General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

low beam brighter than high beam?

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2007, 09:36 PM
Spool
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: low beam brighter than high beam?

ChrisWillis,
I know I am about 2 months late on this one, but I just start searching the forum for this problem - I have same exact issue as you. I also have the HD Billet headlamp installed on a 06 Low Rider and the Low appears to be high and the high appears to be low. I did not replace bulb, I used the stock billet headlamp bulb and I do not have any additional lights installed. So I agree with your cowl theory. Since this thread ended in September I assume that is just the way it is and you are content with the issue? Was there any resolution? I feel like I am blasting everyone with the low beam.

Thanks
Spool

Old 11-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My theory is that the low beams are illuminating things closer to the bike so you have a lot more light coming back to you. (Light diminishes with the square of the distance.)

Here's a test. Pick out a target about 100 to 150 yards out. Concentrate on it and switch from high to low and back. If the distant target is brighter on high beam, all is well. If the target is dimmer on low beam, it's a problem.

Old 11-16-2007, 09:44 AM
Azrael
Cruiser

spool,

The headlamp comes wired incorrectly [:@], you need to swap the yellow and white wires in the harness (I think that is correct, check the stock connector for the correct pattern). It's easy to swap the wires, just pull gently on them with needlenose pliersand they should pop out with a little side to side motion (they are not locked in with tabs like other HD connectors). Once they are out you can just push them back in the correct spots.

DON'T TRY TO USE A TOOL TO DEPRESS A LOCKING TAB......trust me there are none....I broke the connector and got a good luck inside.[:@]

Good luck....PM me if you need pictures.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:52 AM
Spool
6th Gear

Chriswillis,
Thanks for the response, I will give it a shot.

Old 11-18-2007, 07:37 PM
Spool
6th Gear

Chriswillis,
I swapped the yellow and white wires and that appeared to fix the problem. My low now looks more like a low and the high looks more like a high. When wires were swapped this meant the yellow went to the white stock and the white went to the yellow stock -so opposite the stock connector. Thanks again for the help.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:12 PM
03duece
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I just installed a billet headlight and was having the same problem ,i was getting ready to switch the white and yellow wires. When i get home i will have to switch them. When you turned on the low beam is was so freaking bright and high beam was so weak.

Old 12-23-2007, 06:34 PM
MJ
Elite HDF Member
Received 64 Likes on 43 Posts

I have watched this thread and still haven't seen any one post this. Maybe the problem or may not, but I thought I would offer it up.

If the headlamp is out of adjustment pointing too high, it will give the same effect of the low beam being brighter than the high beam. I know this from experience. Try pointing it a little more downward.