General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

CHECK YOUR METZLER TIRES (BRAZIL)

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 PM
madelf
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: CHECK YOUR METZLER TIRES (BRAZIL)

ORIGINAL: cardboard

I got the 880's on front and back of my bike, had no traction issues. I lay curves at 70-80 mph. Rode at 90 on the interstate in the rain. no problems either. To me they ride better than dunlops.
His traction issues were with stopping. The wheels would lock and skid easily if he had to brake hard, even on dry pavement. It was so bad he nearly crashed because of it. After that he parked the bike until he could get new tires. He said he never had that problem with his old tires, it didn't show up until he had the Metzlers put on. I don't know what Metzler tire they were, just that they were whitewalls.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:26 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Been riding Metzlers for years, and never had a "traction" problem. As far as locking up the rear wheel....never happened when I didn't want it to. I like the traction in the wet MUCH better than the Dunlops....and I like Dunlop tires. Right now I am running ME 880 Marathons front and rear....both say MADE IN GERMANY.

PS: As said above they do feel better at higher PSI though. I keep the rear at no less than 40psi, and the front 38psi cold.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:41 PM
biz44
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: kingtut73

heres the info i called the stealership

metzler ME880
150/70/18
build date 11/06

made in brazil

call the dealership and ask.
im just looking out for us because if we dont who will?
good luck and check yo chit!
So is the problem isolated to this size and build date or was that just the size of the tire that failed?
Alos......is it a problem with the tires themselves, or with operating pressure.....because that pic of the failed tire looks like a classic low pressure failure to me?????

Old 09-25-2007, 10:05 PM
kingtut73
Cruiser

wehad the dealership checkthe psi before the ride. i didnt know about the problem until i brought the damaged tire to the dealership.
the parts mgr got on the phone and ask the dist. "whats up with these metz tires from brazil?this is the 2nd one this week.
the 1st one was a front tire 21inch.

im not trying to bash metzler or scare anyone i just want to bring it to fellow riders attention. i happen to likemetzler tires. i got the same exact tire back on my bike (its from germany.) if i was scared i would have bought another brand.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:11 PM
IRready
Road Master

Just checked mine. They are made in Brazil. Here are the sizes:
Front 130/90/16 MC 67H
Rear 150/80/16 MC 71H

Is the problem with ALL metzlers? My tires are from last summer. Please let me know if I need to check into this further. Thanks for the heads up.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:21 PM
IRready
Road Master

I just emailed Metzler on their web site with my tire information. I will post their reply when I get it.

Old 09-25-2007, 10:45 PM
2swild
Tourer

Please let me know anything as soon as you find out. I just put two brand new metezeler's on my deuce this spring and have been having troubles with the front ever since. I have to keep aclose eye on it everytime I ride. When they areinflated properly they are a dream, but my front keeps loosing air pressure for some reason. I know most people will say that I have a leak but I along with many other people have checked it over and cannot find one.

Old 09-25-2007, 11:08 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

I got the 880's on front and back of my bike, had no traction issues. I lay curves at 70-80 mph. Rode at 90 on the interstate in the rain. no problems either. To me they ride better than dunlops.
90 in the rain??????? Either you are full of BS, or your not full of enough brains, which one is it?

Old 09-25-2007, 11:16 PM
kingtut73
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: hdtwice

90 in the rain??????? Either you are full of BS, or your not full of enough brains, which one is it?
i guess he was trying to get home fast... he had to go "poop"

Old 09-27-2007, 01:49 PM
IRready
Road Master

Here was Metzlers response to the tire question.

Thank you for the e-mail and being a Metzeler customer. Lets try to focus and look at facts to help you understand the situation. In 2006 our sales increases from 2002 have increased by over 100% and this is because of our clear focus on the cruiser/touring market. In 2007 we are again seeing double digit growth while the motorcycle business in general is flat. Please note that no other tire company goes to the lengths to test and then offer consumers the choice of tire sizes for metric and V-twins like Metzeler. We are famous for our Stage 1 and Stage 2 upgrades and for 2007 we have added even more choices including many new 2007 models.
Please rest assured that we are very serious about the quality of our products, and we monitor the warranty claims very closely. We are proud to tell you even with the 2006 sales increase our warranty claim rate percentage has not increased and it is still at the same low level as in 2002.
As a company that actively interacts with the dealers and consumers (supporting the dealers that sell and install) at rallies and events across the country over the last five years we are shocked by the amount of consumers riding with tires grossly under inflated. This lack of correct air pressure or using the incorrect non approved tires is causing the majority of the complaints, but you never can read or see this on the forums and hence where the mis-information comes from.
We always suggest that consumers use our brochure as a reference for fitment and air pressure requirements. These brochures can be picked up at a local dealer, from a dealer at a rally, at each of the Cycle World IMS shows across the country, or by simply downloaded from our web site. Thank you again and I hope this information is helpful and used properly.
Ride Safe
US Metzeler Moto

Thank you for your interest in our company and products.
Best Regards.
Customer Service
Metzeler MOTO

P.S. Visit our web site at the
http://www.us.metzelermoto.com

Quick Reply: CHECK YOUR METZLER TIRES (BRAZIL)