General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Riding with a backpack, Anyone?

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Whiffleboy
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Riding with a backpack, Anyone?

I use one every day for my commute to hold my lunch and whatever else I need to bring to/from work. I'm not too concerned about how I look wearing one. The bike speaks for itself, despite what I look like on it.

Whiff

Old 09-17-2007, 02:44 PM
Harley_Dude
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 102 Likes on 68 Posts

Rode with a newbie that wore a backpack his first trip to Sturgis (FXR no bags), he has a RoadKing now, but we still call him backpacker.
But hell he went to Sturgis with no jacket at all. Went down town and wanted to buy bags, I said let's look for a jacket first. It gets cold here dude!

Old 09-17-2007, 03:08 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

I have a Deuce overnite bag , anything else gets bungied on the bars or the bag . Never needed more storage than that as I seldom go more than a few hundred miles one way .

Backpack ? Not trying to start a ruckus but the only bike riders I've seen wearing backpacks were riding rice rockets ! Not for me !!!

Old 09-17-2007, 03:39 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: DanDeuce

Backpack ? Not trying to start a ruckus but the only bike riders I've seen wearing backpacks were riding rice rockets ! Not for me !!!
I dont have a car, all I have is my bike, o.k? Some times I need more room than the saddlebags afford me, like going to the laundrymat, grocery store, Home Depot, etc. Then I wear a backpack so I can carry more stuff. I am glad you have alternative transportation for such trips, but I have to use what I got. I realize some of you ride to 'get away from it all' and commute to work on your bike when the weather is within certain peramiters, but I ride ALLA time and sometimes it is helpful to utilize a backpack on certain trips.

O.K?

Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 PM
Fats4life
Cruiser

I have an ICON tank bag for when I had the sport bike. Its a backpack-tankbag all in one. Now with the Fatty I don't need it allthough the magnets do fit on the sides of the rear fender just right. Use what you want man it's 2007 who cares what others think.

Old 09-17-2007, 03:48 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

Here's a pic ofthe Baja bag...

[IMG]local://upfiles/5516/0882FDDD996E4A7C9D66CE8DDD4CF5D1.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-17-2007, 03:51 PM
TXSwede
Elite HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

what you want man it's 2007 who cares what others think.
But I DO care what all of you think, please validate my feelings!!!!

Old 09-17-2007, 04:28 PM
dogtownmax
Road Master
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ORIGINAL: anubisss

I used to ride with a messenger bag all the time. You know, an over the shoulder bag like those laptop bags people use. I wore that thing everywhere and set it up so that I could rest it on the back of the seat when it had 20 or more pounds worth of stuff in it. Worked great, in fact I still have a couple and use them when I need to carry a lot of stuff. I did use a backpack as well, but I like the weight distribution with the bag better although that makes no sense whatsoever as the backpack is more even distributed...

dude, the messenger bag is a secret.

besides, its more of a motorcyclist thing, at least around here, the man-purse is only for the metric, daily rider types. that along with a roadcrafter suit, which is also secret.

Old 09-17-2007, 04:44 PM
DanDeuce
Road Captain

Hey Swede ,

Don't take offense , you don't have a cage - gotta do what you gotta do ! Taking your laundry out in a BP beats trying to carry a big ol bag of laundry or groceries in that small spot between your belly and gas tank , been there , done that ! Even got a ticket for speeding on my bike with 2 bags of groceries on my lap . Total BS , as I only lived 2 blocks from the store and if anything was going under the 35 mph limit . Not sure why I did'nt just hoof it ?

You ought to have one of those sweet things in your sig pic helping you out with your laundry , nice looking young ladies !

Old 09-17-2007, 05:22 PM
hdtwice
Road Master

I have been rideing for a little over 20 years and never really thought about a back pack until a year ago. Now I use one about thalf of the time.

Quick Reply: Riding with a backpack, Anyone?