General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

problems with Harley Davidson Finacial?

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2007, 06:10 PM
FKNDLX
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: problems with Harley Davidson Finacial?

The FDCPA only applies to 3rd party collection agencies, HD credit is not required to adhear to those regulations unless, your state has it's own collection laws. I'm gonna have to say that we are not getting the whole story here, if they called everyone who was a "few days" late they would not have enough time in the day to call everyone. Speaking from experience (on the banking side) accounts with secured collateral fall into the 1st calling que at 10 days late, if they make contact the account is put on hold for three days unless a promise to pay was made. Habitual delinquent accounts get different treatment.

ORIGINAL: doc_cj

You probably mean THE FAIR DEBT COLLECTION PRACTICES ACT ...Public Law 104-208, 110 Stat. 3009. You will want to review section 806 ([15 USC 1692d]) to insure that their conduct actually violates the law. From you're saying it sure seems like shakey conduct.

Acollector may contact you in person, by mail, telephone, telegram, or fax. They may continue contact under certain conditions. One of those is an equivocated agreement to pay; i.e., you say you'll pay but don't set a time/date or manner for payment.

Adebt collector may not contact you at inconvenient times or places, such as before 8 a.m. or after 9 p.m., unless you agree. Be sure to check you contract/note to make sure you didn't agree to a different time. I don't know about HD, but some lenders have begun adding a "time" clause that designates an extended time for calling on a debt in arrears. There are some other tricks the lending industry uses to skirt the law.

A debt collector also may not contact you at work if the collector knows that your employer disapproves of such contacts.

Report any problems you have with a debt collector to your state Attorney General' s office and the Federal Trade Commission. Many states have their own debt collection laws, and your Attorney General's office can help you determine your rights. In extreme cases you may also seek civil damages for violation of both the federal and state acts.

Old 09-20-2007, 06:15 PM
tankerwyf
Banned Camp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Todd T

Pay it up a month ahead and then keep paying each month on the same date that way you'll never be late.

Refinance it to another institution.Harley financing doesnt have the best rates by far anyway.
That's a good idea, if you're able to do it. I pay a little extra on mine each month, and it won't be too much longer before I'm a full month ahead. I should do that with the hubby's, too.

But they do have a tendency to start calling the first day after the due date, which I think is ridiculous. But that's also why I started using their autopay service. I was originally using billpay through my bank, but HD isn't on their list of companies paid by e-check, and the payment wasn't always getting to them by the due date, so I was still getting phone calls. They stopped as soon as I set up the auto payments though.

Old 09-20-2007, 07:14 PM
Unome
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

ORIGINAL: tankerwyf

Pay it up a month ahead and then keep paying each month on the same date that way you'll never be late.

Refinance it to another institution.Harley financing doesnt have the best rates by far anyway.
That's a good idea, if you're able to do it. I pay a little extra on mine each month, and it won't be too much longer before I'm a full month ahead. I should do that with the hubby's, too.
But since this is a simple interest loan, doesn't the extra money get applied to end of loan not toward a 2nd payment? I could be wrong.

I don't have what original posted had but I did have this happen:

My payment is due 8th of each month. I get letter from them on 11th which is dated the 10 and they have already attached late fees tothe payment(which probably passed the letter they sent to me in the mail).

Old 09-20-2007, 08:20 PM
tankerwyf
Banned Camp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ORIGINAL: Unome

ORIGINAL: tankerwyf

But since this is a simple interest loan, doesn't the extra money get applied to end of loan not toward a 2nd payment? I could be wrong.

I don't have what original posted had but I did have this happen:

My payment is due 8th of each month. I get letter from them on 11th which is dated the 10 and they have already attached late fees tothe payment(which probably passed the letter they sent to me in the mail).
Each month when I get my billing statement, my payment due for that month is lower. I kept trying to figure out why that was, and finally called them up and asked. She told me that since I was paying extra each month, my minimum payment due decreased, to show how far ahead I was. I don't completely understand it. I know for every other vehicle loan we've had that I've paid extra, the extra gets applied toward the principal amount (at least from how those lenders explained it to me). But I don't even begin to assume that the loan on my bike is the same as those.

Old 09-24-2007, 01:02 PM
wildbillg
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: kawsakimx6

Just pay your damn bill
I DO PAY THE DAMM BILL
That is what is pissin me off... I am NOT late!!!
I asked them for an extension so I would NOT be late...
then I MADE the payment! and then they called me the next day at 0530 am.................
I guess you dont how to read?

Old 09-24-2007, 07:55 PM
themensh
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 43 Posts

" I pay my bill, but asked for an extension so I would not be late."

Sorry.....but when you ask for an extension ....YOU ARE LATE!!!!!!!!

I pay my debts (yup...they are a DEBT because I OWE!!!!!) on time. I don't ask for nothing more than the service (electric/water bill etc.)......or the loan.
Pay on time. Pay more than you owe. You will not get calls. I know how to read (check out on your bill when it says "Due date").........don't ask for extensions.
Sounds like you may be over extended.........there are ways to consolidate your bills, but you have to
have alter your spending so you do not get back in the hole.
To answer your question: I have had no problem with Harley financing.
Turn off your ringer if it bothers you.

Chuck