General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DOT Carbon Fiber Helmets

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007, 12:41 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: DOT Carbon Fiber Helmets

i have a acc dot carbon (2 actually) and LOVE IT . its nearly a novelty (in size) but DOT and not a mushroom. I have experienced the blow back too at speeds and will be trying the do rag thing to see if that resolves it. the fit was smaller then normal but with the different size form inserts it fits great now and broke in very nicely.

I will NEVER wear a mushroom again and this is the best and lightest helmet EVER.

best money i have spent in a long time.

Old 09-13-2007, 12:42 PM
Smitty0128
Road Master

i think the 10% still applies as we have a hdf member from the company who is active here

Old 09-13-2007, 12:49 PM
mountainpharm
Road Captain

ORIGINAL: 2007fxdc

Chad, in your first post you said it takes 6 weeks to get one. Is that for an off the shelf one or a custom made helmet?

Also, I assume the DOT helmets from them have a sticker or are inscribed as such somewhere on the helmet? Can someone confirm that? My take on the NC law is, once they get straight what's approved and what isn't, enforcement will strictly be looking for DOT approved markings on the outside and inside of the helmets.
If you order directly from ACC it will take 6 weeks; I believe they make each helmet to order. They do not offer "off-the-shelf" product availability directly from them, I'm sure for inventory reasons. However, you may want to check out Ground Pounders in Mocksville (www.groundpoundersltd.com) and see what they have in stock, and if they will ship to you.

Old 09-13-2007, 01:21 PM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Appreciate all the feedback and look forward to hearing about your new lid when you get it. I see that they have a dealership in Mocksville and I've heard of Mocksville. But, I don't know exactly where it is and expect it's too far away just to drop by and try on a helmet or two. I'm interested to hear how yours fits though. For example, if you measured and found that you needed a medium and it comes in and is too tight, a little tight, etc. The last helmet I ordered online, I followed the size chart and measured my head at different angles several times and ordered the helmet the next size up from what was recommended from the largest measurement I took and it was still too small.

Old 09-13-2007, 02:24 PM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

My carbon fiber helmet doesn't slide back at all. I had bought the big ole HD beanie and felt like I looked stupid in it. So, I spent the $$$ to buy a helmet from www.carbonfiberhelmets.com and I'm very pleased with the lightweight and the look of it. It's the best money I've spent. I agree with the others here - great customer service and you get a discount by telling them you are a member of HD forums.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/F62E9EF5FB4E44F19D3A4D8E17D0FEF6.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2007, 09:37 AM
2007fxdc
Elite HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Can any of you guys that have ordered and received these helmets comment on how they fit compared to how you measured your head along with the size you ordered? I don't want to wait 6 weeks, have a bad fit, and have to wait another 6 weeks.

Thanks

Old 09-16-2007, 10:47 AM
tail11
Road Master
Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

Mine fits good. Make sure you measure your head as they instruct you on the website. When you call to place your order and have a concern if you're an inbetween size, ask them. When you get your helmet, they send three different sizes of foam for a more precise fit.

[IMG]local://upfiles/13603/DD357B99CECE460DBE9687F6A6F352DE.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-16-2007, 02:10 PM
1Fatking
Advanced

when I ordered mine (candy red DOT polo) I told them what i wanted but did not want to wait 6 weeks for one. Erin from ACC looked up on her computer and found one of her dealers who had what I wanted in stock andtold me to call them and say that Erin refered me to them so that i can get the 10% discount that ACC offers. Ordered what I wanted andhad it at my door in 4 days, Little pricy but it is by far the best purchase made in a long time.

Old 09-16-2007, 03:20 PM
WouldBeHD
Tourer

Order one, you won't regret. I have a DOT polo and love it. The customer service is fantastic and the built quality is second to none.

Old 09-16-2007, 06:38 PM
AzDon
Tourer

The built-in visor styling of the polo helmet looks cool, but I'm wondering if it is a wind catcher that tries to lift off while pullin the chin strap(?) Not sure which one i'm gonna want

Quick Reply: DOT Carbon Fiber Helmets