General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

what helmet do you use?

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2005, 02:36 AM
sidewinder
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default what helmet do you use?

What, if any helmet do you use? I currently use no helmet but after seeing all the death and injury around here last year I am thinking it may be time to consider a skid lid. Any suggetions? Comfort and non confinement (full face)are important to me as I like the wind. Thanks.

Old 11-29-2005, 03:03 AM
jrlaidle
Advanced
Default RE: what helmet do you use?

Check out Daytona Helmets. I have the skull cap w/out visor. DOT approved, very small, and quite comfortable.

Old 11-29-2005, 04:19 AM
RKRick
Intermediate

I already have a helmet but if I were buying another I would get one of the NXT skid lids. They claim to have the smallest and lightest DOT approved helmet.

After checking out the link to Daytona Helmets (who say they are the smallest also)posted by jrlaidle I would consider one of these as well

Old 11-29-2005, 04:20 AM
Motosurf
Cruiser

Shoei 3/4 Matte Black helmet for long distance
German DOT helmet for around town

'06 FXDBI

Old 11-29-2005, 07:41 AM
PWHOG
Road Master
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Caberg Justissimo Titanium

Its a flip up type helmet which can convert into an open face type in 5 minutes and it also has a unique inner dark visor which flips up or down using a slider on the side of the helmet just like a fighter pilots helmet.

http://www.caberg-helm.com/

Old 11-29-2005, 07:51 AM
guzzirider
Advanced

Roof Boxer (flip up) for long summer tours, Roof Roadster (open face) for riding around town, Arai Quantum F for track days and snow!

Guy

Old 11-29-2005, 11:03 AM
Cohiba_Joe
Road Captain

My helmet of choice is the Carbon Fiber Helmet. Both the wife and I started off with the Harley half-helmets and they were just too big. She really had a hard time with it causing neck pain from the wind. After doing some research I bought two of the Carbon Fiber's - one DOT and one non-DOT. I did it this way so we could compare both of them, try them on and exchange out the one we didn't want for the one we liked. However it turned out fine. I like the non-DOT since it fit me very well and she liked the DOT since it fit her well. There really isn't a whole lot of size difference between the two - the DOT is a tad bit larger.

What's nice about their helmets is the way they are designed. They start with the head size and form the shell to fit as opposed to the way Harley makes theirs. The sizes for Harley all have the same sized shell. They then fill it in with padding to fit the approporiate head size. Doing it this way means if you require a size SMALL you will really look like a bobble head.

I know, I know......the whole DOT issue. Here is an email reply from ACC in regards to some questions I had asked:

"The only difference between our DOT and Non-Dot is the fact that the Non-Dot will not pass the penetration test. The test consists of a seven-pound spear dropped from approx. ten feet onto the helmet that is resting on a head form. This head-form has a very thin layer of wax on the surface. The spear is dropped and the tip cannot mark the head form. It is a very black and white test. Mark it and you don't pass. Don't mark it and you pass pass. Both helmets pass the rest of the structural DOT tests. The liners on the two helmets are different , the DOT having a 5/8 thick urethane one and the Non-Dot having the 1/2" of Ensolite energy absorbing foam. The shells are the same except for shape and size, they are manufactured using the same materials and process."

They are a bit pricey but I really love it. Extremely comfortable when riding. If it was ever stolen I'd be buying another one.

Brian

Old 11-29-2005, 11:09 AM
Flying Pilgrim
Road Master

Bell shorty for wife and I. We liked the removable neck curtain for cooler weather. Price was right, about 60 bucks, compaired to some that were 150.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:09 PM
chunks
Road Captain
Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

I use a half helmet most of the year, but for really cold weather (Dec, Jan, Feb) I wear a full face.

Old 11-29-2005, 12:21 PM
JeffD
Tourer

I have a Bell half helmet, but will be getting a Carbon Fiber Helmet. The Bell catches too much air over 70mph, and really is painful to wear at those speeds.

Quick Reply: what helmet do you use?