General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

HD rentals

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 01:43 PM
Kodster
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HD rentals

Called up the local HD dealer wanting to rent a bike to help me decide what I want to buy. They tell me that the cost is $125 per day which seems fair, but then he tells me that I have to put a $2000 deposit on my credit card so if the bike gets damaged in any way that $2000 will be charged to my card.[sm=escape.gif]

Is this typical for Harley rentals? Here I thought that this is what insurance is for.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts
Default RE: HD rentals

Typical. Four years ago I rented one in Cabo San Lucas, the deposit was $1000 USD back then but recently two friends of mine got their rentals stolen in Vegas and last thing I heard was they ended up paying $2K each, so yes probably they raised the deposit.

Mimo.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:52 PM
petemac
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Yep, pretty standard. When I rent I get the max insurance from the dealer which limits my deductible greatly if anything happens to the bike. I think the max insurance was like $40/day. Best $40 I spend for the peace of mind. Call and ask them about this. No way I could sleep knowing if someone stole the bike I'd be out 2k.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:50 PM
BeenThere
Novice

I rented a Road King from Eagle Rider a couple of months ago. They charged $130/day for the rental and $24/day for the full damage waver. No deposit.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:25 PM
JohnT
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ORIGINAL: kody_lawrence

Called up the local HD dealer wanting to rent a bike to help me decide what I want to buy. They tell me that the cost is $125 per day which seems fair, but then he tells me that I have to put a $2000 deposit on my credit card so if the bike gets damaged in any way that $2000 will be charged to my card.[sm=escape.gif]

Is this typical for Harley rentals? Here I thought that this is what insurance is for.
The insurance you get with the rental is liability. The deposit only partially covers any damage or theft. Unless you have specific damage insurance (as Eagle Riders offers), you're liable for the total value of the bike. Worth checking out before you rent and ride off.

Old 09-27-2007, 04:31 PM
jbarney5
2nd Gear

My Local Shop Has Demos And Will Let You Ride Them Or The Used Ones But The Rental Sounds Right

Old 09-27-2007, 04:52 PM
June Bug
Stellar HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We've never rented ourselves, but some friends have and yes, they had to have $2,000 available credit on a credit card. I got something in the mail regarding HOG membership and rental prices ... thought oh boy, maybe they have a good deal. No, they don't, and you still have to have the $2,000 available credit.

Old 09-27-2007, 05:33 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yes its typical. They will usually reduce it to $1000 if you take their "better" insurance coverage which also limits your liability to $1000 total.

I don't remember what the insurance rates were, but IMO it was worth the peace of mind knowing that my liability was limited in case something ugly happened.

Remember, with rentals it doesn't matter if you are at fault or the other driver, you are responsible for the rental.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:50 AM
guitarman777
Road Captain

There are different levels of coverage for the damage protection, etc., and that affects the amount of the deposit. I don't know if it's different for the different dealers, but here's what it is at my local dealers' rental locations...

Protection Package - $43.95/day with a $1000 deposit: Combines the Enhanced Damage Waiver, Liability, and Personal Accident/Property Insurance coverages. Flat tire coverage included.

Enhanced Damage Waiver - $29.95/day with a $1000 deposit: Renter responsible for first $1000 of damage or theft to motorcycle only. Flat tire coverage included.

Damage Waiver - $19.95/day with a $2000 deposit: Renter responsible for first $2000 of damage or theft to motorcycle only. No tire coverage.

Liability Insurance - $12.15/day with a $3000 deposit: Provides renter up to $1 million of liability insurance.

Personal Accident/Property Insurance - $9.50/day with a $3000: Provides up to $2500 of personal accident and $1500 of personal property insurance.

I did a rental last Christmas, had my coupon from successfully completing their Rider's Edge MSF course for one free day's rental. On top of that they were doing a special where you rent for two days and get the third one for free. Add the lower price per each additional day you rent to that, and I only paid for the first and fourth days of my 4-day rental. Not too shabby. Most dealership have special deals like to encourage people to do the rentals. Right now my local dealerships are doing 10% off any rental. Not bad all things considered.

Old 09-29-2007, 03:31 AM
ricoman
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's a pretty normal rate and deposit policy. At least similar to the dealer here.
The local dealer does have a rental option not posted - an "open to close" rate, used to be $75.00, now probably $85. Pick the bike up when they open, bring it back the same day before they close. Let's you try out something different from yours. And, depending on availability, you can change bike halfway through the day.

Quick Reply: HD rentals