General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHECK YOUR METZLER TIRES (BRAZIL)

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 11:08 AM
shooter64
Former Sponsor
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: CHECK YOUR METZLER TIRES (BRAZIL)

Got the scoop from my Drag Rep, who talked to the Metz main development guy, and is also in charge of quailty control.

1. They are producing almost twice the number of tires as they were 4 years ago, and they have almost the same amount of failures as they did 4 years ago, not the same per centage, the same number. They say this is due to upgrading their production facilities, equipment, etc.

2. They have pretty much the same number of failures from Germany as they do Brazil, so just cause your tire says Brazil on it, DO NOT be alarmed.

3. The MAJORITY of failures Metz sees is directly due to under inflation. Metz's take about 10% more inflation than due dunlops, and ALOT of shops and consumers have tires that are under inflated, which makes your tire heat up extremely quick, and causes the side wall problem.

4. Metz is by their own account, and Drag confirms, very good about taking care of the tires, even when it's not their fault.

5. They have seen failures (more than you would think) from rear tires being mounted on the front, and front's bein mounted on the rear, which leads to a severe torque and overweight situation.

6. They have a toll free number for questions, 800-747-3554 at the prompt press 2, if you do not get someone leave a voice mail, someone will call you back.

Hope this helps, I run Metz tires and belive in them 100%, I just bought an 07 tahoe and it has the tire pressure sensing technology, and I am suprised how much my tire pressure varies, I do not know how accurate it is, but I belive the trend, lower or higher is accurate.

Buy a GOOD gauge and check your tires, if yu have problems, call the Metz number, they will take care of you, and want to hear if you have problems, as well as Drag does.

Bart

Old 09-28-2007, 11:57 AM
PhilM
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the follow-up, Bart!

Like I said in my earlier post.... I run my rear 880 @ 50~52psi cold.

In addition to the higher pressures than we are "accustomed to", you should also pay attention to the load ratings. They vary from size to size. In fact a 150/x/18has a 40~50 lb LOWER load rating than a 140/x/18.

I know fat tires may look cool, but the one pictured in the 1st post in this thread doesn't look too cool to me! I have the 140 on the back of mine..... but that's just me.

Old 09-28-2007, 12:42 PM
shooter64
Former Sponsor

Phil, you are right, the 140 is a superior tire, because it's carcass is built specifically for baggers....to carry the load.

Old 09-28-2007, 01:09 PM
Neckball
Stellar HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

we are shocked by the amount of consumers riding with tires grossly under inflated.
Not taking anyone's side in this but there is a great deal of truth to what they're saying. I read a magazine article about 2 years ago where two reps from Dunlop were at the Honda Hoot. They both took their tire pressure gauges and spent two days checking tire pressures on bikes in the parking lot. Something like 82% were underinflated. We all need to be sure to check the air pressure often.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:32 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: TexasRanger

While I totally agree with what you are saying, the Metzler Rep told my Indy dealer to run the 140 with a MINIMUM of 50 lbs of pressure on a bagger. If you are running at 40 (std for stock dunlops) in a Metz you are not running near enough air pressure.
I call bull. All tire carcasses of the same sizes are constructed, more or less, the same way, using - mostly - the same thickness and fundamental designs. The major differences are in tread design, profile and, of course, compound.

There is no way I'm running 50psi in a standard tire.

*edit*

I stand corrected. Metzeler publishes considerably higher pressures. Seems crazy to me, but hey... whatever.

They must use one HELL of a thicker carcass and a MUCH stronger bead design. Still kinda scary.

Old 03-05-2008, 04:36 PM
chornbe
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

ORIGINAL: biz44

as I said in my first reply to this thread.....the pics posted of the tire that failed looked EXACTLY like a classic under-inflation (low pressure failure) catastrophic heat failure, and nothing at all to do with how the tire was constructed......but that was just my snap diagnosis from looking at a pic over the net......what the hell do I know????
Agreed, especially if the bike was being ridden 2-up.

Old 03-05-2008, 05:48 PM
06train
Road Warrior

SUMBEACH!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 11-09-2008, 02:21 PM
PearlRKC
Stage I

Great. After all the digging and searching decided on aset of 880's for a '06 FLHRSI. Dealership told me the only tire besides the lops that would fit was the Commander. I've used it up and wanted to know if the 140/90H-16 (880) is the same as the MU85 B16 77H (Commander) and now this. Orginally looking at Avon Venoms... any thoughts?

Old 11-09-2008, 02:42 PM
eagle56
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do metzlers have a 200mm my dunlops are crap in the wet.

Got metzlers on my winter hack with great results

Old 11-09-2008, 03:00 PM
02ULTRA
Road Captain

This subject seems to come up every 3-4 months on this forum. Metzelers are superior handling tires on both dry and wet conditions. I have 35-40K miles on ME880s with no troubles. As stated many times, under-inflation is the main cause of tire failure for any brand tire. Add riding two-up on an under inflated tire and you are sure to have problems. My local indy tire shop sells all brands, they told me they see more defects in the Dunlops than any other.
Bottom line, don't panic, regularly check air pressure and make sure to have the correct load rating for your bike and all is good.

Quick Reply: CHECK YOUR METZLER TIRES (BRAZIL)