General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How do you handle uneven lanes??

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 PM
Slick02
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default How do you handle uneven lanes??

Ok, here's the senerio...4 lane hiway... Last night I merge on the interstate and see that they are laying new asphalt on the inside (passing) lane and the traffic was moving at a pretty good clip on the new pavement (70ish). The slow lane was living up to it's name at speedsof about 50 with alot of merging on and off and braking. I normally moveover to the left and get the heck outta dodge for the 4 or 5 miles until out of townand the traffic thins abit. I looked at the 2 or 3 inch rise in pavement and decided I didnt want to chance going up it so I took a deep breath and accepted that I was staying in the creeper lane until the end of the new asphalt. Going down it it would have been no problem, but going up that lipat such a slight angle and gaining speed to merge into the faster traffic just gave me the "hair on the back of the neck" alarm. I've been riding bikes about 3 years, but this is the first time I've had this decision and just wonered how you "Old Hands" would have handeled this situation.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:31 PM
marcss
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: How do you handle uneven lanes??

There should have been a "step" or "radius" on the edge of that new pavement. If not, then I would have done like you and avoided it. I don't even like the freeway seams here in L.A.. Some can get kind of wide.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:39 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

Exactly like you did.....stay away, until you find it ends, or where the lip is not so pronounced......thats about all you can do.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:41 PM
FXSTI Guy
Banned

Been there...stayed put.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
tlb
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

good choice, I had not considered this event.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:56 PM
theoldguy
Tourer

I don't even like going over those in my car. You did thr right thing, staying in your lane til the bitter end.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:58 PM
Slick02
Tourer

Thanks. This was at night and in the dark I couldn't tell if it was beveledor not. It was just one of those odd things that in a car or truck you wouldn'thave given it a second thought, but on a bike it looked like it was gonna eat me for lunch and over the next 5 miles I kept thinking about it until it was like a song bouncing around your head and you cant get ride of it. I'mnot second guessing my decision, I was just curious if I was being over cautious.If I could have taken a better angle at it I might have done different but with the traffic and speed differences, there was no way I was going to try it.It all worked out.. I rode and I parked at my house later that night, thats the important part.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:59 PM
anubisss
Banned
Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

Went over one like that on the way to Laughlin in 2006. Looked really bad but rode right over it almost like it wasn't there.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:25 PM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain

heheh. attack that morkinforkin.

Joking aside, converge on the other lane at an angle.

In other words, don't ride with the raised lane, or parallel to it, if that makes sense.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:55 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

A fast lane change is the way to do it. Make the motorcycle's gyroscopic effect work for you. Swing into the raised edge quickly at an angle, and just as quickly,once on the new surface swing onto the straight line. It will feel like you just took a large bump, that's about all.

Quick Reply: How do you handle uneven lanes??