General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highbeams or low beams?

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2007 | 08:14 AM
John TN
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Default RE: Highbeams or low beams?

I ride daytime,,, high beam,, and spots on,,, night time,, low beam and spots with on-coming and traffic otherwise high beam and spots.

As far as the daytime and car pulling out,,, I want to be seen period, with my lights on bright and spots they can never say they didn't see me. I can adjust my speed ASAP,,,if you see a car ready to pull out or turning,,,, you already need to be defensive and slowing downin anticipation,,, keep an eye on that cardrivers head especiallyif they ain't looking at you.

Old 09-13-2007 | 12:33 PM
uesque
Tourer
Default RE: High beams or low beams?

ORIGINAL: HarleyWood

dang...two pages and still all serious replies..

High Beams...

glad to help.....
You'll put your eye out kid!

Old 09-13-2007 | 01:39 PM
AK_Hog_Herder
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Mikeeeeeeeeee

ORIGINAL: bay13

low beams and highway lights. Don't want to jury rig to make the highway lights stay on with high beams.
Low beams and hwy lights. But I did jury rig mine to stay on all the time.
Same as Mikeeeeeeee. And on the Heritage I added the HD Fog light kit and run them day and night. I may put a set of the Motolight caliper mounts on the Ultra.

Old 09-13-2007 | 01:43 PM
IAMSWUTIAMS
Extreme HDF Member

Those caliper mounts really grab your attention IMHO anyway.

Old 09-13-2007 | 02:04 PM
RDM
Road Master

I prefer high beams day or night

Old 09-13-2007 | 02:35 PM
celticgent
Road Master

i have one of the little sporty headlights, so i keep it on highbeam until i get around to buying one of those new blue-type bright lights.

on regular beam it's anemic.

Old 09-13-2007 | 04:25 PM
combat_vet
Tourer

I have been using headlight modulators for years, trust me they get a lot of attention as they toggle low/high beam at a rapid rate. Kinda looks like a strobe light.

I like the ones from Kisan Tech, well made, plug-in. Check here for yourfor asample image of what they do: http://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

Old 09-13-2007 | 06:18 PM
billfitt
Cruiser

i have a headlight modulators from http://www.comagination.com/modBulb.htm. use it on low beam and have passing lights on too. my wife says i sound like a 747 might as well look like one too.

Old 09-13-2007 | 07:13 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: StargazerXT12

High beams during the day, low at dusk/night. When I get my passing lights it will be low beams all the time. I'm also considering running lights on the engine guards.

The MSF course taught us to ride high beams during the day.
Stargazer,

MSF course really told you to ride with high beams on during the day ?

Well, I am thinking somebody hasn’t heard of the little test I stated above, I think is worth checking out maybe mentioning it to someone who teaches that course ?

Just a simple question:

Do you believe that seeing a bike coming down a road with no other cars around it, (easier to judge speed with passing a car next too it) with the bikes headlight on or even high beam on, would that be just as easy to judge the speed of the on coming bike, with a bike without it’s headlight on ? in the daytime of course.

You see, the more one thinks about it the more it makes sense at least to me.

I think it’s awful hard to judge something coming at you in the daytime, like it’s speed with a headlight on, I think it throws off judgment vs the something coming at you without a light on ? I am not saying your not going to be notice, I am concern about somebody thinks your going slower than you really are and think yeah I got the time ?

Remember the article I related in the above post, all the car drivers saw all the motorcycles, yes the ones with the headlights on were seen very good, but most miss-judged the speed of the headlights on, bikes ? which really surprised the people doing the test and me reading it !

If one believes in that theory, then what happens when you increase the light output ? like using highbeam,too me it comes to mind…… s l o w e r

I believe in mostly lights on in the daytime, but I don’t think it’s the end all and I wouldn’t go around with light or high beams on, thinking I am much safer, I think it sets up a false sense of security Hay, it’s something to keep in the back of your mind.

I believe it isn’t too big of a deal to have a friend ride down the road towards you on the side of the road, looking at headlights lights on (low and high) and off, see for yourself.

Take care,

cj

Old 09-13-2007 | 07:20 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: cj_slowdown

ORIGINAL: StargazerXT12

High beams during the day, low at dusk/night. When I get my passing lights it will be low beams all the time. I'm also considering running lights on the engine guards.

The MSF course taught us to ride high beams during the day.
Stargazer,

MSF course really told you to ride with high beams on during the day ?

Well, I am thinking somebody hasn’t heard of the little test I stated above, I think is worth checking out maybe mentioning it to someone who teaches that course ?

Just a simple question:

Do you believe that seeing a bike coming down a road with no other cars around it, (easier to judge speed with passing a car next too it) with the bikes headlight on or even high beam on, would that be just as easy to judge the speed of the on coming bike, with a bike without it’s headlight on ? in the daytime of course.

You see, the more one thinks about it the more it makes sense at least to me.

I think it’s awful hard to judge something coming at you in the daytime, like it’s speed with a headlight on, I think it throws off judgment vs the something coming at you without a light on ? I am not saying your not going to be notice, I am concern about somebody thinks your going slower than you really are and think yeah I got the time ?

Remember the article I related in the above post, all the car drivers saw all the motorcycles, yes the ones with the headlights on were seen very good, but most miss-judged the speed of the headlights on, bikes ? which really surprised the people doing the test and me reading it !

If one believes in that theory, then what happens when you increase the light output ? like using highbeam,too me it comes to mind…… s l o w e r

I believe in mostly lights on in the daytime, but I don’t think it’s the end all and I wouldn’t go around with light or high beams on, thinking I am much safer, I think it sets up a false sense of security Hay, it’s something to keep in the back of your mind.

I believe it isn’t too big of a deal to have a friend ride down the road towards you on the side of the road, looking at headlights lights on (low and high) and off, see for yourself.

Take care,

cj

Bottom line to me,

High beams get you noticed better in the daytime,

Period,

Quick Reply: Highbeams or low beams?