Notices
General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT Carbon Fiber Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 09:47 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default DOT Carbon Fiber Helmets

Unfortunately I live in NC, a state with a helmet law. I currently, usually ride with a novelty half helmet I picked up from a rally vendor. I have a DOT approved modular full-face that I absolutely hate, especially when it's hot. I've tried the usual DOT approved half-helmets and hate the way they make me look like "the great gazoo" from the flintstones with the mushroom head. So, I won't buy one. With all the talk here and elsewhere about cracking down on helmet law enforcement, I thought I'd try again to find something DOT approved, comfortable, open, and doesn't make me look like a retard in the process. A buddy was telling me about some carbon fiber helmets he had seen that look very close to a novelty style helmet yet are DOT approved. I'm wondering if anyone has one of these and/or can tell me where I can find one. I haven't had very much luck buying things like helmets or clothes online as far as proper fit goes so I'd like to be able to try one on first if possible.

Anyone have any thoughts on such a thing?

I already know I'm going to get slammed by the "better mushroom head than no head" people so let's try to leave that out of the discussion here. I've seen many people for whom those helmets fit and look completely fine on. But, trust me, on me they are liable to cause an accident just from the uncontrollable laughter of motorists around me.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:55 AM
AR_Guy
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DOT Carbon Fiber Helmets

I have the same problem. I can't find a half helmet that fits me correctly. So I'm riding with a full face Shoei RF1000.

The company that you are looking for is at http://www.carbonfiberhelmets.com/

I've spoken to them on the phone. They claim to have a 100% return policy if you are not happy. Erin also mentioned that they can shape the helmet for different head sizes. I've seen their helmets and they look real good. Give them a call.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:56 AM
Jakie
Tourer

Hey bud I feel the same way and share your pain.
Some guys look decent in a half dot style. I look like
you said. Maybe its by narrow head and big nose. LOL.
I have been trying to find someone who sells them around my area.
So far I haven't any luck. I will not mail order a helmet ever again.
Helmets are tricky beast. They have to be just right or up on the shelf
with the rest of my collection. I'm going to follow your post to
see what people have to say. Sorry I can't help yea.
Hey by the way I look like Marvin the Martian with my dot dome on.

Old 09-13-2007, 09:56 AM
anniv03classic
Tourer

Hey 2007,

I know what you're talking about. I have a full face and a half helmet.

I definately look like the Great Gazoo in the half helmet, and my family even laughs at me. I can't even wear baseball type hats. The sunburn on my growing bald spot can attest to that. I'm in Illinois and we do not have a helmet law (YET). But, I like to play it safe when riding long distances. I hope someone on this forum can come up with some choices of helmets that are DOT approved and don't make me look like a bigger DORK than I already am. 2007fxdc, I thought I was the only one in the "Funny looking guy in the helmet" club

Old 09-13-2007, 10:00 AM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

My carbon fiber helmet from ACC (www.carbonfiberhelmets.com) should be here today. GREAT customer service from them so far, and they absolutely stand behind their 100% return policy. Only snag is it takes about 6 weeks to get one. They are apparently overwhelmed with orders right now. However, there are a few dealers around that carry their helmets; you can find them listed at their website. Not sure where you are in the state, but there is a dealer in Mocksville that stocks their stuff.

Definitely worth consideration of their product.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:02 AM
fkstk181
Cruiser

The web site given by AR_Guy is correct. I have a helmet from them DOT approved and it does not have the "mushroom head" look at all. I was very leary about ordering on-line, especially a helmet that costs so much. I ordered it and had it 4 days later. I measured my head and ordered the medium and it was just way to tight. Called them up and they shipped a large along with a return label for the old one. Very painless and easy to deal with. Overall I am very pleased with how lightweight it is, and it is only slightly larger than a novelty helmet but compared to everything else I have tried it is the lowest profile helmet I have found. IMO it was well worth the money and they do have various colors to choose from. I also was happy with the nexl helmets, but I seemed to have ordered mine b-4 other members had major issues with the shipping and bad customer service, but that too is a pretty lightweight low-profile helmet, but the carbon fiber is even smaller. Good luck.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:05 AM
Sharknose
Elite HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have a DOT approved ACC carbon fiber/kevlar half helmet that's not much bigger than a beanie. The biggest advantage I noticed is that it's much lighter than any other DOT helmet I've ever seen. The biggest complaint is that it tends to blow backward on my head at speed. The one I have is shownhere. I have the flat black one (left column 4th from the top & #7 in right column) but I look at lot better in mine than they guy in the pic

These helmets are not inexpensive, and you're smart to want to try one on before you buy it, but to be honest the fit is very forgiving since they're not totally lined with styrofoam.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:11 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

I checked it out and I think that's what I'm looking for. But, GD, almost $200. I guess that's better than getting a ticket and getting held on the side of the road until I find a ride or an approved helmet. Looks like the extended half is similar to what I have now. It took me a while to find that one even in a novelty helmet. The regular novelty half helmets don't stick out as far on the sides but sit way too far up on my head.

I knew, the day I bought my bike, when I tried on a DOT HD half helmet, my wife's eyes opened wide, jaw dropped, and said no way you're ever going to pull one of those off and then laughed at me.

I can deal with the 6 week backlog and, if they have a no-hassle return policy (as they should at those prices), then I may very well give it a shot. There appear to be some similar ones on ebay that are much cheaper but if it doesn't fit, you're stuck with it.

CHADRIGGS, please come back and post here when you get your helmet and let us know how it looks/feels.

Thanks for all the quick responses.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:13 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member

Weasel, do you wear a "do-rag" under your helmet? I have the problem with mine blowing back at speed too but I find it stays in place much better when I wear a "do-rag" with it.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:26 AM
uesque
Tourer

I have a head that looks best in a full face helmet, even better with a tinted shield.

Quick Reply: DOT Carbon Fiber Helmets