General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Questions about HD model history....

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007, 10:25 AM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default RE: Questions about HD model history....

ORIGINAL: BK Meyers

ORIGINAL: carpetride

here is some interesting info http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harley-Davidson......amazing what you can find on the net if you just search a little [sm=type.gif]
I don't know whether to thank you for the info or tell you to kiss off for the backhanded, condescending insult. You tell me which. I asked a simple straight forward question and you insult mewith this kind of crap remark.

BK
I thought Carpetride was condescending too. After all, you did go to the internet to get your information - to this forum. Which I think is a pretty good place to start.

What he said could be taken in more than one way.There is a chance (a small chance)he didn't mean to be insulting.

Old 09-16-2007, 10:29 AM
Elginator
Road Captain
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would recommend a couple of books by Jean Davidson, the granddaughter of the founder. She is an insider and a rebel at the same time and writes like a pro. It does not address you immediate question, but I thought I would throw it in.

Old 09-16-2007, 11:11 AM
BK Meyers
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tips guys. Will definitely hit some of the local book stores.

Not overly sensitive today, just don't use the forums to bs around. Sarcasm has its place (if that's what it was intended as) but unfortunately a computer screen cannot always convey the actual message that is being sent. I've seen too often that people are "attacked"or snide remarks made about doing searches, just because someone asked an innocent question and wanted some info..

Tried the WIKI link but the info was pretty general. Good info nonetheless, but not as specific as I was hoping.

And "carpetride", for your info I wear boxer briefs. I buy them at Walmart in the Men's clothing section. Never tried the women's panties. And I haven't talked to my Mom for a week or so, so probably not a bad idea to give her a call.

Later,
BK

Old 12-06-2008, 07:28 PM
oldskool54
Stage I
Default some more history

here is a link that i found, does anyone else know about this frame "road worx" I have one and the 8th made I was told that only one other was still around. http://books.google.com/books?id=XpC...um=1&ct=result
oldskool54

Old 12-07-2008, 12:25 AM
Sleeko
Stellar HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 56 Posts
Talking

I've been able to pick up some real nice, informative books on Ebay for not much $. That book on Softails by Greg Field is excellent. There is a lot of info on the "road worx" frame in that book oldskool54. Got it here;

http://cgi.ebay.com/Harley-Davidson-...1%7C240%3A1318

Also dealer catalogs have excellent pictures and specks. This is a good dealer for catalogs:

http://myworld.ebay.com/tc-harley

Bon appetite BK.

Last edited by Sleeko; 12-07-2008 at 12:33 AM.
Old 12-07-2008, 01:33 AM
Stretchman
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 216 Likes on 134 Posts

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/dichotomy

Not to be condenscending, but sometimes, the correct answer is both.

http://www.hogsandparts.com/history/...ing_Police.htm

Old 12-07-2008, 05:35 AM
Da Gumpmeister
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Somebody JUMP all over my **** if'n I blow this, but IMFUO, the Road King is a 'throwback' to the earlier FLH's. "King of the Road" model. Any takers? Guess not everyone wanted a rolling Ultracouch. HEHEHE

Here's your RK:

And here's 78 FLH:

Heritages, and other softails, "FAKE" hardtails for pansy arzes that can't gut the real thing. Bwahahahaha These folks need to be on Ultracouches. J/K lighten up a bit, or it's gonna be a lonnnnnnnnnng azzed winter.

Old 12-07-2008, 12:28 PM
tbrocco
Cruiser

Sometimes you can spend a lot of time before you get the rght lnk - askng a queston on a forum lke this s just part of the process.

Old 12-07-2008, 02:22 PM
BK Meyers
Cruiser
Default Thanks for the links...

Thanks for the links guys. This thread is so old I didn't know it was still available to view.

I've tried a few books off of Ebay but they were all too generic. MOst of them consisted of a bunch of nice photos but not a lot of info. I am looking for year to year info on both models (Heritage and Road King). Stuff like what was changed, when, etc., so I think the links you have provided today will be very helpful.

Thanks again. Have a Good Christmas and a Happy New Year.

BK