General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to pay for a new Harley

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 05:58 AM
Capt.Bob
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to pay for a new Harley

I have come up with a foolproof plan (I think) to pay for a new Harley. All I have to do is buy anything with the HD name on it and list it on e-bay. Somebody will pay far more than it is worth or more than you can get it on line or in some cases from the dealer for. I always check e-bay when I start to make a major purchase for any of my scoots. This has just about always worked untill I started buying stuff for my HD. Everything I have tried to buy on e-bay for the HD I was able to get online or from the dealer at a better price. Cases in point my 3 pouch for my windshield, my hwy pegs, driver backrest and soon to be shop manual. Somebody actually paid more for a used shop manual the other day than I can buy one from my dealer. I think people just don't know what things are worth or that because it is on e-bay it is cheaper. I also think that maybe HD people have more disposalable income than others. At any rate I plan to be rich real soon. What do ya think.LOL

Old 09-16-2007, 06:09 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,244 Likes on 1,851 Posts
Default RE: How to pay for a new Harley

Your scoot would look good with a gloss black engine guard on it I got one to sell ya

Old 09-16-2007, 06:14 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Go for it. You might be starting a whole new trend.

I also think there is a group (perhaps small) that are not that concerned about cost but muchprefer the ease, convenience and annonimity (celebrities) of putting the cursor on "buy" and doing the left click.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:24 AM
L3ft2
Road Captain

Although I have made some good purchases on ebay for my bike I have seen the trend your talking about even more lately.

I usually find some stuff I like and dl it to my auction assistant to watch. Then I usually go to Hales or Chicago to see what there price is like. Everything I looked at last week was sold for way more than it would have cost from them including shipping, and some of the stuff was used.

I think you are going to be able to afford more than one new scoot!

Old 09-16-2007, 06:30 AM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

what do I think Bob.... hmmm send me.$20
for MY get rich quick secretdeal

Old 09-16-2007, 06:53 AM
Uncle Scrooge
Road Warrior
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

My rule of thumb for used, good-as-newname brand small purchases on ebay is no more than 2/3 of what the item would cost new, including shipping. For a used cycle or car, no more thanseveral hundred dollars under NADA average retail. These policies usually make me competitive in the auction (although most cycle sellers usually have their reserve set so high that it doesn't sell). I have seen very few cases of people going overboard in bidding up an item.

Old 09-16-2007, 07:02 AM
Hogwallop
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Been trying for a month to sell wife's alto flute in silver that Icould maybe paint black and etch HD on it. I bet I could sell it now........ Thanks for the great idea..............

Old 09-16-2007, 09:33 AM
gman
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i was thinkin' about selling my body, as a giggilo, to earn $ for a new scoot. However, the wife indicatest that the only $ I could earn would be if I sold it to science. I even considered putting a HD sticker on my navel.

Old 09-16-2007, 01:32 PM
shoptroll
Banned

I have a better plan. If it takes 12 aluminum cans to make a pound and scrap aluminum pays .65 per pound you could buy a $15,000.00 bike if you could collect 276,932 cans!

Old 09-16-2007, 02:10 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I was at a dealer yesterday (used bikes only) They had a 2002 FXD on the floor with 12,000 miles, and they only wanted 11,400 for it. Sadly, they will probably get it.

You may be onto something with your plan.

[/align]

Quick Reply: How to pay for a new Harley