General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Cold Weather

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2005 | 03:32 PM
Danester
|
Road Master
Default Cold Weather

Went for a ride yesterday - - to the winter open house at Patriot HD in Fairfax VA - - it was 28 degrees out and sunny - - Nice Ride! I bundled up, seemed okay- - but today - - gotta bad cold, all congested- - and got yelled at by the wife - -

brings true meaning to the phrase "If I have to Explain, You wouldn't Understand"- -

I'd do it again when I feel better - -

Old 12-04-2005 | 03:38 PM
trebin
Cruiser
Default RE: Cold Weather

You're lucky, my wife won't even speak to me!

Old 12-04-2005 | 04:23 PM
SMenasco
Road Master

Tell your wife that Dr, Rosenfeld says it's a GERM that caused it, not the ride. (Secret Weapon: always quote someone else)

Old 12-04-2005 | 06:11 PM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

Calling for snow tomorrow and tomorrow night in my neck of the woods. Supposedly 2 - 4" tomorrow and 3 - 5" tomorrow night. I'll believe it when I see it but just in case I went for a 1 1/2 hour ride today. Sunny, a little brisk but wonderful. Hit a bunch of back roads running through the woods and fields. Spectacular views.

You are absolutely right about the phrase "If I have to Explain, You wouldn't Understand"

Brian

Old 12-04-2005 | 06:40 PM
KansasHog
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: trebin

You're lucky, my wife won't even speak to me!

That could be good or bad depending on your situtaion!!!

Old 12-04-2005 | 07:16 PM
screwball
Outstanding HDF Member

Wife and I went for a short ride to breakfast this morning. It was 55 when we left about 9:00. It is 2:15 now and 56*. Will probably go riding in a bit to the Mall in Northridge, about 30 miles 1 way.

Old 12-04-2005 | 11:13 PM
Budds
Tourer

Had a couple of rides the last week that went long..... bringing me home after Sunset.
Mid 40's one evening, which even tho I'm in Florida.... Made me re-think some of my riding Gear.
( Warm weather has spoiled me into "Light" Leather gloves, jeans, Leather Jacket and longsleves or SweatShirt at best. )

Gotta quit tuffing it out this time around, and get some "Heavy" Gear for those Nippy Days !
Never owned a pair of Chaps..... But will get a pair soon. ( A light mist of rain convinced me and "The Twins" that warm/dry legs Aint really a BAD thing !

Gloves !
Gotta quit making due with old "Ski-Gloves" and such... and get a pair of "Real" Leathers with a wide enough cuff to cover the jacket sleaves.
Might even consider some thing for my face.
Altho I got Full-Face, wind still seems to find its way in around my cheeks and nose.

Anyways....
PERFECT Day Today !
70's and Breezee..... Took a 50 mile "Lunch-Run" with wife and her Mom and Dad. ( He has an old Virago he likes to tinker with. )
Little traffic.... took the back roads when able..... Nice gentle curve roads that take you though farm land and tree farms.
( Counting all the "Big" Blood -Splatters on the road made me a little un-easy, and I was expecting an eight point to dart out from the shoulder brush any minute ! )

Long lazy drive... wife almost fell asleep on the way home.
We get home and start shopping for some new Gear to have for Friday coming, when we have to attend a Company Dinner for X-Mas.
We are hoping the weather will afford us the chance to take the Bike.
( My wife has really gotten into the whole Scooter Scene... and is already pushing me to buy another bike.... for.... ME !!!! )

I consider myself Blessed.........
I Love my Harley, or Hers...Lol ! And I am Lucky to have a spouse that not only supports.... but Truely digs it as well !
Her Dad wants to got to Sturgis this year.... and shes all for it !
But I gotta tell ya I cant help but think of the LONG drive.... dont wanna put the miles on the Scoot..... So have to buy a trailer.
Im So close to Leesburg... and Daytona.... Tons of Events everywhere around me in North Florida....
But Dad says.. " Aint nothin like STURGIS !!! ".... *sigh*....

Anyways......

Stay Well.........

Budds.......................

Old 12-04-2005 | 11:20 PM
bsea
Road Captain

We must be in the same neck of the woods. It was pretty cold here yesterday, but since the weather guessers said it was supposed to snow/rain the rest of the week, I had to scratch my itch and went on about a 1.5 hour ride. Bundled up and was pretty comfortable, but my hands got pretty cold. I suppose I need heated gloves or grips, but I figure I don't ride in the cold enough to justify the expense. Then, woke up this morning to find that the high was going to be in the 50's. I promised the wife that I would put the Christmas decorations up if she took the kids to their soccer game. About the time she pulled out of the driveway, I had the helmet and leathers on and away I went. I got back before she did and got started with the lights. When she asked about my obvious lack of progress, I blamed "technical difficulties." I think she's onto me, though, because the bike was still warm. Ah well, itch scratched, bracing for a bit of bad weather now. (Liable to be pretty cold inside the house too, if you catch my drift).

Bill

Old 12-04-2005 | 11:29 PM
FireHawk
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Budds

Altho I got Full-Face, wind still seems to find its way in around my cheeks and nose.

When I rode before, I discovered that the woolen scarf that I had no use for in the Marine Corps worked very well wrapping around my neck and just over my mouth with my full face helment. Nice and toasty. Alas, I left my saddle bags on the bike one night (stupid, stupid, stupid) and when the bags were stolen the scarf went with them.

I would think an army surplus store would carry them.

Old 12-04-2005 | 11:34 PM
Unibomber
Road Captain

Um yeah our High is around 20 degrees right now, with bone chilling winds, so im outta luck. But I did order me a nice propane heater so I can tinker with the bike during the winter.