General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who uses a local motorcycle mechanic instead of HD

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005 | 11:35 AM
Inforit
|
Road Captain
Default Who uses a local motorcycle mechanic instead of HD

I need to get new tires put on and was thinking of maybe taking it to a local motorcycle mechanic around my area, which is LI, NY instead of HD stealer. Anyone use a local shop to do that kind of work or you take it to the HD dealer. Also how much am I looking at if I bring my own tires and ask HD to put them on for me. Thanks.

Old 11-28-2005 | 12:25 PM
lil_gmac2
Outstanding HDF Member
Default RE: Who uses a local motorcycle mechanic instead of HD

I plan on using my local motorcycle mechanic after my 1K miles services. He use to work for Harley for 15 years he charges half of what harley charges. Also he offer HD parts if you perfer.

Old 11-28-2005 | 12:29 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

I do my own tires. I take them off and take them to an Independent who mounts and balances the new tires for 20.00 each. I then go put them back on.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-28-2005 | 12:53 PM
dowe66
3rd Gear

Same here. I do my own tires. As compared to having them done by a dealer/other mechanic it saves me about $130. The last change I made was about $100.00 for the tire mounting and balancing. The changing of the tire is not that difficult if you have some mechanical abilities. If you can change oil you can change a tire.

Old 11-28-2005 | 01:30 PM
Inforit
|
Road Captain

Interesting. The front looks to be easy, but the back looks little more complimcated and time consuming.

Old 11-28-2005 | 01:52 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

The back is a little more time consuming, and you need a belt tension tool that you can get from HD for about 20.00 bucks, but the money you save will more than pay for it the first tire change.

There are a lot of us here that can help you if you get in a bind.

I just put Wide White Wall tires on my wife's Hertiage, and it cost about 270.00. that was for the tires shipped to my house, and mounting and balancing. At the HD shop it would have been 320.00 or so just for the tires.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-28-2005 | 02:19 PM
Beefcake
Tourer

Always go to the local guy.....HD will only rape you....and they WON'T kiss you beforehand either!

Old 11-28-2005 | 10:01 PM
LT753
Road Warrior

I try to do as much of my own stuff as I can, use local wrench as much as possible and when all else fails, it's off to HD I go.

Lynn

Old 11-28-2005 | 10:13 PM
cmorris48
Road Captain

Some of the fun of having a scooter is doing some of the stuff yourself ! This weekend I installed a docking system for the sissy bar/backrest, installed slip on mufflers, and a new Sundowner seat. I had also recently intalled an engine guard. Friend of mine who rides with us lets the dealer do it all....how much fun can that be? I am financially challenged so I need to learn how to do as much of this as I can. Now that I have read this thread I may give the tires a shot when it is time. You will find lots of folks here who will help (as some have already offered).

Old 11-28-2005 | 10:18 PM
bfrmbama
Tourer

There's a HD dealer in my area (Earl Small's Marrietta, GA) that has a full time tire guy. $120 bucks for tire, balancing and mounting. I couldn't believe the price considering any other Harley dealer is gonna charge you at least 90 bucks for rear tire removal alone.

There's also a shop in my area that does nothing but motorcycle tires but this guy is actually about 10 bucks higher then Earl Small's.

Anyway, ask around and you might find a deal in your area. That is if you decide not to do your own.

bfrmbama

Quick Reply: Who uses a local motorcycle mechanic instead of HD