General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How Do You Handle High (40 mph) Crosswind Gusts?

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2007 | 10:11 AM
max56
Road Warrior
Default RE: How Do You Handle High (40 mph) Crosswind Gusts?

I remember crossing Wyoming once on a Goldwing with extremely strong crosswinds. This may sound strange but the faster we went, the less problem the wind caused. The major problem was when we passed simi trucks. Coming out from behindthe wind protection of thetruck was like taking a shotgun blast on the windward side.

Old 09-16-2007 | 10:12 AM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: MNPGRider

Demkay, countersteering is the basis of all two wheel control once you are going fast enough to not need to turn your front wheel like a tricycle. On most bikes this happens as soon as 6 mph. The faster you go the less you steer and the more you countersteer.

Press forward on the left handlebar, and your front tire will deflect to the right, causing your biketo lean left and go left. Press forward on the right handlebar and your front tire will deflect to the left, and your bike will lean right and go right. It gives you instant control of your direction, and very useful in dealing with cross winds.

You are already doing this when riding, you just don't realize it. Go out on a deserted tar road, and practice swerving the center lines by just pressing on the bars.
You're right. Alot of people use the term "countersteer" only causing confusion because they don't understand what it means. It's for sure that anyone coming to a left hand curve doesn't turn their bars to the left!!! Anyone traveling highway speeds countersteers when they come to a corner or else they would go off the road.

Old 09-16-2007 | 04:18 PM
Demkay
Road Master

Demkay, countersteering is the basis of all two wheel control once you are going fast enough to not need to turn your front wheel like a tricycle. On most bikes this happens as soon as 6 mph. The faster you go the less you steer and the more you countersteer.

Press forward on the left handlebar, and your front tire will deflect to the right, causing your biketo lean left and go left. Press forward on the right handlebar and your front tire will deflect to the left, and your bike will lean right and go right. It gives you instant control of your direction, and very useful in dealing with cross winds.

You are already doing this when riding, you just don't realize it. Go out on a deserted tar road, and practice swerving the center lines by just pressing on the bars.
Thanks man. I heard about this in a few threads and never really understood what it meant.

Think I'm gonna take a riding course in the next month or so. As I wanna learn emergency stops, and a whole load of other things that keep getting mentioned on this forum.

Old 09-16-2007 | 04:22 PM
tmoreau
|
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Demkay

Thanks man. I heard about this in a few threads and never really understood what it meant.

Think I'm gonna take a riding course in the next month or so. As I wanna learn emergency stops, and a whole load of other things that keep getting mentioned on this forum.
One place to start is Ride Like a Pro: www.ridelikeapro.com. I've been riding for over 3 decades and learned a lot from this video.

Old 09-16-2007 | 04:56 PM
Blackisfast
Tourer

Just back from a ride whaap... MNPG said it better. Leaning is cool when you have a steady wind, and countersteering is always in effect above walking speed...but the instant flick control it provides allows successful gust correction.

At first, I just thought you were taking a shot at me...but then thought that a user with over 8000 posts would surely not do that, eh?

The other guys explained it well enough that you should have understood what I was saying...when hit with a *gust* (not a steady crosswind), stay smooth in your control inputs (throttle and brake) and use the effects of countersteering to make the rapid adjustments needed.

Old 09-16-2007 | 05:28 PM
whaap
Extreme HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Blackisfast

Just back from a ride whaap... MNPG said it better. Leaning is cool when you have a steady wind, and countersteering is always in effect above walking speed...but the instant flick control it provides allows successful gust correction.

At first, I just thought you were taking a shot at me...but then thought that a user with over 8000 posts would surely not do that, eh?

The other guys explained it well enough that you should have understood what I was saying...when hit with a *gust* (not a steady crosswind), stay smooth in your control inputs (throttle and brake) and use the effects of countersteering to make the rapid adjustments needed.
Nope, I didn't mean to take a "shot" at you. It's just that your post looked to me as if it could be confusing, especially to a newbie. I could just imagine someone not familiar with the term countersteer wondering "how do I do that"?

Old 09-16-2007 | 05:38 PM
Blackisfast
Tourer

Gotcha...and agree that we ought to help newer riders stay in one piece.

Old 09-17-2007 | 12:16 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member

The Oct issue of Motorcycle Consumer News has a great article about physics relating to motorcyling that includes some dynamics of countersteering. Page 41

Old 09-17-2007 | 12:31 PM
jasons
Novice

Relax grip on the bars! That is key! Also, I have noticed that sticking your knee out into the gust for some reason helps. Don't ask me the physics of it. Could be all mental

Those Santa Ana winds are terrible! Sometimes I find it best to pull over in a protected area for abit after taking a pounding for too long.

Old 09-17-2007 | 12:38 PM
ladyglide
Elite HDF Member

my answer, hang on, and try to lean into the sustained gusts. Guess I'm kinda used to it, and "high winds" here, and 60+ or more.

I live in a wind tunnel,and the whole state knows it [8D] Seems the only ? people ask me when they find out where I live, is "Does the wind blow there alot??" , my answer is..."If ya know enough to ask that ?, you already know the answer!"

Quick Reply: How Do You Handle High (40 mph) Crosswind Gusts?