General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highbeams or low beams?

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-2007 | 12:54 PM
BinIdaho
Stellar HDF Member
Default RE: High beams or low beams?

High beams and spots on day and night.

Old 09-12-2007 | 01:00 PM
uesque
Tourer

Low beams in warm weather, but these cold mornings have the high beams on strong.

Actually, doesn't the MSF specify high during the day? It was actually a question on the Pennsylvania MSF test.

Old 09-12-2007 | 02:59 PM
Jrsess
Ultimate HDF Member

Highs during the day, Lows at night! Ride Safe Jrsess

[IMG]local://upfiles/41068/1006EDB71B6C471598BBD5CD99AF21A9.jpg[/IMG]

Old 09-12-2007 | 03:10 PM
Finn111
Road Warrior

High in the daylight hours, Low if I remember.

Old 09-12-2007 | 04:03 PM
TampaJim
Road Master

High beams and motolights during the day. Try not to ride at night cause of bad night vision.

Old 09-12-2007 | 04:07 PM
monsterdeluxe
Road Captain
Default RE: Highbeams or low beams?

low beams and highway lights almost all the time.

Old 09-12-2007 | 04:26 PM
Hogaholic
Outstanding HDF Member

Highs all the time with the beam adjusted lower than usual. You guys need to think twice about using your passing lights anytime unless in a parade. There was a study done a few years ago about old people and soccer moms on cell phones. It stated that when distracted or in the case of old pepes, the triple tree lights are mistaken for a car at a greater distance, causing serious problems for the scoot rider.

Old 09-12-2007 | 05:03 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

anubisss

“I am a highbeam all the time kinda guy as I believe that anything I can do to ahve more visibility is worth it. Hows about you? Prolly a repost. Oh well...Take note new riders. I ahve never been pulled over or given a ticket for riding with the high beam. It might have even saved me a few times. I recommend.”

So daytime run headlights are the cats meow, huh

This was brought to us by bureaucrats in government the know nothings,I am really surprised that GM brought into this hook line and sinker some years back, (but there is a size difference) since they got screwed in the early days of air-bags in cars fiasco by who else the bureaucrats in government.

I will give you that motorcycles can without question be seen down the road betterthan riding without lights on, but and in life there is always a but, do you know how a motorcycle with headlights on are perceived when they are coming towards a person in a car ....? going “slower” than they really are and that could be the big problem.

I read this article the front half of the eighties in believe it or not ER, yes they did have a serious section the pages were always in black and white and most likely the last section anyone read, if they read it, anyway they reported on this test that was done I believe in CA (not sure)

At the time it was big in the country to pass “headlights on” motorcycle legislation in most states.

This test was pretty simple, you get average drivers set up a controlled course, a simple road coming down a slight down grade, with a intersecting road 90 degs off, the road.

The drivers where only told, there will be a motorcycle coming down that slight hill, at the time you will be stopped at the stop sign at intersecting road.

All you have to do is pull out when you think it’s safe to pull out in front of the on-coming motorcycle, if you think it’s safe just pull out, if not wait until the motorcycles passes, simple.

The point of the article was more car drivers “pulled out” in front of the bikes way too late, making some very close calls, as it turn out, the people that were pulling out later were seeing motorcycles with “headlights on” yeah all said they saw the bikes, but they “thought” the motorcycles were going slower than they truly were.

The score on the bikes not running “headlights on” was much better, they were easily seen but more important the car drivers saw how “fast” they really were going.

I never forgot that article and if your ready honest with yourself, you can see it.

I ride with a “headlight on” (but I have the option to turn them off) you better believe I think about that from time to time, seeing someone making a “left hand turn” in front of me or coming down a hill and seeing a driver at a stop sign ready to pull out !

Ride safe,

cj

Old 09-12-2007 | 05:25 PM
Calwoodbutcher
Road Master

I guess I am the only one here. Daytime = NO beam. Only run my lights at night. Headlights on during the daytime started way after I started riding and I have never ran a bike that way. At night I change beams just like I would in any other vehicle.

Old 09-12-2007 | 07:13 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior

ORIGINAL: Calwoodbutcher

I guess I am the only one here. Daytime = NO beam. Only run my lights at night. Headlights on during the daytime started way after I started riding and I have never ran a bike that way. At night I change beams just like I would in any other vehicle.
Calwoodbutcher,

If you never run daytime headlights good chance you are the only one, but your choice, I make my choice on the fly, but in heavy traffic, always, I like that little flash in the guy rearview almost telling him, yeah I am here, as for open roads interstates (limited access) I may turn them off, coming down a single lane highway seeing someone that is going to pull out it’s a toss, depending how fast I am into it.

If my battery starts to take a crap, no doubt in the daytime I turn them off, I will get home, headlight rips into a battery not charging, and with HD’s you need current to run.

Ride safe,
cj

Quick Reply: Highbeams or low beams?