General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No workie

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 04:31 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 4,226 Likes on 1,841 Posts
Default No workie

I have just installed LED bulbs in my rear turn signals. I also have installed (per instructions) a biketronics smart equilizer and the HD run-turn-brake controller. Nothing works. No running lights, no brake lights, no turnsignals. I reinstallthe incandescent bulbs and PRESTO, I have lights...What gives?
Edit: By the way, I have used 6 different LED bulbs and all are new.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:41 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: No workie

Well you could try it without the equalizer, and see if they work at all. If they do I would say you got a bad equilizer. Sounds like thats the only variable that you havent checked.

Chris

Old 09-13-2007, 04:48 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Chris, but I have tried that too. Ijust can't figure it out. I know I have juice going there since the incandescent bulbs work. I have also tried it without the run-turn brake disconnected.Unless someone comes up with something I haven't tried, I guess I'm out about a hunderd bucks.

Old 09-13-2007, 04:55 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

So, with incandesent bulbs, everything works good when the run/turn/brake controler is on and the load equalizer is installed everything works right. Is that correct? But if you put in the LED bulbs nothing works at all even without the controler and the load equalizer? If thats the case I would say you either got some bad LED bulbs or the wrong ones all together.

Chris

Old 09-13-2007, 05:05 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

That is correct... everything works fine with regular bulbs. Nothing works with LED's. I thinkI have ruled out the bad bulbs by trying 6 different bulbs (LED), but the receptical is for an 1156 bulb and I am running an 1156 style led bulb. Have tried bulbsI bought at Autozone and also bought 1156 style LED bulbs from Kuryakyn I just purchased from a local Indy

Old 09-13-2007, 05:27 PM
sonar_chris
Outstanding HDF Member

Just a thought, but if you put the LED bulbs in the front turn signals and didnt add a load equalizer to both the front and the back this may be causing your problem. I dont know if you had just changed out the rear bulbs or all 4 but if you just did the equalizer to the rear lights and not the front with the LED's that may be your problem as well. You could check this by just putting the LEDs in your rear lights with the equalizer and run/turn/brake controler and incandesent up front.

Chris

Old 09-13-2007, 05:52 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Chris...I didn't change the front turn signals. They are still incandescents. Am going to give J&P a call tomorrow and see what their tech people say. I may be sending the load equalizer back to J&P.

Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM
tmitchellof PG
Elite HDF Member
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I changed the rear only turn signals, to LEDs. I also installed a Biketronics, tailbones converter, so the rear signals would also operate as brake and running lights. I did not use any load equalizer. When I called Biketronics to see if I needed a load equalizer, they said I should first try a momentary disconnect of the battery. This lets the ECM adjust to the different load, if it can. Everything worked fine.
Tom

Old 09-13-2007, 07:42 PM
ChromeJunkie
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks Tom,
I tried that too. I thinkI will just return the Load equilizer back to J&P and continue to run incandescents...At least they will WORK.