General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Any members ever have a flat tire while riding?

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 10:05 AM
kerberos
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Any members ever have a flat tire while riding?

Front, or back? Did you wreck?

Any advice that might help someone else keep from wrecking if the same thing happens to them?

Old 09-18-2007, 10:53 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Default RE: Any members ever have a flat tire while riding?

In all my years I've never had a front go flat. I've had a number of rear tires go flat. At first it will feel like your rear axle is loose as the rear end will squirrel around on you. I've never had a blow out. I prefer to ride with cast wheels which means I run tubeless tires.That way I can use thestop-n-go tire plug kit and a 12 v. compressor that I carry. It has helped me out a number of times. When that doesn't work I go to the cell phone and get a wrecker.

Old 09-18-2007, 11:59 AM
brian350x
Intermediate

i had a tire go flat on my buddies 07 street glide. i was riding it to the shop for the 1000 mile service since he was out of town for business. i picked up a nail in the rear tire about a mile away from the shop. i limped to to the shop and then had to tell him his service just got a lot more exspensive. this was my first flat. do they normally go flat all the way to the rim? this one didn't. but i have never had one and i just figured it would... btw, it was on a cast wheel, not spoke

Old 09-18-2007, 12:05 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

ORIGINAL: brian350x

i had a tire go flat on my buddies 07 street glide. i was riding it to the shop for the 1000 mile service since he was out of town for business. i picked up a nail in the rear tire about a mile away from the shop. i limped to to the shop and then had to tell him his service just got a lot more exspensive. this was my first flat. do they normally go flat all the way to the rim? this one didn't. but i have never had one and i just figured it would... btw, it was on a cast wheel, not spoke
And being on a cast wheel with a tubeless tire you could have plugged it, pumped it up and not had to worry about it going flat all the way to the rim. A cast wheel isn't going to stop you from picking up a nail but it allows you to run tubeless which makes it alot easier to deal with than a tubed tire.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Bolt the size of my thumb straght into rear tire during sturgis week. My front tire obviously set it up to go into the rear. Carring passanger, 85 miles an hour. Tubed tire. No wreck, it just went mushy on me.

Old 09-18-2007, 12:08 PM
cadman311
Club Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I plug my and never look back

Old 09-18-2007, 12:55 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive had both front and read tires get punctured. many times.

they have always gone flat slowly, not explosively, so the bike stayed manageable.

when the front got punctured the steering felt heavy and imprecise, and when the rear has gone flat the bike felt squirmy in the turns and when braking. in both cases the additional drag was also noticeable when stopped.

non-spoke wheels allow tubless tires which allow one to repair with a tire plug. its great to be able to fix the flat on the spot and get back on the road in just a few minutes.

Old 09-18-2007, 01:23 PM
coldmcrider
Cruiser

In 2001, I had the rear tire go flat at about 70mph while carring a passenger on the interstate. The bike got very wobbly and I thought I had lost the front tire the way the bike was handling. I stayed of the brakes and coasted to the shoulder. Very scarey situation but it all worked out ok.

My advice, if it happens to you, is to stay off the brakes, keep a relaxed grip on the handle bars, keep the bike as upright as possible and coast to the side of the road.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Blackisfast
Tourer

Agree with what the others have said...stay relaxed and coast to a stop. I also carry plugs and a compresser.

Old 09-18-2007, 02:20 PM
DirtyDave
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a front go flat, completely flat. 21" spoked wheel. Very heavy steering. Only about 5miles from home at 4am. Turned around and road it home.
A Brother had a rear tire on an Indian go competely flat on the interstate didn't know what was wrong until he stopped.

Main thing don't panic.

Quick Reply: Any members ever have a flat tire while riding?