General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saw accident (after) on BRP, Sep 15, hope none of us.

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 01:26 AM
capt775
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Saw accident (after) on BRP, Sep 15, hope none of us.

After riding the Dragon we headed up the BRP. Came across a MC accident at a road intersection. Bike on it's side, rider lying on the curb in the center used to form the intersection. About 20 other riders were there standing around and slowing traffic. After we got safely by I signaled my guys that I was going back to check on the guy and see if anyone there had any medical training.

First guy I rode up to I asked, he said the lady crouching with him was a nurse and that the units were already on the way. I felt that with the crowd and bikes parked everywhere and traffic that I couldn't have been much more help anyway so I continued on.

It looked like the group was turning left and the rider may have not negotiated the turn and hit the curb. Just a guess though. I hope that it wasn't any member of this forum, and that whom ever it was he is ok. I just though that as many bikes that were there and as many members that this forum has someone may know about it, I did a search but didn't find any posts on it. Ya'll stay safe, it was to great a day to let an accident ruin it for anyone.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:12 AM
TraumaKing
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Saw accident (after) on BRP, Sep 15, hope none of us.

capt775
You know as well as I do that (most but not all)clinical nurses are clueless and of no use on an accident scene as are most physicians. You being in the FD are more apt to properly sustain someone pre hospital than most.

titleAndStar(200,0,0,false,",")

Old 09-26-2007, 08:41 AM
capt775
Road Master

ORIGINAL: TraumaKing

capt775
You know as well as I do that (most but not all)clinical nurses are clueless and of no use on an accident scene as are most physicians. You being in the FD are more apt to properly sustain someone pre hospital than most.

titleAndStar(200,0,0,false,",")
Yes, I totally agree with you and have run into this type situation many times in the past.

"Excuse me I'm a doctor."
"Sir, what is your field."
"Oh, I'm a dentist."

You've seen it too. Only thing that made me feel better about leaving was she appeared to be holding inline on him so I figured she had some trauma training and PT assessment.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:56 AM
Xocjm
Tourer

I don't mean to belittle and I don't know what either of you do for a living but if I'm at a crash site I'll take a nurse or a dentist over someone with no medical training because even the dentist is required by law to know proper CPR.

Old 09-27-2007, 11:12 AM
TraumaKing
Banned

Next time your in a wreck remember to call your orthodontist and don't bother 911.

Old 09-27-2007, 12:09 PM
Bigbender
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Trauma,
I don't want to start an argument but obviously you didn't read the Captain's post very closely. There was a nurse on the scene and help was on the way. You're awful quick to criticize a medical professional that you don't even know. Does it bother you that someone else at an accident scene may an education in the medical field ? I guess she should have just stood back and let the guy bleed while everyone waited for a paramedic (like you) to come riding in fifteen minutes later and "save the day".

I take insult to your post because my wife's a registered nurse and started her career with three full years of education (on the job in the hospital). She has further education in trauma care, pediatrics and something else for old people. She's worked as a home nurse for 20 years and yes, she's actually saved car accident victims. They still send her cards... I wouldn't care if there's a nurse, a family doctor or a surgeon at the scene, all of them are going to do their best with what they have on hand. Keep in mind that they're not hauling around a truckload of medical equipment like you are.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:46 PM
TraumaKing
Banned

Bigbender I personaly could care a less if you take offence to my post thats your problem not mine. I read the capt's post just fine. I applaude your wife that is fantasic and more so than not an exception to the rule. If you spent any time in the feild I wouldnt even have to reply to this whinning post of yours.

If your wife is upset about the post she can relay her thoughts to me.

Just because there is a "doctor" or a "nurse" on the scene means absolutley squat! More times than not they are problematic ( but not always).Most of the time they stand there and "gasp" in horror.

If this bothers you that much scurry off to another section of the forum and whine to someone else.

Old 09-27-2007, 03:51 PM
Solitaree1
Road Master

ORIGINAL: Bigbender

Trauma,
I don't want to start an argument but obviously you didn't read the Captain's post very closely. There was a nurse on the scene and help was on the way. You're awful quick to criticize a medical professional that you don't even know. Does it bother you that someone else at an accident scene may an education in the medical field ? I guess she should have just stood back and let the guy bleed while everyone waited for a paramedic (like you) to come riding in fifteen minutes later and "save the day".

I take insult to your post because my wife's a registered nurse and started her career with three full years of education (on the job in the hospital). She has further education in trauma care, pediatrics and something else for old people. She's worked as a home nurse for 20 years and yes, she's actually saved car accident victims. They still send her cards... I wouldn't care if there's a nurse, a family doctor or a surgeon at the scene, all of them are going to do their best with what they have on hand. Keep in mind that they're not hauling around a truckload of medical equipment like you are.
I guess you didn't read his post very carefully, he says most, not all nurses and doctors.

and yeah, it's one thing to deal with a medical emergency in a well equipped ER..oh, I guess most nurses (see the word MOST) don't work in ER's. And it's entirely another animal to deal with a medical emergency out in the field with limited or NO equipment. No one is or was trying to put down your wife.

Old 09-27-2007, 06:48 PM
Hawgnuttz
Tourer

Is there a Psychologist in the house!!

Old 09-27-2007, 06:59 PM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain

if I'm in a wreck, or otherwise injured,I'd prefer to be administered to by a physician than a fireman. Well, that is, unless I'm on fire.

Quick Reply: Saw accident (after) on BRP, Sep 15, hope none of us.