Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Fat Bob or Fat Boy????

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2007, 12:28 PM
sharkey
Grand HDF Member
Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts
Default RE: Fat Bob or Fat Boy????

If you're gonna like aggresive riding in the curves; the Dyna has it. You can upgrade the suspension a lot easier. On the superslab and down mainstreet the Softail would be the one...my opinion.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:08 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd say the fat bob also would be a great long distance ride regardless counter-balanced or not... the tour bikes aren't balanced.

Wow.. first I've seen of the fat bob... Now that's cool.. I like just to the point I get to the rear bobtail fender.. A rounded off fender more like the front fender such as on the low-rider would look better, TO ME (keywords).. as it's all personal preferences. Interesting dual triumph-like headlights.. A nice risk as well.. something different.

But I'd venture to say the fatbob would probably handle and ride better as it's a dyna frame which is designed for performance whereas the softail frame is designed for looks, though I'm satisfied with my fatboy's ride and handling somewhat.. BUT, the softail can probably sit lower seat-depending also because of the frame. Also I forget the new fatboys have the thick rear tire.. don't know that I could call that a plus when it comes to handling.. Haven't riden one. I'd be inclined to prefer the 180 myself on the bob.

Some extended controls on the bob and you could be very comfortable.. I only use the floorboards for short, conjested or slow-speed situations or curvy road, otherwise I'm up on highway pegs, so again it's all personal preference.

Interesting chrome rocker covers but blacked primary and cam covers.. I'd swap to black rockers as well and finish off the look.

Old 09-26-2007, 03:18 PM
jc_denton
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ever since the Fat Bob came out I thought it blew the Fat Boy away. Get the Fat Bob. It looks much better and is about 3k cheaper.

Old 09-26-2007, 09:20 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

There you go. Money talks.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:30 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

You'll know when you get the two side by side and just sit on the things... I thought I might like a wide glide or low-rider till I sat on them.. There's a saying you sit "on" a tourbike or dyna and you sit "in" a softail.. Now, grain of salt there with stock seats and handlebars.. swapping those make dramatic seat position / posture changes.. All depends which bike really just plain fits.. like a nice pair of shoes. But also the rake geometry is a little different too..

Honestly, if there's any way to do a test ride, at least around the block.. That would be a great tool.. That may clinch it for you. Whoops, I just reread that it's your first bike.. oh boy.. Well, if you've riden cruisers and know what's comfortable, all the better.

Whichever you get, we'll need PICS!!! hehe

Old 09-27-2007, 01:42 PM
mimo
Extreme HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

On those choices I'd go with the Fat Bob but just because I already have a Fat Boy. If you choose the Fat Bob, first thing you have to do is get rid of that FUGLY exhaust pipe and replace it with a nice after-market 2 into 1.

Mimo.

Old 09-27-2007, 01:44 PM
blaw
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm a long-time fan of the Fatboy, but I just don't like what they did, to the 07s and 08s. The holes in the wheels and the pointy graphics really detract from an otherwise great design. Even the changes to the seat trim were, in my opinion, for the worse.

Old 09-27-2007, 02:13 PM
Babs
Outstanding HDF Member

Blaw I have to agree. Ever since the 200 or whatever size fat rear tire, and the nike swoosh, I lost interest in them. If I get a 34T pulley on my scoot, I'll have about all I need to any of the new ones have, minus the inches.. That'd be great but ya know.. I have no power problems.. Gets me there just fine, but when I get there I'd like to have the lower RPM's.. "udda dan dat.. I'm just peeeachy". ..name that movie quote.

I dissaggree about the exhaust on the bob.. I like it.. goes to show it's all about personal preference.
Man, the more I look at that Bob... Do the Bob man! Do the Bob.