General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highbeams or low beams?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007 | 07:40 PM
StargazerXT12
Road Warrior
Default RE: High beams or low beams?

High beams during the day, low at dusk/night. When I get my passing lights it will be low beams all the time. I'm also considering running lights on the engine guards.

The MSF course taught us to ride high beams during the day.

Old 09-12-2007 | 07:50 PM
djamann
Club Member
Veteran: Marine Corp

Modulated low beams at day. Hi beams at night when no one is coming the other way. I do want to do the highwayt light conversion this winther though

Old 09-12-2007 | 08:33 PM
HarleyWood
Outstanding HDF Member

dang...two pages and still all serious replies..

High Beams...

glad to help.....

Old 09-12-2007 | 08:36 PM
cardboard
Elite HDF Member

My buddy has s friend that had his bright light on during the day, A old man locked in on the high beam lights and ran over him during the day sitting at a redlight. Seems the old man couldn't take his eyes off the bright light.
I don't know. If I was gonna run bright lights I would consider the HID lights. They are brighter both times, day and nite and don't draw as much voltage off the battery.

Old 09-12-2007 | 09:25 PM
cowboy Harry
Road Warrior

Leagle or not, it is just plain stupid and rude to run your brights on all the time. What a bunch of goobers!!![8D].

Old 09-12-2007 | 09:39 PM
DocHarley
Outstanding HDF Member

Low beam at night, however my passing lamps are tilted up so you can see me coming for sure.

Go right ahead, bash me, I can take it, I took my Geratol this morning

Old 09-12-2007 | 09:59 PM
darkkevin
Tourer
Default RE: Highbeams or low beams?

high beemers all day, low at night unless i can hit the high's out in the country

Old 09-12-2007 | 10:21 PM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: darkkevin

high beemers all day, low at night unless i can hit the high's out in the country
same here,

Old 09-12-2007 | 10:29 PM
Marsh
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: petemac

If I didn't have the passinglamps on my bike that are on all the time, I'd use my highbeam. When I turn the highbeam on it shuts off the passing lamps. I think the passing lamps and the headlight make you more visible that a highbeam though.
I wasn't going to get involvered in this thing until I read the above.
I ride with a group of people and quite often I am the Road Captian and this gives me a chance to observe my group in my rear view mirrow. Some ride with highs on (daylight), and some with the lows and passing lamps on. The guys with the high beams are a lot more visible than the guys with lows and passing lamps. I have observed this on numerous occasions and always keep my high beams on in daylight and dusk. I want every advantage I can get.
Marsh

Old 09-12-2007 | 11:02 PM
DougsDyna
Banned

High beam day and night, with common courtesy and respect for other riders/drivers.
I consider it rude to ride behind someone in traffic with high beams glaring in their mirrors, after they have obviously recognized you are behind them during the daytime.
At night I use the high beam to see further just as with I do with my car, as not to blind other drivers.
I ride a SuperGlide, so no running lights per se, but have the converter allowing the turn signal lampsto remain ON all the time. I think this allows cars to recognize me as a rider better, because of the amber lightsto the sidesand belowthe headlight.

Just my way of riding/ ain't dead yet.

DougJ

Quick Reply: Highbeams or low beams?