General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Punched out the baffles on stock syna pipes

Search this Thread

Old 11-12-2007, 11:25 AM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default RE: Punched out the baffles on stock syna pipes

If you punch out the baffles on the stock pipes what do you put on the bike to get it through inspection. Or don't you bother doing that?

I want to get a little louder sound out of my stock 08 Soft Tail. I'm leaning toward the Rush 1.75 slip ons but figure I'll probablyhave to throw the stocks back on in 4yrs when its due for reinspection.

Still learning but seems to me that if a pipe is EPA certified it's going to be no louder than stock. Am I wrong?

Old 11-12-2007, 12:08 PM
In Memoriam Citoriplus
May our Moderator Rest in Peace
Received 29 Likes on 18 Posts

ORIGINAL: jimmers1817
If you punch out the baffles on the stock pipes what do you put on the bike to get it through inspection. Or don't you bother doing that?
We don't have that kind of inspection here, yet. So if the lights work and the brakes work it passes inspection.

I want to get a little louder sound out of my stock 08 Soft Tail. I'm leaning toward the Rush 1.75 slip ons but figure I'll probablyhave to throw the stocks back on in 4yrs when its due for reinspection.
I think that's going to depend on the local inspection rules. Here its done not by the state or local government officials but by the dealers and regestered indy shops. Soas long as a modificationdoesn't have detrimental effects onoverall safety issuses they tend to ignorethings.

Still learning but seems to me that if a pipe is EPA certified it's going to be no louder than stock. Am I wrong?
I'm a bit curious about that one cause on the surface your argument does make a lot of sense.
But where government sets the rules and how they enforce them on a local level is probably going to vary depending on where you are. Then there is inevetable question ofdoes the inspector who looks at your bikelike the overall look and didhe get "lucky" or frustrated the night before.

Old 11-12-2007, 03:23 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Hopefully I won't have to worry about it for 4 years. Unless I get snagged by one of our roving inspection teams that set up unannounced along hiways and wave you in as you pass by. It's mostly a revenue thing for local towns so their cops can write hundreds of tickets in a single sitting. After the new vehicle 4 year inspection it goes to every 2 years. I think right now they only look for obvious pipe modifications like missing baffles and the like.

Of course some towns have passed ordinances specifying the acceptable decibel levels at various speeds for MCs. So I guess it won't be long beforesomeone inventsa combo radar/decibel meter so the police can more efficiently crack down on the noise polluters.Hopefully crime will stay up in thosetownsso the police won't have time for such bs.