General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Jack

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005, 07:10 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Jack

Your bio doesn't say what kind of bike you have. If you have a Dyna (like me) you will need a block of wood under the rear tire to get the bike up high enough for the jack to fit under. You will also need a piece of wood on the left rear frame rail to compensate for the guard on the other side. Jack works great with Sporties, Softails, and EG's.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:03 PM
Hog_fever
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a dyna wide glide, and this bike is a joke as far as getting a jack to work on it. Bought the craftsman jack, had to buy frame adapters, rolled bike up on blocks to get it up high enough. Wife rolled jack under bike while I held it up. Took it back to sears and bought there new jack ( the yellow one ) because it sits much lower. New problem, the lifting rails have a square channel connecting them at the front. This channel hits the kickstand spring which doesn't allow the jack to completely roll under the bike. Took it back too. My search continues... As long as you dont have a dyna, you will be happy with the craftsman jack. There new one seems to be a better quality unit and is half the weight. Good luck.

Old 12-04-2005, 08:08 PM
nod
Intermediate

Screwball;

Do you know of a jack that will go under the Dyna (WG) without putting a block under the back wheel? Do you know the deal on the adapter Harley sells for lifting Dynas?

Thanks, nod

Old 12-04-2005, 09:08 PM
BadAssGlide
6th Gear

I have a question. I recently bought an 05 E-Glide standard. I also bought a craftsman motorcycle jack from the guy I bought the bike from. The jack works great, but underneath the frame of the bike near the back there appears to be a slotted configuration in the frame for possibly an OEM type of jack. Does anyone have this and have they been able to work around it?

It seems if I can't get the jack positioned more appropriately in the center of the frame, I won't give it much trust. Any tips would be appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6105/01071C69F92E4285B9D822E69B9B4954.jpg[/IMG]

Old 12-04-2005, 09:13 PM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

www.dunwelllifts.com

I tried two different brands of jacks. None looked or worked good. Too tall for my 05 RK, too wobbly, could not roll bike while it was up in the air. In other words, it did not satisfy me.

I talked to the rep at Dunwell. The put the Dyna heads on the jack, they said they work great on a RK. Love the jack. No tie downs necessary. i have used it for service work and to change the rear tire. It works perfectly.

Watch the video with the guy climbing up and sitting in the passenger seat with the bike on the jack. It is stable.

I also bought the drain pan and the handle extension to roll it around.

Yes, it costs more than the Craftsman jack, but Snap On tools also cost more than the cheep Chinese imports.

Quality is remembered long after the price is forgotton.

You will not go wrong with Dunwell.

Do a search on this forum for Dunwell, you can read what others have to say about this great jack.

Old 12-04-2005, 09:44 PM
Rodent
Road Master

Others that have a Craftsman jack.
http://www.epinions.com/hmgd-Shop_To...splay_~reviews

I tried one from Cosco and returned it the next day. Kept binding up.
I have one from The Motorcycle Shop (actual name of the company) and it worked good on the 99 Fatboy I had, but you needed blocks of wood on it for Twin Cam bikes.

I found these at the swapmeet and this is what I'm looking to get. Very versitale.
http://riderequipment.com

Old 12-04-2005, 09:51 PM
ItsaHarley
Advanced

I bought the Craftsman last week. I have an '06 Dyna and had to use a shim on the left rear to clear the tranny. But I can straddle the bike, slide the jack under with one foot, start jacking the bike up until it is stable on the lift and I can dismount. Same goes for lowering. One the bike gets low enough, I hop back on, can hit the lowering control with one foot then slide the jack out of the way so the bike can rest on its jiffy.
I didn't find these instructions in the owner's manual. But when it's just me, that's how it's gotta get done.

Old 12-04-2005, 10:31 PM
ratmotortom
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: BadAssGlide

I have a question. I recently bought an 05 E-Glide standard. I also bought a craftsman motorcycle jack from the guy I bought the bike from. The jack works great, but underneath the frame of the bike near the back there appears to be a slotted configuration in the frame for possibly an OEM type of jack. Does anyone have this and have they been able to work around it?

It seems if I can't get the jack positioned more appropriately in the center of the frame, I won't give it much trust. Any tips would be appreciated.

[IMG]local://upfiles/6105/01071C69F92E4285B9D822E69B9B4954.jpg[/IMG]

If you are talking about the cross bar in the frame, that is where I position one pad of the jack, in that slot. Mine is a classic though, but that seems to be where it works the best.

Old 12-05-2005, 12:07 AM
sidewinder
Cruiser

I have a AC Delco MC jack. It works fine in my softail deluxe. It is very stable but I ALWAYS use straps as a precaution. I can freely move it around my garage while it is on the jack. It lines up nicely on my frame just in front of the shocks and firmly under the frame in front. I do have to put my front tire on a 2x4 but it rests on the side stand while it is in place so it is no big thing to me as it rolls right up and on. I had the jack for a prior bike so I already had it.

My question is this: Does it hurt to keep it on the jack for a prolonged period of time? I read once where if you are going to store it you should keep the tires off the ground? It is not an issue for me as my bike will never sit for very long, but I do leave it on the jack for a day or so on occasion. It would be as hard to knock the bike over on the stand as it is from the kick stand. It is solid. Thanks. Mark

Old 12-05-2005, 01:52 AM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 65 Posts

Screwball;

Do you know of a jack that will go under the Dyna (WG) without putting a block under the back wheel? Do you know the deal on the adapter Harley sells for lifting Dynas?

Thanks, nod

I bought a cheapo ($49.00) from Harbor Freight. It sits lower than the sears and will slip under my Dyna. I still need a block under the left rear, but I don't have to lift the bike to get the jack under it. It is at our Arizona house, so I can't take a picture.

Harbor freight offers two, the "red" one works. The "yellow" one is just like the Sears.

Quick Reply: Motorcycle Jack