Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob or Fat Boy????

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 11:54 PM
zuma
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fat Bob or Fat Boy????

I have narrowed my final selections to a Fat Bob or Fat boy. I know they are very different and the Fat boy is a Fat Boy! Can anybody shed some light on the long term investment or if they have seen the Fat Bob yet. I drove to a an HD dealer and sat on the Fat Bob and it feels comfortable, I will need to extend the front controls as the fit is a wrap around engine fit. I think the FB is sporty. I know there are many more options for the Fat boy and the history and reputation is tops. Price is also a benefit here and it is my first bike.

Thank you in advance for any feedback,

zuma

Old 09-26-2007, 12:21 AM
scrappy883r
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Fat Bob or Fat Boy????

ORIGINAL: zuma

I think the FB is sporty.
Umm, last time Iknew, the Fat Bob was from the Dyna family.But maybe it is up around here in New Hampshire is where the Fat Bob is from the Dyna family.

Old 09-26-2007, 12:30 AM
zuma
Road Captain

I know they are from different sides of the street, It's where i am at after checking out all the models. Should I be looking at one family only?

Old 09-26-2007, 12:36 AM
Bowtieman31
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm not really sure what you're asking. The Fat Bob is in the Dyna family and the Fat Boy is a Soft tail. They are totally different bikes. The Dyna does not have the counter balanced engine the Soft Tail does. If you're going long distance riding, I think the Soft Tail gives a better ride, If you're bar hopping or short cruising, the Dynais probably the better choice. The best advice is to rent one of each, put 200-300 miles on them, perform some low speed exercises with them and make your choice. This will help you make an intelligent choice on which bike fits you the best. It will be money well spent in the long run. There's nothing worse than making a $20K+ investment and being unhappy with it.

Old 09-26-2007, 06:10 AM
mattyfatty
Cruiser

arnold dint ride no fatbob

Old 09-26-2007, 07:03 AM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

2 totally different rides. U need 2 test ride. Personally, I like the Fat Bob. My $.04

Old 09-26-2007, 10:19 AM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Having had a Fatboy, I can tell you its nice to have floorboards, you can put an engine guard on and have highway pegs, you can put a windshield on and I think it looks okay. I did get a chance to sit on a Fatbob down in Chandler AZ. It felt nice, looked great, comfortable position, it looks thick and tough. However (my .02), I think for long distance having one foot position can get tiresome.

Old 09-26-2007, 10:45 AM
NorCalDyna
Cruiser

I generally prefer Dynas over Softails, as I like the feel of the non-counterbalanced engine and the more nible handling of the less raked out models. That said, between the Fat Boy and the Fat Bob, I'd go with the Fat Boy. To me, it's just a nicer looking bike with cleaner lines and more classic styling. I also think the footboards are a nice alternative to standard pegs. Personally, if I were in the position of buying a new bike right now, I'd skip straight to a Road King or other touring model. To my eyes, the RK is just as nice looking as the Fat Boy but gives quite a bit more for the money - detachable windshield, bags, smoother riding suspension, etc..

Old 09-26-2007, 10:54 AM
3power
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I like the new Fat Bob. In my neck of the woods, Fat Boys are everywhere . . and they just don't stand out to me anymore. Great bikes, but my area has become saturated with them. Also, the Bob has a better max lean angle if you're in to riding the twisty stuff.

Old 09-26-2007, 11:19 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's purely personal taste. I much prefer the softail and thus would have to go with the fat boy. I do have to add that it is my least favorite softail. I like bags and a windshield on my bike and the exhaust on the fatboy dictates you have to go to smaller bags that look out of place on the bike.

Quick Reply: Fat Bob or Fat Boy????