General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

new to HD & buying used: Evo vs TC88

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 10:12 PM
texasridr
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default new to HD & buying used: Evo vs TC88

I posted this already in the Evo section, but it was suggested I re-list it here.

I was asking about the differences between the two engines, and why one is preferred over the other. I am specifically looking at Wide Glide models because I'm 6'4" and long limbed. I enjoy the Evo engine on my friends 89 softail (all stock), so I think that is adequate power for my riding style.

I've recently found a 98 WG with 3K on the clock and have seen/heard it. I rode a 96 recently, so I know how much I like the fit/ride. This bike has original tires still on it. Everything still looks new, except the spokes and a few bold heads here and there. The engine sounds like a few loose bearings are just bouncing around, but I think that's normal. The oil in the engine is a few years old, but it looks/smells normal. There's probably only 1500 miles on that oil, but if condensation was a problem, how would I know? .. Asking price is 10,500.

Some have suggested that the Evo is easier to work on, which I plan to do. I've heard the mpg's and engine heat are more favorable on the Evo as well. If I don't need the extra horses the TC88 offers, what else make it a better engine? Which engine do you prefer and why? What do I need to know before buying this Dyna? Keep in mind that my budget is about 10K.

Thanks! I'll enjoy reading your spirited comments!

Old 09-14-2007, 10:18 PM
StreetglideOK
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default RE: new to HD & buying used: Evo vs TC88

If you havent, do a search on this, and Im sure youll find as many opinions on the topic as pics of panties in the showdown forum! If I recall, Evos were present until the 99 model run? Have you rode a twincam bike yet?

Old 09-14-2007, 10:24 PM
electaRICK
Extreme HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

let me just add,,,, its a buyers market,,,, look around best you can,, cause I bet as soon as you or anyone makes a purchase,, a sweeter deal comes around the corner!!!

eg. 1 buddy has a sweet 03 duece, 2,000 miles, for 13 or less
buddy #2, 05 superglide,6,000 miles,,, 10,000$
food for thought!
good luck

Old 09-14-2007, 10:27 PM
Xocjm
Tourer

Something to consider. The Evo is an excellent motor but it is not as good as a TC88. I've had both and can't complain about either but from what I read the TC88 will last longer before a rebuild and that aside the bike you are looking at is almost 10 years old. though the miles on a motor do matter the bike is still almost ten years old. I just did a quick search on e-bay and found a 2006 Dyna Wide-Glide for $12,995 buy it now price. There is a glut of 05, 06, and 07 bikes on the market. My choice would be a newer model. Michael

Old 09-14-2007, 10:35 PM
txfxstrider
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 86 Likes on 55 Posts

I will only address the EVO since that is what I have. Very strong engine, fairly easy to work on, adequate power. Base gasket leaking has been a problem on some bikes. Mine has about 50k miles and no problem. On the bike that you are considering you should allow for replacing the tires regardless of mileage. Nine year old tires are an accident waiting to happen. Oil is a "few" years old. How many? Too many and the oil should look and feel thicker than good oil. I would drain the oil to look at it and put new oil and filter before running it. The engine should not sound like a few bearings bouncing around. I would not run that engine any more with that old oil in it. Go listen to that 96 and see if it sounds the same as this one.

As for as comparable power and performance, I don't think you will know the difference. I have a stock 96 FXSTC with S&S carb and Hooker 2 into 1 exhaust and my son has a 2005 Deluxewith FI, SERT, V&H pipes, and some other stuff and I can keep up with him from start to about eighty or ninety and then he creeps ahead.

Good luck.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:46 AM
EricVonZipper
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Evo engine is one of the best engines Harley ever produced. I wish I had another one. I've had good luck so far (knock on wood) with the twin cam bikes too, though.

Considering the current market, $10,500 sounds a bit much for a 98 Wide Glide, though, imo, in spite of the low mileage.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:14 AM
HGM
Road Warrior
Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I'm on my 2nd EVO right now.. No problems at all.. There are many threads on here where guys are claiming 100k or more on their EVO's.. With that being said, I'm quite comfortable with owning a 10-15yr old EVO. In fact when my wife gets ready, I may get her one as well. I have seen 90-91 FXR's in the $7k range(cheaper than a sporty!!).. Even if I bought it and went through it, it would be more cost effective than a new one.. Just my thoughts, I like working on things and knowing what makes them tick..

My buddy just bought a '99 WG with the TC and 11k mi on it for $9000. So far its been a good bike, he has no complaints..I would definitly shop around and find the one you like at the right price for you.. If I went with a TC, because of the cam bearing issue, I would pucker a bit with the '99-00 model years (I think thats when they had the recall)..

I think you'd be happy with either.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:19 AM
wjl24
Road Captain
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I would'nt worry about wether you get an EVO or TC. Both are solid. Find the bike you like at the best deal and get it.

Old 09-15-2007, 09:22 AM
texasridr
Cruiser

There are lots of bikes to look at. This is a fun process! This one's next on my list to see: 01 fxdwg

Orange and black factory color. No scratches or dings. 18k miles
Factory alarm. Chrome front end.
Wild 1 Chubby handlebars. Vance and Hines long shots.
S & S carb. Detachable windshield.
9000 firm.

Old 09-15-2007, 11:31 AM
dswansbiker
Road Warrior
Received 108 Likes on 33 Posts

The late Evo's were fine engines, and in some aspects better than the TC; no cam chain tensioners to worry about is probably the number one advantage. But the asking price is out of line nowadays. He is at least 2k high.

Quick Reply: new to HD & buying used: Evo vs TC88