General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Garmin GPS in the rain

Search this Thread

Old 12-02-2005 | 01:11 PM
RedLine
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Garmin GPS in the rain

I don't have a GPS system yet but I have been looking at them. I am very interested in the TomTom Rider. It is made to be used on a bike. It is water resistant, has mounting gear, and a bluetooth headset that installs in your helmet. It has not released in the states yet but should be available by the end of this month.

Some more info here: http://www.mytomtomgo.com/

Old 12-02-2005 | 01:19 PM
slacker
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Holy crap! $1200??? Are you serious? You can get a Garmin 2610 on eBay for $300 - $350 and you get computer software to plan your route specifically, so if you want to do things like lead rides on specific routes you can. Don't see that on TomTom.

The RAM MOUNT for the garmin will cost you about $75.

So what exactly are you getting for the extra $800?? Autopilot?

Old 12-02-2005 | 03:47 PM
ThudMeister
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: RedLine

I don't have a GPS system yet but I have been looking at them. I am very interested in the TomTom Rider. It is made to be used on a bike. It is water resistant, has mounting gear, and a bluetooth headset that installs in your helmet. It has not released in the states yet but should be available by the end of this month.

Some more info here: http://www.mytomtomgo.com/
That is cool but WAY TO EXPENSIVE!! That is the pre-release retail price. The street price will be a little less, we'll have to wait and see.

Old 12-02-2005 | 10:03 PM
ratmotortom
|
Cruiser

You can buy the Garmin 2720 for around 800. Touch screen ,no downloads, voice guide, text to speech, etc. Nice unit. Pre loaded unit, ready to use right out of the box. Simple is for me !

Old 12-02-2005 | 10:09 PM
slacker
Cruiser

ORIGINAL: ratmotortom

You can buy the Garmin 2720 for around 800. Touch screen ,no downloads, voice guide, text to speech, etc. Nice unit. Pre loaded unit, ready to use right out of the box. Simple is for me !
Fortunately the 2720 is also solid state memory. But Garmin has acknowledged a problem with the Map Source software for this unit. It will not allow you to define a specific route and put that route on the GPS for things like leading a ride on a specific route.

For the money, the 2610 is one of the best choices considering what you get and what it costs you.

Old 12-02-2005 | 10:52 PM
Basz
Road Master

All this great GPS talk and nothing about the Quest?

You can get the non-HD Quest for about $380. It passes:
Waterproof: IEC 60529 IPX7 standards (submersible in one meter of water for up to 30 mins.)
Maybe Water Repellent might be a better phrase?

I am curious as to some of your opinions on the Quest compared to 2610 and others?

Old 12-02-2005 | 11:11 PM
slacker
Cruiser

The quest has a smaller screen, smaller memory capacity, and requires you purchase extra software for loading any additional map data. The 26xx and 27xx series come with mapsource and if they do not come with enough space for the maps you want to load they are expandable with industry standard CF cards.

The quest is controlled exclusively with the buttons on the right of the display. The 26xx and 27xx series units are touch screen so you can interact directly with the map.

Old 12-04-2005 | 04:54 PM
guzzirider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have been using Quest with a RAM mount now for several months. It is cheaper than most other units but has a slightly smaller screen than the more upmarket Garmin systems.

The good news is that is has got soaked in the rain many times but has proved to be reliable and waterproof. I have not had to purchase any maps- all the software for the UK and Ireland plus Western Europe is included in the package, as was the RAM mount. Battery life is a claimed 20 hours but I have not tested that as my days in the saddle when touring are about 7 or 8 hours.

It also comes with an in car kit so you can use it in your car if you have one.

Can defintely recommend it if you don't want to spend a lot of money.

Guy

Old 12-05-2006 | 01:02 AM
sarge189
Advanced

I just picked up a Garmin Quest 2 from MegaGPS for $489.99 plus $11.33 for shipping. This GPS works great. It comes pre-loaded with the entire country.

Old 12-05-2006 | 12:14 PM
Alaska Bobber
Road Captain

It is funny to see you guys talk about GPS's and not even realize that your missing the best and YES WATERPROOF/Dustproof GPS on the market.

I'll give you a hint. There is ONE BRAND of GPS run in the Baja 1000 and Score International Circuit.

Garmin and TomTom....now that is cute.

Quick Reply: Garmin GPS in the rain