General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Laid down bike response

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 04:08 PM
Julz883
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Laid down bike response

I had the worst experience last year I got a 2006 Harley 883 sportster & i couldnt wait to ride it. My husband has a 1981 kawasaki kz 750. which he rarely let me ride down the driveway. So I got fed up & b4 i even signed the papers for the loan. I dropped it in the middle of the busiest intersection Commerce & broadway to be exact. I was so humiliated & hurt bloody knees elbows. All of my coworkers knew i was going to test my bike I was 2 embarrased to tell anyone my husband was riduculing me He is sooooo jealous I have a Harley. I had to get the bike & Realized it was the drag bars
& the weight because my husbands bike was 250 pounds lighter. I started when i was 19 on a rebel 250. That was the last i really rode. I was so sad about my bike i cald it the bitch because i put 200 miles up & mdown our 1/4 mile drive I dopped it one more time on the slick grass but it wasnt running I now tide 200-300 miles weekly to work. which is the whole reason i got the bik. Now i cant give it up although I have seen terrible accidents I keep on going because NOTHING gives me as much pleasure as riding my bike. Besides for my children of course. My advice would be keep on going because riding is worth the risk for the joy it brings. Hope my horror story helps u in somw way Because I like u Quesioned to give up or not & I am still going strong 70 miles daily to work on mine
Julz883@yahoo.com

Old 09-26-2007, 04:24 PM
JollyRogers
Road Master
Default RE: Laid down bike response

WElcome to the forum and congrats on getting past the drop and riding that "horse". Wish my wife would. Put her on the Dyna and said go for it... she almost dropped it and called it quits. Honestly, I am wrong letting her try it on a dyna and should have her on a 250 or something, but it is the "extra" horse in the stable... BTW a sporty can be kinda top heavy.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:38 PM
Bleuknight
Cruiser

A sporty is real top heavy..I sat on a Street glide or Road glide..I get them confused..it was well balanced! much nicer feel then a sporty.. My Ultra is just plain heavy..but not like a sporty..you should try a bike like that (Street glide, Road glide, or Road King)....enjoy your ride and welcome to the site...
ride on, ride a lot.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:04 PM
aframe2
Cruiser

When I first started riding I sat on a sportster and said if I have to start on this bike I wouldn't ride. It felt like I was 10 feet up in the air. It was so top heavy, I would have dropped it also. There was a fatboy sitting next to it. I sat on it, it felt way better balance wise, even though it was heavier. I picked the fatboy and had never rode before. I don't know why so many women pick a sportster as their first Harley. I would advise a womean totry a deluxe or afatboy, especially if they had rode some other bike before the Harley.

Old 09-26-2007, 07:35 PM
bosnmate
Banned

Welcome to the forumn and welcome to world of riding. Dropping the bike in the most embarassing of circumstances is part of the initiation into riding.

Old 09-26-2007, 08:49 PM
1200babe
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you are taught to ride properly with good balance and throttle controla sporty is a joy to ride- they hug corners and with so little weight to horsepower ratio they are a really quick bike. If someone can't keep a sporty up they will also have trouble with any other bike.Really though -get the bike YOU want, learn to ride well and enjoy the sport!