General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who uses a local motorcycle mechanic instead of HD

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2005 | 10:19 PM
Zack
Cruiser
Default RE: Who uses a local motorcycle mechanic instead of HD

I have the local HD dealer do all my service work. Only because I have an HD credit card that earns enough points to pay for all my service expense. Otherwise I too would find it to be excess expense.

Zack

Old 11-28-2005 | 11:56 PM
Mikeeeeeeeeee
"Moderator & Connoisseur of Ice Cream"

Best investment is the shop manual and do a lot of your own stuff. Get a torque wrench and get after it!

Mikeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Old 11-28-2005 | 11:57 PM
scratch
Advanced

I hear ots of people like Rosa's cycle shop in Huntington. Never been there myself though, I live in Westchester.

Old 11-29-2005 | 12:43 AM
Inforit
|
Road Captain

Thanks for the info guys. But tires is something that I rather have a professional do. I installed new handlebars myself with my father in law help and took us only 5.5 hours but I saved a lot by doing it myself so I might try changing the tires myself. Thanks for the info scratch, Ill have to look into that shop. If you know any others in the LI area let me know.

Old 11-29-2005 | 06:30 AM
Lev
Tourer

I have 5 dealerships within 70 miles of me, but I travel double that distance to use an independant mechanic who only spanners Buells. It works out cheaper because of his lower labour rates, and I know it will get the best attention as he is a perfectionist, with customers traveling as far as from mainland Europe to have him work on thier bike. He even has the local dealership send him customers when they cant find the fault.

Lev

By the way this is 200 I wonder if by title will change?

Thats a no then

Old 11-29-2005 | 08:28 AM
pococj
Seasoned HDF Member

I use a slightly balding old geezer who has a shop big enough for one bike at a time. It's conveniently located, and the guy doesn't screw things up too bad, at least not very often. He's a somewhat crotchety ol' fart, but we see eye-to-eye on everything. Tends to talk to himself a bit, a trait that's getting worse every year. He's not the brightest match in the book, but is smart enough to know his limitations, and will defer to a better mechanic when he gets stumped.

Old 11-29-2005 | 10:20 AM
pilot1996
Seasoned HDF Member

I'm in need of a back tire, and I just hit 10K, so there is getting ready to be some work done to the scoot (to include a new chrome inner primary if I ever get the funds, but this will wait in order to get christmas together). I do need a tire, or I'm not riding pretty soon...

Long way of getting to my point, Bill, where do you buy your tires for your Classic?

Mac

Old 11-29-2005 | 11:44 AM
bfrmbama
Tourer

ORIGINAL: dowe66
If you can change oil you can change a tire.
Is it that easy? I can change the fluids and do some adjustments but I've been kind of nervous about removing the rear wheel. I do have the manual though and wouldn't mind giving it a shot.

Are you guys using a lift or do you just leave the bike on the jack while you take the wheels to the shop?

Old 11-29-2005 | 11:49 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

Mac,

I get tires from American Motorcycle Tire. They are in the Phoenix area, so you should get them really quick. I had mine in 4 days. They had the best price I could find, and shipping wasn's but about 5.00 each if I remember right.

Regards,

Bill

Old 11-29-2005 | 11:53 AM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member

bfrmbama,

You will pretty much need a lift to do tires, but if you are going to do much of your own stuff at all you will need a lift. Sears has them for around 70.00 if I recall. Checker Auto and some others have them for similar prices.

They are great for changing fluids, tires, or just for washing the bike. Lets you turn the wheels so you can really get things clean.

Regards,

Bill

Quick Reply: Who uses a local motorcycle mechanic instead of HD