General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Harley Davidson Warranty

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 05:33 PM
08CVORK
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Harley Davidson Warranty

Question: After you buy a new Harley Davidson motorcycle from a dealer and you go to the parts counter and purchase some optional parts from their Screaming Eagle section, how can HD say that they will void your warranty? And does that also mean that the Screaming Eagle parts themselves have no warranty? Looks like that could be construed as a means for Harley Davidson take away a part of the new bike purchase that was just made in good faith....Seems cheaply crooked and unlawful doesn't it? I believe there is a law against this practice isn't there?

Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default RE: Harley Davidson Warranty

SE parts are considered for Racing. You'd have to have the dealership to suggest for them to be installed. There's a fine line there. Read on teh part box for SE. For off road use only.

I'd also probaly find another dealer and ask them.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Tralfaz
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

There's a beginning to your story that seems to be missing.

Looking at the label on the SE air cleaner and SERT I bought a little bit back it only indicates that there could be warranty issues if you don't have an authorized HD mechanic install them. Since improper installation of either of these parts could affect the engine in an adverse way, I can understand them wanting to cover their *** if someone that doesn't know what they are doing installs them improperly and causes some damage that would likely not have otherwise happened.

Another side note is that, when I bought my last motorcycle, they told me that any parts I had installed before pickup would be covered under the extended warranty even, so it seems like HD supports their SE parts. Of course, some of the SE parts are labeled as valid for street use, and others are not, but that's a whole other matter.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:24 PM
oldfartjc
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

There's a beginning to your story that seems to be missing.

Looking at the label on the SE air cleaner and SERT I bought a little bit back it only indicates that there could be warranty issues if you don't have an authorized HD mechanic install them. Since improper installation of either of these parts could affect the engine in an adverse way, I can understand them wanting to cover their *** if someone that doesn't know what they are doing installs them improperly and causes some damage that would likely not have otherwise happened.

Another side note is that, when I bought my last motorcycle, they told me that any parts I had installed before pickup would be covered under the extended warranty even, so it seems like HD supports their SE parts. Of course, some of the SE parts are labeled as valid for street use, and others are not, but that's a whole other matter.
I didn't buy an extended warranty and never do but I was told that any accessories and SE II Exhaust and SE A/C and SERT would then be covered under the 2 year warranty if they were installed at the time I purchased the bike. I also received 10% off of everything including installation on everything Ipurchased that day at the dealer, and two freetee shirts of course. So that's what I did and picked it up about 4 hours later with everything ready to go.

Old 09-13-2007, 06:33 PM
hdpearson13
Road Warrior
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

there deffinetly is a fine line if you look in the book and theres a green light next to them that wont void your warranty and as far as a dealer saying that whatever you put on befor delevery its covered thats in correct if a dealler put a se113 in the bike before delivery it is not covered by warranty however if a 103 with all the se streetlegal components are installed they are also i cant exactly remember but you have 60,90 or 180 days after the papers are signed to add any streetlegal se parts on the bike to be covered under warranty. I know about the 113 from personal experience. most dealer know the way s to get around some warranty issues but got to be careful with that so find a dealer thats good and maintain a good relationship with thtem that will pay off in the event if something does go wrong and the shop will go the extra set for ya

Old 09-13-2007, 08:26 PM
08CVORK
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks all, for the clarification. Helps to ask...I hear horror stories from here and there and sometimes forget the details. I forgot about the 'green light' applications in the catalog.....OK!

Thanks!