General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Awareness Petition

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2007, 10:56 AM
joeysmom
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Motorcycle Safety Awareness Petition

I'm tired of seeing these senseless losses. I'm tired of attending funerals of riders whose deaths could have been prevented. Please help me to show our congressmen and women that something has to be done.

If you agree with these ideas, please sign this petition and give some of your own ideas. Once it reaches 1000 signatures, I will forward it on to every government official I can, to show them that this is a concern of many.

http://www.thepetitionsite.com/petition/739194492

Old 09-23-2007, 11:08 AM
anubisss
Banned
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Safety Awareness Petition

I signed...

Old 09-23-2007, 11:17 AM
uweldit
Road Captain
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

First of all, I'm sorry for your loss and I can't even begin to understand the unimaginable grief that you have experienced that only a parent knows...I'm also tired of reading about accidents/deaths as well.

I agree with you and your idea that this is a cause worthy of our 1000% devotion and effort.

It's really strange that I was having this same thought process the other day becuse I am tired of being cut-off, tail gated, etc.

I remember when I was growing up, the TV stations used to have Public Service Announcement (PSA)spotsabout:

1.watching out for kids playing (summer)
2. kids backto school/school zones/crosswalks
3.Safe vehicle driving/lights on for safety
4. Watch out for the other guy
5. Watch out for motorcyclists
6. Speed kills

I have recently done some research on the FCC's (Federal Communications Commission) web site and from what I understand is that each TV/Radio station using the public airwaves must "serve the interests of the public" but they don't say how any more!

It seems over the years the FCC has relaxed requirements for "Public Service Announcements" over the years. I've also researched the "Ad Council" (they make PSAs) and found nothing sbout driving/motorcycles, etc.

What do you think aboutpetitioning the FCC, Ad Council, HDand the MSF to get public service announcements back on the air. Who knows, that 30 second spot shown frequently enough may help drivers to get re-aquanted with motorcycles on america's roads and perhaps reduce the number of senseless tragedies.

Thoughts?
UW

Old 09-23-2007, 11:22 AM
joeysmom
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: uweldit

I have recently done some research on the FCC's (Federal Communications Commission) web site and from what I understand is that each TV/Radio station using the public airwaves must "serve the interests of the public" but they don't say how any more!

It seems over the years the FCC has relaxed requirements for "Public Service Announcements" over the years. I've also researched the "Ad Council" (they make PSAs) and found nothing sbout driving/motorcycles, etc.

What do you think aboutpetitioning the FCC, Ad Council, HDand the MSF to get public service announcements back on the air. Who knows, that 30 second spot shown frequently enough may help drivers to get re-aquanted with motorcycles on america's roads and perhaps reduce the number of senseless tragedies.

Thoughts?
UW
EXCELLENT suggestions. I will also send the final petition to these groups, with your suggestions attached. I believe that the more people that are made aware of our concerns, the greater the chances are of being heard and affecting change. Thank you sooooo much for contributing to this cause !!!

Old 09-23-2007, 11:37 AM
barefoot1313
Tourer

im in

Old 09-23-2007, 12:41 PM
kuip
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So sorry for your loss. I signed. I know firsthand how devastating your loss is

Old 09-23-2007, 01:05 PM
joeysmom
6th Gear

ORIGINAL: kuip

So sorry for your loss. I signed. I know firsthand how devastating your loss is
Thank you so much, and I am so sorry for your loss as well, knowing how life changing it is.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:17 PM
lbjohnson1
Road Master

Sorry for the loss of your son, I signed and will remember to pray for you and this cause.

Old 09-23-2007, 01:45 PM
Fearless1
Tourer

Great idea, I signed!!

Old 09-23-2007, 02:23 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Received 38 Likes on 34 Posts

I signed.