General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is it just me or?

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2007, 03:48 AM
Roses
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: Is it just me or?

Drunks who forget to turn on their headlights. Virtually impossible to identify hazardous road conditions (slick surfaces, sand on road, irregularities in asphalt, debris). All of this coupled with the fact that, in my personal observations, a motorcycles headlight, because it is a single beam, tends toget lost in the headlights of vehicles following it. I have been in a cage many times and pulled up to a four lane, looked at oncoming traffic and thought...that sure looks weird. It usually turns out to be a bike well ahead of a group of following cars. If I had been in a hurry, distracted or impaired???

Old 10-01-2007, 05:54 AM
Blade68
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I prefer riding in the day light for safety reasons. However, I think riding at night is much more fun, it's cooler, less people on the road, lots of lights, moon, stars etc... What I don't like is all the f'ing critters and drunks on the road at night...

Old 10-01-2007, 06:03 AM
fordpartsguy
Road Warrior

I actuall like riding at night a lot, lucky for me I still have great night vision at 44. I do agree tho about frickin' deer... damn things are everywhere this time of the year.

Old 10-01-2007, 06:22 AM
Blackisfast
Tourer

One of my first mods was to replace the stock US headlamp assemble with the Euro assembly and better quality Osrams on my '07 RG. Ohio is chock full of deer and I've seen the results. Lots of folks seem to forget that they can ride faster than the lights allow them to. Had a 56 year old guy die here last night simply running off a curve into a corn field...likely running too fast to see the curve coming as there were no animals involved and no other obstruction.

Old 10-01-2007, 07:36 AM
jskwarek
Road Master

It is much cooler to ride at night here, but I am night blind for what ever reason so I feel better riding during the day.

Jeff

Old 10-01-2007, 07:51 AM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

When you hear my bike crank I'm going riding or headed to the bar. I live in the country and got deer and other animals too. There are drunks on the road 24hrs a day.
I ride when I git a notion to ride as long as it ain't raining . I got good headlights on my 07 Harley and it shines the road up good.

Old 10-01-2007, 11:34 AM
SUPER01
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: pmedic433

An old biker told me one time to ride in the country in the day and the city at night, and I have noticed the amount of traffic is less which translates to less 2 to 4 ton missles trying to shoot you down.
Guess that's how he got to be an "Old Biker".
I agree. I hit a deer while riding the bike at night a year ago out on a country road along a corn field, didn't go down but caused some damage to the bike and my right foot.
No more night time rides for me in the country.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:08 PM
gunner065
Road Captain

I prefer to ride during the day. You can see debris better which might ruin your ride is you hitit during the night. Also, it is easier to see dips in the road from where vechicles left oil drip marks. Hitting one of those when you are not expecting it increases the pucker factor.

Old 10-01-2007, 12:37 PM
AR_Guy
Tourer

I don't like to ride at night because I can't see the other bikers wave at me. Do you wave at night?

Of course my bike is blue so I'm a little gay anyway.

Old 10-01-2007, 03:09 PM
JBA111
Road Captain

I love to ride the twisties in daytime but I go out boggieing too much and always end up comeing home after the streetlights are on. Last Sat night I run 74 miles and left the chicks house at 2AM and got home arround 4;30AM I run 50-55 on the interstates and 30-40 on the highways so I can see what/;s up thar ahead. If traffic comes up behind I pull off and let it go by.
Dem Spooks is out at night so ya gots to go slow an be careful out thar!!

[/align]

Quick Reply: Is it just me or?