General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Motorcycle Safety Awareness Petition

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2007, 09:34 PM
Punky Brewster
Banned
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: Motorcycle Safety Awareness Petition

Ok guys lets not start a debate here,if so go start another thread on the issue.
Lori Lott(Joeysmom) lost her son & is trying to make a difference.It's not a law issue but an awareness issue.She has a big task at hand,but I applaud her for taking on the fight.Hell if Lori makes enough noise,some cager just might one day be held accountable for killing one of our brothers.From what I see Lori doesn't want to make a change,,,,,she want to make a difference,,,,,,,,,,nothin wrong in that.
This is JMHO on the issue but debating here is not.

Old 09-27-2007, 10:42 PM
Fla Glide
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I signed and agree we need more education on sharing the road.. A law will not change a thing but a education can change everything. Great job Lori and I'm sorry for your loss

Old 09-28-2007, 07:18 AM
NightBob
Advanced

Up to 357 signatures on this thing.

Come on, guys and gals. Get 'er done.

Old 09-28-2007, 07:42 AM
joeysmom
6th Gear

I am touched by this outpouring of support and am truly greatful that you are all helping me to take a stand. This is not just for my son, but for ALL the lives taken from us unnecessarily. Sadly, I know there will be many more.As a matter of fact, I am attending yet another memorial tomorrow for another "son" tragically taken from us last week because of someone elsesinattention. If we can help to prevent that, I'm certainly willing to try and make that happen so that no other parents have to grieve the loss of a child and none of you have to try and make sense out of the loss of a friend.

So, again, THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU !!!!

Old 09-30-2007, 09:41 AM
f4mechusmc
Banned

I signed...

Old 09-30-2007, 12:58 PM
joeysmom
6th Gear

I have started to composethe letter that I will be submitting to each state representative, along with the petition. Since I have received so much feedback from this forum, I am asking for additional feedback and suggestions on the letter. The signatures have reached the 400 mark, so I'm hoping to obtain the 1000 signatures within the next month.

Please let me know what you think:

Dear State Representatives,

My name is Lori Lott, and I lost my son in a motorcycle accident on November 1, 2002. The loss of my son could have been prevented, and he could have still been here to share his life and his promising future with me. He was only 21 years old and should have had his whole life ahead of him. I have made attempts in the last several years to try and raise the awareness of others to the fact that motorcycles share our roads and have just as much right to be there as those in cars. I have obviously been unsuccessful in my attempts, when looking at the current statistics of motorcycle fatalities due to the acts of inattentive drivers. I have come to the conclusion that this awareness needs to be voiced collectively so that our state officials will realize that something needs to be done in order to affect some needed changes. I have, therefore, started the attached petition, in the hopes that you will see that I am not alone in my concerns. With this petition comes my plea to
re-evaluate our system of training new drivers, by not only making them aware of the laws of the road BEFORE licenses are issued, but also by teaching them of the dangers of the road for drivers and motorcyclists alike. They should be taught what the consequences can be, when not taking the privilege of driving seriously enough to take other people’s lives into their own hands too when getting behind the wheel of a car. In California, for example, lane splitting or sharing is perfectly legal. Yet, how many motorists do we see making that extra effort to look for riders before changing lanes? I would say very rarely.

These dangers not only affect our riders, but they also affect our motorists as well. Regardless if the reason behind a fatality is an accident or not, the person that causes the fatality or serious injury is also forever changed. “I didn’t see him” or “he was in my blind spot” should no longer be allowed as excuses for being inattentive. Instead, we should do whatever is necessary to make sure that people don’t have these excuses to lean on. The way to do that is by EDUCATION. Driver education classes have gone from being mandatory in-school curriculum to now just being required online or offsite courses outside of school. I propose that we reenact this class as a required high school course, to include motorcycle safety awareness, instead of relying on online courses that can be passed strictly by going to the final test questions and just trying to make educated guesses in order to pass the test. That is unacceptable in my opinion.

I believe that there also need to be some sort of visible signs on our freeways and city streets, as reminders that 2-wheeled vehicles share our roads. We have signs advising of deer crossing. We have signs telling us that Caltrans workers are present. We have signs reminding us that children are present. Don’t you agree that our motorcyclists deserve the same kind of respect and protection? A sign as simple as “MOTORCYCLES SHARE OUR ROADS – PLEASE WATCH FOR THEM” might even save a life.

I have also received several emails that I’d like to share that are worthy of your consideration:

[b][size=2][i][font=verdana]Our hog chapter took it upon themselves to go to some area schools and teach biker awareness to the driver’s education classes. Several schools