddies that like a cold beer when riding but its not for me. The wife told me ifI come home drinking Id need 2 new tires on my ride so I dont. And if they get too much in them I tell them. Its for their own good and maybe someone else also. They and their wives appreciate the fact I look out for them. Here in North Carolina 1 beer is too much as far as the law is concerned. Dont drink and drive.

Old 09-29-2007 | 09:31 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member

Because they are there.

[IMG]local://upfiles/42833/47226C809B534992A47F2D80C7E8D36A.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-29-2007 | 12:15 PM
Cryptoboy
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy

ORIGINAL: mnvikingsfan

Why the hell do these riding groups/groups or whatever feel the need to ride and barhop??? WTF??? That's about as good as idea as playing russian roulette! Can't anyone just ride and have a nice lunch and call ita day??

All I know having ONE BEER is fine with some lunch or whatever, but I've been on a few rides where I have watched people drink like its a frickin bachelor party or something-one guy backing up his bike even fell over after a few too many....and no I'm not talking just about Harley riders, I'm talking about metric clubs as well.....it seems every "Bike Nite" ad I see involves drinking which blows me away....even the events at the HD dealer once a month live band and drinking! Crazy if you ask me. All I know is if I'm gonna get loaded, I sure as hell am not riding my Harley home afterwards!!
First off, most people can't just ride to lunch with their friends, especially during the week. Second, where else are people going to go when they are riding at night? I guess you could join the GW riders over at Dairy Queen, but usually the scenery isn't quite as nice!

Keep in mind there are people out there that feel that's their only way of raising he!!. In some ways we have nobody but ourselves to thank for assisting these other riders. New riders that come in hear some of our stories (and yes, I've have my share of stupidity, on and off my bikes!) and feel they need to be wild and crazy too. People buy bikes for all kinds of reasons, but being wild and free is typically one of them.....

I've been part of those bike nights you are mentioning, did the occasional stop to Billet Bar, among many other places, over the years. I had my stupid moments like most people have, but typically limited it to a beer an hour. Ironically, most of us that were having the wild bike nights are now married, some with kids, so we've all mellowed out!

That brings up another question though....how many DUI related accidents involved more than one rider? I don't think I've heard of any when out riding with a group (doesn't mean there aren't any though, by any means!) I guess even if that is true, it still leaves when the group splits up and heads to their own homes.....

Quick Reply: why do riding groups/clubs barhop???