General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do You Own a Bike or Ride a Bike?

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2007, 08:40 PM
murph
Elite HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Do You Own a Bike or Ride a Bike?

I have some local buddies who say they are bikers (motorcyclists).Each own a different make ofbike. Some Harleys, but most metric. I ask them several times to ride with our group (HDforum group) as we plan rides, but they always seem to have an excuse why they can't ride. I don't understand this. I love riding my bike.I can find more excuses to ride than I can find not to ride.

It's too hot, it's too cold, too wet, too dry, too windy, too calm, and anything else they can come up with.

I understand when you have obligations, but everytime....

I'm wondering if anyone else has had similar problems. Don't get me wrong these guys are my friends, but it seems they just own bikes not ride them. I have ridden with them on occasions, and they seem to like riding.

I can always count on my friends from HDForums. I had several members come from the Miami area to ride with me, and I couldn't get one of my local buddies that lives less than a mile from me to ride.

*(I'm not talking about my recent poker run post, so guys this is not about you)

Old 09-15-2007, 09:32 PM
Y2K
Grand HDF Member
Received 3,295 Likes on 1,405 Posts
Default RE: Do You Own a Bike or Ride a Bike?

Wussies hell I just met a good bro of mine for a ride tody and we live 250 miles apart.
(I don't call every rider friend bro but we go back more'n 30 years so he is my bro.)
We each rode about 125 miles to meet up and then did a 100 mile loop ride that returned us to where we met up.
Had a couple beers at that point and then split up and each rode home,great day!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:44 PM
Far 3ast
Tourer
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

[sm=dontgetit.gif] I don't get it either, but those kinds of people probably don't understand why you think it's so great. Apparently not everybody gets the same thrill from riding that we do. For some people two sundays a month is enough saddle time for them to keep owning a bike.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:47 PM
StrGlide
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll ride with you. That's a good enough excuse for me to get on mine!

Old 09-15-2007, 09:59 PM
Pain Killer
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can think of only one thing that would be better than riding the bike the bank owns. Owning the bike I ride.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:00 PM
firestop52
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most of my life is planned around riding my bike. It consumes most of my thoughts. So I don't understand how you can leave it set in the garage. I wanna ride ride ride.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:01 PM
1flhtk4me
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 90 Likes on 67 Posts

My excuse is I live too far away from you.

Old 09-15-2007, 10:25 PM
FREEFALL
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I ride a bike that my bank owns.

S/F

Old 09-15-2007, 10:34 PM
PigInaBlanket
Club Member
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

YeaI know what you mean. There is this guy at work that everytime I bring up a ride going on locally or just want to go ride he always has an excuse not to ride. He owns a Honda Shadow and is very insecure about it. Last year he went on a ride with us called Rumble Through the Tunnels here in Norfolk Virginia. It was a big ride that ended up at a local HD dealer. When he saw that the ride ended at a HD place he just kept on riding past it and left. He is a very strange guy and thinks us HD owners are druggies or want to trash his bike and kick his ***. I just shot up some heroinand then told him to get the hell away from me or I'm gonna trash his bike and kick his ***. Jeez where do they get these stereotypes anyways?

Old 09-15-2007, 10:54 PM
fishheadsaid
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I figured out a long time ago bikes are like large boats. They mostly stay in the garage/boat slip. I've got 2 riding buddies, one lives in Mexico Beach and the other in Mobile. If we plan a trip ...Daytona, Sturgis, wherever -they show up.I've stopped asking anyone else and mostly ride by myself or with wife or youngest son.

I know one guy, high school friend, who bought an Ultra and Heritage (for his wife). She never rode the Heritage and he only put about 500 miles on the Ultra before he sold it. I heard last year he has bought another bike but I'm sure he doesn't ride it. I know some other guys from Tallahassee who trailer their bikes to St. George Island (80 freaking miles). They unload the bikes an tool down to Harry A's and sit on them.

I was the Wells Cargo trailer dealer in Tallahassee, sold and rented alot of bike trailers. Got a bunch of funny stories about trailering bikes.

Yeah, Murph it doesn't make much sense, but go to any marina and look at the large yachts. Look closely at the lines and barnacles, alot of large boats just sit there.

-fish

Quick Reply: Do You Own a Bike or Ride a Bike?