General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEO's attitudes vary state-to-state?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007, 08:46 PM
Arizona
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
Default RE: LEO's attitudes vary state-to-state?

Cops are people too and personalities vary considerable of course. Some are hard nosed about every little thing and others kinda look at life from the "bigger picture" and are more lenient.

One thing I have observed is that actual dedicated Motor or Traffic Cops whose assignment it is to enforce traffic laws give few warnings... They don't bother to pull you over if they don't intend to cite you. Their entire purpose in life is to enforce traffic laws via cites.

Then there are the beat cops who are more focused towards general law enforcement. They may or may not pay alot of attention to traffic matters because there are many other bigger problems going on to deal with than traffic infractions.

Different jurisdictions or cities may push their officers to be more strict on traffic. Alot depends on politics, citizen complaints about various probs, etc. The police administrators dance to the tune of the city council and what thecitizens may or may not whine about.

Old 09-14-2007, 09:45 PM
kjriv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cops are human bro,...a job like that with stress coming at you from multiple angles....its tuff to be the nice guy always...

..that said, the first cop probably got sometail the nite before, while the second probably realized his wife was giving it up to someone ELSE!

s

Old 09-14-2007, 10:49 PM
Baeseman1
Elite HDF Member
Received 99 Likes on 78 Posts

Now about a month ago, I was riding through Virginia and get pulled over and wrote up, two tickets. One for non-DOT helmet, and one for non-stock pipes.
I don't get it. Non-stock pipes? Here is a section of VA motorcycle rules/regulations. If they don't have 'acoustical criteria' for mufflers or sound levels, why bother with the non-stock pipes ticket?

Mirror Left(L) Right(R)
One required by law

Radar Detector
Prohibited to use or possess

Turn Signals
Not Required

Muffler
No acoustical criteria.

Maximum Sound Level
No acoustical criteria.

State Insurance Requirements
Compulsory Liability (Minimum Limits)(25/50/20) - Insurance or $400 uninsured motor vehicle fee required.

Handlebar Height
No Restrictions

Old 09-14-2007, 11:13 PM
Wolhar
Banned
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Seems the attitude varies from Patrol Car to Patrol Car, I think it might have something to do with sugar content of the Donuts

Old 09-14-2007, 11:16 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Around here we don't have a lot of BS motorcycle laws. That said, the local police department is bonzai about preventing "crashes". Now to me that is doing the public good thing. Reminding us via enforcement that running red lights is hazardous to your health, speeding sets you up for a crash that you can no longer avoid, and failure to yield the right of way is serving the public good.

I know most of the few motorcycle officers we have, plus a few who own their personal bikes. They are avid riders. BUT, when it comes to enforcement, they are more likely to warn than cite. I am a volunteer with the police department here, and I hear a lot of traffic stops where the officer reports a warning issued, rather than a citation. It is their discretion, for sure, but still the brass dictates enforcement thrusts. They'll do enhanced enforcement where there have been lots of "crashes", and they are really effective.

The bottom line is they are there to protect the public. Protecting the public from themselves is part of it.[8D]

Old 09-15-2007, 01:15 AM
dawg
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,222 Likes on 1,839 Posts

[sm=popcorn.gif]

Old 09-15-2007, 06:54 AM
dog155
Extreme HDF Member
Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts

It vary's from town to town around here.The busier the traffic the less hassle.

Old 09-15-2007, 07:15 AM
Chopperz
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just got a ticket for 17mph over.It's 20mph I was doin 37.I'll go to traffic school and pay the $115.I was embarrased, I used to be able to spot those unmarked plain jane squads a mile away.First ticket in years,after the 4 hr. school,it's completely off your record.I took the gamble and won at least hundred times,now it's time to pay the piper.The cop was cool,I think their attitudes vary from sqad to squad.

Old 09-15-2007, 08:19 AM
TattoodCaptain
Road Warrior
Received 951 Likes on 399 Posts

ORIGINAL: ******

Seems the attitude varies from Patrol Car to Patrol Car, I think it might have something to do with sugar content of the Donuts
LMAO!!![sm=exactly.gif]

Old 09-15-2007, 09:08 AM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: ******

That is so 70s Rah....

Get with the times bro. It's no longer coffee and donuts. It's Latte and bagels!!

Quick Reply: LEO's attitudes vary state-to-state?