General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pipes without the extras?

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2007 | 08:02 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Default RE: Pipes without the extras?

Stock bike is set up lean. Going to slip ons and nothing else will make it run even more lean. Not a good idea in my book. I would wait till I could do it all at once.

Old 09-22-2007 | 08:35 AM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior

I will go against the trend and say that there is NO way I would put free flowing pipes on a motor that was already lean as hell from the factory and running hot. To see power increases and get the temperature down you need to do all 3 things of the term "Stage 1" which include air cleaner, pipes and the most important thing, some type of fuel management being SERT, Power Commander for EFI bikes and re-jetting for carb bikes.

Old 09-22-2007 | 01:03 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

you guys own a 08???? nooo
07??? yes,,,, and it wasnt a good idea on a 07

on a 08,,, slipons only are OK!!!!!!!!!!

or maybe its just me,,, HD sent me a one of,,, I'm special,, the fairy blesses my bike everynight,,,
born with a golden spoon in my mouth,,,,, whatever,,,,

Old 09-22-2007 | 02:06 PM
grimm
Road Master

ORIGINAL: harleybiker

Can one install aftermarket pipes without doing a remap or a set of slip-ons (SE) and leave the remap for a later date? Thanks.

hb
i suppose you could, but i wouldn't.....

Old 09-22-2007 | 02:11 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member

you can ,, and I DID!

Old 09-22-2007 | 03:46 PM
Demkay
Road Master

I put on Rush 2.0 slip-ons. Rush told me no need for anything else, and DON'T change the air-cleaner.

Sounds great, no idea if it's bad or good, but bike still starts.

Old 09-22-2007 | 04:06 PM
x2lee
Banned

I think the guy was asking will his bike still run OK. Also he said he was going to do the full stage1when he could afford it. I have the full stage one plus other mods. I fully recommend the stage 1 its great!But all running lean is going to do is eat up his plugs a bit and run the motor hotter. Not that big of a deal?I think not. If he was worried about it really bad he could run Syn oil and buy a oil temp dipstick. His engine temp is the only real concern.
ORIGINAL: grimm

ORIGINAL: harleybiker

Can one install aftermarket pipes without doing a remap or a set of slip-ons (SE) and leave the remap for a later date? Thanks.

hb
i suppose you could, but i wouldn't.....

Old 09-22-2007 | 05:27 PM
LDrider
Cruiser

I think the MoCo approval of slipon changes for the 08 models refers only to their watered down SE line which is a far cry from aftermarket offerings when it comes to free flowing exhaust. In theory an exhaust only change shouldn't affect the AFR without an accompanying intake change. But that's only true if the intake and exhaust were in a balanced state to begin with. If the exhaust system is more of a bottleneck to the motors ability to pump air than is the intake, then an exhaust only change can result in a leaner running condition. On carbed bikes I found it necessary to re-jet when just changing to a better sounding exhaust. HD's EFI now has the capacity to compensate to some degree but the upper/richer limit of it's range is still EPA approved as are the downloads and probably the new sert map releases. I have even heard that at some dealers a dyno tune has to meet EPA standards. Your 600 buck dyno run on top of your 400 dollar SERT may become just a canned EPA map with minor tweaking (if you get a tech that knows how to tweek) and aprint out. Like I said in an earlier reply on this thread, even totally stock these bikes are way lean. They can't keep making these motors run hotter and hotter while cheaping their components and still achive the longevity that their predesesors can claim. If your lucky enough to be buyin a new bike every couple of years, more power to ya but if you like to think that this one will last you a good long time then do yourself a favor and undo what the EPA has forced HD to do to our machines while you still can. After this self perpetuating bureaucracy has their way with the MoCo they will certainly be getting a lot more aggressive with the aftermarket and eventually us. Maybe after their current 2009 or 2010 mandates are met, they will say "our work is done", close down their network of checkpoints and "all fffffade away" just like our tollways became freeways after the road was payed for. Sorry for the rant,but I get a little crazy when I think about them commin after our little retro/nostalgic endulgance while selling "offset credits" to huge polluters funneling money to themselves and their approved list of do-gooders and pet "green" projects. I guess the last half of this post should be moved to the poltical forum.

Old 09-22-2007 | 06:21 PM
Rides2007Harley
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: electaRICK

you guys own a 08???? nooo
07??? yes,,,, and it wasnt a good idea on a 07

on a 08,,, slipons only are OK!!!!!!!!!!

or maybe its just me,,, HD sent me a one of,,, I'm special,, the fairy blesses my bike everynight,,,
born with a golden spoon in my mouth,,,,, whatever,,,,
You had better check your info. Harley says it is ok to add the Screamin Eagle pipes without any mods because the pipes don't breath much better than the stock ones. The MoCo has never published anything about another companies slip-ons but if you could provide a link I will stand corrected.

Don't for a minute think that the 08's are not running leaner than ever from the factory.

Besides that, the original poster is riding a 05 Deluxe if I remember correctly from his previous posts.

Old 09-23-2007 | 12:24 AM
Tralfaz
Road Master

I put slip-ons on my 06 Sportster a couple hundred miles before my 1K checkup (when I had the stage 1 done) and it ran fine up until I had the stage 1 done. I've now put slip-ons on my 07 Springer Classic and I'm a couple hundred miles from 1K when I plan to get the stage 1 done. I just put them on this morning, but during my ride today they were running just fine. They have steel wool wrapped baffles so they aren't "wide open", but are definately more open than the stock pipes.

Can't speak to what it might have done to my plugs, however. I figure a couple hundred miles shouldn't make a big difference, though.