General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes without the extras?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:39 PM
harleybiker
|
Tourer
Default Pipes without the extras?

Can one install aftermarket pipes without doing a remap or a set of slip-ons (SE) and leave the remap for a later date? Thanks.

hb

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:40 PM
bay13
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Pipes without the extras?

I've always heard on this forum that you can do slip-ons with out a re-map. I'd check with the forum tech to be sure.

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:43 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

That's a wide open question. It depends on the motor set-up, what pipes your installing, and whether or not you make 'em air tight. There's no way to say without a doubt what can and can't be done, even if you gave more info.

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:50 PM
x2lee
Banned

Thats a true statement. But... Most of the time it dont make a bit of difference. Most likely if there wasanything you would notice would be a little popping when shes cold. The intake will make more difference than the exhaust.
ORIGINAL: dynamike74

That's a wide open question. It depends on the motor set-up, what pipes your installing, and whether or not you make 'em air tight. There's no way to say without a doubt what can and can't be done, even if you gave more info.

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:55 PM
dynamike74
Outstanding HDF Member

Yeah, but even then you won't know until you do it. I experience the popping at high RPM's until my bike is nice and warm. I epxect that's what most people will get as well. But even that's not a sure thing.

ORIGINAL: x2lee

Thats a true statement. But... Most of the time it dont make a bit of difference. Most likely if there wasanything you would notice would be a little popping when shes cold. The intake will make more difference than the exhaust.
ORIGINAL: dynamike74

Old 09-20-2007 | 08:57 PM
jimjlips
Cruiser

I put SE on my 04 dyna w/carb and I could hardly keep it running till I re-jetted the carb
Jim

Old 09-20-2007 | 09:18 PM
RED E GLIDE
Tourer

Back when I rented bikes, one place removed the slip ons and knocked all the plugs out of the stock mufflers to make them sound better. None of them seemed to pop on decel and they ran flawlessy!

I think you can on a fuel injected bike as long as you keep the stock air cleaner installed. Try it and let us know!

Old 09-21-2007 | 08:46 PM
flharleycop
Cruiser

I am running my 007 Ultra with a pair of 1.75 Rush slip ons with no other mods, the dealer said I was ok as long as I do not change out the AC without the remap. I have been running this way for 2,000 miles with no problems.

Old 09-22-2007 | 06:55 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

stock 08 with Supper trapp slipons , and thats it,,,,, GRRR8!!!!!

Old 09-22-2007 | 07:16 AM
LDrider
Cruiser

I consider a remap very important even on a totally stock motor to correct the EPA mandated overly lean condition that these bikes are shipped with. How you go about this depends on your future upgrade plans. The couple of hundred bucks for a fuelpac or other low end enrichment device is cheap insurance.

Quick Reply: Pipes without the extras?