General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Wild Ones or Wild Hogs

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 03:43 PM
LDrider
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Wild Ones or Wild Hogs

A couple of recent posts got me wonderin just how much the "Typical Biker" has changed over the years. With so many adopting a biker image, in rebellion to how lame their real lives have become, their large numbers are affecting (or infecting) the nature of what a biker is (or was).
This one recent post expressed outrage at a proposed Florida law that would make speeding 30 over or more punishable by on the spot forfeiture of ones motorcycle. I was floored by how many seemed to side with "The Man" and would support this. That’s a far cry from what bikers of 20 years ago would have said. Yeah, they might come down hard on the jerks who just ride stupid but you’d be hard pressed to find any that would have supported this outrageous attack on freedom and private property. I consider myself a pretty safe rider but I like to tromp on it when I think it’s safe to do so. Do these "fellow riders" think I should lose my bike if I get caught!(haven’t had a ticket in over 20 yrs.) ****, coming home after a long trip on an almost empty Interstate I might hit 100/110 at times but slow down and be a good citizen when I hit pockets of traffic. It wouldn’t surprise me at all if some of these new bikers would like to see me go splat against the guard rail cause I deserve it for havin the nerve to ride like that. Just read how many come down on you in helmet posts, like your some kind of lowlife if you chose or would like to have the choice not to wear one. A beer or two and ride? You should be shot!
They may have started out as posers and wannabees but now they probably outnumber the traditional, freedom loving, live and let live biker they chose to emulate.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Kolni
Banned
Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
Default RE: Wild Ones or Wild Hogs

Yes I think your bike should be impounded if caught speeding 30 over. You call it an attack on freedom, I call it riding smart. Your freedom ends when you put others at risk. And speeding IS a risk to others.

I could care less if you smoke dope, drink or do whatever....but the minute it has a chance of affecting me then your freedom ends.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:58 PM
x2lee
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Tool....
ORIGINAL: Kolni

Yes I think your bike should be impounded if caught speeding 30 over. You call it an attack on freedom, I call it riding smart. Your freedom ends when you put others at risk. And speeding IS a risk to others.

I could care less if you smoke dope, drink or do whatever....but the minute it has a chance of affecting me then your freedom ends.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:04 PM
celticgent
Road Master

in my opinion,

there are more 'outlaw bikers' on sportbikes than on harleys anymore.

hey, i'm a safety freak myself - i wear a fullface helmet and gloves and a jacket even in hot weather.

but i don't condone losing your bike for speeding.

traffic laws are way too crazy now.

anybody ever see the car movies Vanishing Point,Cannonball Run or Smokey & the Bandit?

those movies would be 3 minutes long nowadays...the police helicopters, gps, etc takes all the fun out of speeding anymore

Old 09-27-2007, 04:04 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior

If they're going to take someones bike for going 30mph over the limit, they better be taking their cages as well. Otherwise you'll have some nasty lawsuits on you're hands.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:06 PM
mojo76
Cruiser

first it's 30 mph then 20 mph. when does it end? next time you get pulled over forspeeding think if we keep passing these bulls@## laws in ten years or so you'll have togive up your car, your right to vote etc..............

Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

10,000 laws to uphold 10 Commandments.................hug a lawyer.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:08 PM
Cynic
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What about 15 over?

Old 09-27-2007, 04:11 PM
UltraKla$$ic
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

ORIGINAL: Cynic

What about 15 over?
You get this----->[sm=violent053.gif]

Old 09-27-2007, 04:14 PM
x2lee
Banned

i think you contradict your self daily.... Just yesterday you wont sigmn a petition by a heartbroke mother over her sons death because" goverment involvment never helps anything" but today its ok for the law to confiscate your bike if you go 30 over the limit... Are you stoned? Or just that obtuse?
https://www.hdforums.com/m_2241764/tm.htm
ORIGINAL: Kolni

Quick Reply: Wild Ones or Wild Hogs