General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

LEO's attitudes vary state-to-state?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 03:24 PM
Akitakoi
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default RE: LEO's attitudes vary state-to-state?

Living just outside Milwaukee I can say that they rarely look at Harley riders. In fact they havetheir ownclub, the Untouchables.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:48 PM
jbphoto
Road Warrior
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default For Michael and any other WV riders

For Michael and any other WV riders.

For those of you who are not already aware, be careful as you travel south past the 79 / 77 split going into Charleston. There are often speed traps set up where the speed limit drops very quickly to 60 from 70. I got busted there last year driving my work van, which has numerous military / Vietnam Vet / Bronze Star decals on the back. No slack. It quickly became very plain to me that there would be NO opportunity for discussion with this particular Charleston City cop. Now, if he'd been older, maybe, but he looked like he hadn't been out of the academy for long. As this relates to Michael's original post and has been stated above, I don't believe it's the state or jurisdiction as much as it's the individual LEO's general attitude and his frame of mind at that moment.

Old 09-13-2007, 05:52 PM
officespacedout!
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ORIGINAL: 87lowrider

ORIGINAL: ckgdrums

I think it varies from cop to cop. Some are more strict than others, some are pretty laid back.
Have to agree here.
The things we are not aware of is:
At roll call big the boss tell them toout & get me some tickets.
Was there an accident prior to one riding or driving that certain stretch of road?As another member pointed out.
Did the cop have a bad day,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,remember sh*t rolls down hill.

Now if your in New Jersey,,,,,,,,everything applies.
I have to counter your point because as I am sure you read my post yesterday (the… “I hate COPS” that got deleted??) not that I don’t agree with you that everyone is human and should be given the benefit of the doubt.
I think that LEO’s have to constantly be aware that they are “in the public eye” at all times (when they are in uniform) which means they must uphold a cool, calm demeanor and always be professional especially in how they do there job. In this day and age the police are under constant scrutiny by the public and if they even give someone just a little attitude they can (and will) be held accountable. I am not the type of person to immediately judge a LEO because they are doing something to me that I don’t like or agree with BUT I do expect a professional attitude and I don’t care if they just saw a whole family killed in a senseless accident. If it affects them that much (and I am sure it will and I don’t blame them) then they need to take a break and step back for a few moments… it could also be the difference between a typical traffic stop and one that escalates into a full blown life threatening felony stop! And you know what happens if a LEO is not frosty cool in that sitch…
***A side note*** If you read my post yesterday you will know that I wrote it right when I got to work and was a little hot… but I did edit in a disclaimer that there is a difference between COPS and LEO’s… well on that note I talked to one of my customer/buddies who was on duty yesterday (he is motorcycle CHP) and he filed a report for me with his commander, because he even felt that the officer that pulled me over was out of line.
I got a call from her (the officer that wrote the ticket) commander and he apologized for her actions (after talking to her and she told him that she felt she made a mistake as well and may have been out of line) So it is obvious that they are human and can (and will) make mistakes but they just need to own up to it and not let people go away mad feeling like they have just been harassed by an officer that “was having a bad day”
This just my humble perspective so don’t take it the wrong way I amnot flaming you

The funny thing is I still have to change the exhaust back to stock before my buddy will sign off on the fix it ticket… like I said I can respect professionalism

Old 09-13-2007, 07:21 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Police officers are sworn to uphold the laws of the land. It does not matter if they believe in the law or not believe in the law. It is their duty (obligation) to enforce and uphold them.The question is were they honorable in the way they do their job. Attitudes vary by your perception. Some officers are courteous, respectful, friendly etc. While others can be rude, overzealous, and unempathetic.

A cop who writes you for speeding, pipes, or something else is doing what he has sworn to do. Do not forget he is also writing you because you were speeding, had loud pipes etc. Cops have discretion based on the spirit of the law vs letter of the law. If you can ride in a state with multiple violations great, but do not expect all states to allow you to the same.

For the original poster, some might say your attitude does not reflect the majority of "bikers". You blatanly flaunt the law because you feel they are bullsh!t, while others feel they should comply with what is currently on the books. It varys.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:53 PM
Punisher
Cruiser

We actually dont "give" tickets. You earn them.

Ticket quotas are illegal, in all states. We canprovide you with as many as you earn.

"lets be careful out there."....

Old 09-13-2007, 09:58 PM
oldmanwayne
Road Captain
Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

got yelled at for parking half-**sd in a handicap parking one day by a local LEO ( ok over the white line) Chew'd me out for 5 minutes but did not write me a ticket. Followed me up to the local gas station and motioned me over to his cruiser. Said "You know- I was having a very bad day and took it out on you. I am very sorry and just wanted to apoligize!!" Drove off- I thought to myself- LEO's are human after all......

Old 09-13-2007, 11:37 PM
CSI
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

ORIGINAL: Punisher

We actually dont "give" tickets. You earn them.
[sm=funnypostabove.gif]

Old 09-13-2007, 11:44 PM
HTRAUD
Road Warrior

Cops have a tough job. People expect them to be perfect and to "harass" other people and not them individually. They are human. They are married, have children, a mortgage etc. They run towards danger when 95% of the public runs away. They get called names, work odd hours in some of the most unstable areas, and are expected to forego taking care of their own families during disasters - Katrina, 9-11.

People should support the police like they support the troops.

Old 09-13-2007, 11:53 PM
Softy
Road Master

ORIGINAL: michaelbarry

ORIGINAL: max56

Maybe because they've taken an oath to enforce the laws that you're so blatently disobeying? A lot of cops will look the other way for one offense, but you seem to be stacking them in defiance.
No, they NEVER say anything around here to me. Maybe they just realize that those laws that i'm breaking are bullshit laws anyway and could, in no way, harm anyone else.
It's because leo's in WV are cool and don't poke at things that don't need poked. They will give you a ticket for a novelty helmet here though,if they pull you over for something else. WV is a pretty motorcycle friendly state and the state police have better things to do than harass people. They are all mostly good ol boys who don't have to prove anything.

If there is a traffic check going on,or an enforcment being done,like checking for stickers or plates,we usually know about it days ahead of time. 2cents

Old 09-14-2007, 05:28 PM
Kingcase
3rd Gear

It does depend on how laid back the LEO is / or how new the LEO is. Being a LEO myself, I love motorcycles and I don't bother them unless they're doing something incredibly stupid (usually crotch rockets... Nothing against crotch rockets). We have citizens with more money than they know what to do with. They constantly complain about motorcycle noise level, speed etc... So it seems they get together once a month and find something to whine about and every year (riding season) they fight motorcycles. There financial status puts pressure on City Officials to pressure law enforcers (you know the political ladder). It will go for a while that law enforcement agencies will have zero tolerance on motorcycles, then they let off. Money is power! I don't care how loud it is. The louder the better. As long as you're a responsible rider and you love motorcycles, then you're family and I don't ticket family.

Quick Reply: LEO's attitudes vary state-to-state?