General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

J&P Cycle catalogs

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 08:59 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: J&P Cycle catalogs

ORIGINAL: Monstermile

Man do these people kill some trees. I just got my third or maybe fourth different 2007 parts catalog from them. Why they don't send out small supplement catalogs is beyond me. With the money they would save on printing they could lower their prices to compete with some of the other aftermarket parts dealers.
Hey Monster. I'm not flaming you but, that's why they grow those trees. I always get a chuckle when people say to use less paper to save trees. There's a few million acres of trees here in Louisiana that are grown just to make paper and they support a large portion, if not all in some cases, of the poor rural economy here. I'm sure that this is true in other states as well. These trees are crops just like rice or soybeans. They just take more than one year to become a harvestable product. The tracts are grown in rotation and harvested when the trees reach the maximum size before becoming a loss risk. Then the tract is replanted and the process starts over. My forester friends that work for these companies wish you would order two or three catalogs to solidify their job security.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:19 AM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

ORIGINAL: tbone52

Man do these people kill some trees. I just got my third or maybe fourth different 2007 parts catalog from them. Why they don't send out small supplement catalogs is beyond me. With the money they would save on printing they could lower their prices to compete with some of the other aftermarket parts dealers.
Hey Monster. I'm not flaming you but, that's why they grow those trees. I always get a chuckle when people say to use less paper to save trees. There's a few million acres of trees here in Louisiana that are grown just to make paper and they support a large portion, if not all in some cases, of the poor rural economy here. I'm sure that this is true in other states as well. These trees are crops just like rice or soybeans. They just take more than one year to become a harvestable product. The tracts are grown in rotation and harvested when the trees reach the maximum size before becoming a loss risk. Then the tract is replanted and the process starts over. My forester friends that work for these companies wish you would order two or three catalogs to solidify their job security.
That tree comment was just a little funny comment to go along with the post. I wasn't putting them down for killing trees. More for putting so many of these different full size catalogs for one single parts year. They could get away with putting out one, then putting out smaller supplements. That would also make it easier to see what was new. Of course they got the idea. You are gonna thumb through looking for new stuff and come across one of these and one of that and one of those that you had been meaning to order.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 AM
phat96
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

THey want to keep themselves fresh on our spending minds. Marketing.

Old 09-20-2007, 09:34 AM
ohiomotoxer
Tourer

Awwwwwww C'omon guys..........get it together. You don't have internet accessand a plasma in the can yet...........???????

tisk tisk tisk......

Old 09-20-2007, 11:23 AM
tbone52
Road Warrior

That tree comment was just a little funny comment to go along with the post. I wasn't putting them down for killing trees. More for putting so many of these different full size catalogs for one single parts year. They could get away with putting out one, then putting out smaller supplements. That would also make it easier to see what was new. Of course they got the idea. You are gonna thumb through looking for new stuff and come across one of these and one of that and one of those that you had been meaning to order.
Yeah, I figured that. I was just taking the opportunity to inform most about the comment I hear a lot about "saving trees". No offense intended.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:00 PM
WingIt
Advanced

The bummer is the post office usually has them so tore up by the time I get them there isn't even a cover on them.

Old 09-20-2007, 12:36 PM
Garemlin
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

No offense intended.
None taken.

Old 09-20-2007, 05:57 PM
akenaten
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah it seems I get a full catalog from them about every other month.[:@]

Old 09-20-2007, 06:31 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts

Let J&P send us a new catalog every couple of months....We all need more material for the "library". We can make up for all the trees by just using 1 sheet of TP after we finish our "business"

Old 09-20-2007, 06:54 PM
shoptroll
Banned

ORIGINAL: huffhuff

I use their catalog for reference for comparison shopping and new product introduction. however I generally find the item I'm needing or wanting elsewhere (ebay) at better prices.
SHHHHHHHHH! Don't tell them that! I need one for the family room, the upstairs bathroom, the downstairs bathroom, and one at work! Those J&P catalogs are almost better than ****!

Quick Reply: J&P Cycle catalogs