General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highbeams or low beams?

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2008 | 01:40 PM
scoobs
Tourer
Default RE: High beams or low beams?

ORIGINAL: MilitaryMike

What do I need to do to have my passing lamps stay on all the time, regardless of which beam I am using?

As a new rider, I prefer to be seen.

Mike
Try this...&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;
https://www.hdforums.com/m_1405927/tm.htm

Old 07-08-2008 | 02:02 PM
MilitaryMike
Novice

Thanks Scoobs, I will check it out.

Old 07-08-2008 | 02:08 PM
Geoff
Seasoned HDF Member

Low beams and passing lights.

Old 07-09-2008 | 12:15 AM
ToddRx
Intermediate

Like most others...Highs in the day, lows at night

Old 07-09-2008 | 01:10 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member

Run day and night with low beams and passing lamps.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Figure 3 lights are more noticable than 1 high beam.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; Don't know about others but my high beam is about useless.&nbsp\\; I can see better at night with the low beams.

Old 07-09-2008 | 02:07 PM
readytoride
Cruiser

I am a low beam guy, at night high beam with no car comin at me but if its busy I will use my low beams

Old 07-09-2008 | 03:02 PM
FEAR
Tourer

HIGHBEAMS AND PASSING LAMPS BY DAY, LOW AND PASSING LAMPS BY NIGHT, I HAVE MINE RIGGED&nbsp\\;TO BE ON WITH THE HIGHBEAM

Old 07-09-2008 | 03:18 PM
mark10
Road Master
Default RE: Highbeams or low beams?

i could definitely understand this.&nbsp\\; if you are standing right in line with a motorcycle coming at you, it is really hard to tell how fast or how far away base on only the single headlight.
&nbsp\\;
with a car, you can kind judge base on how far apart the lights are as to how far away the vehicle is.&nbsp\\; needless to say, the closer together they (the smaller the distance between them) then the farther away the vehicle is.&nbsp\\; the faster the distance between the two lights becomes large, the faster the car is coming towards you.&nbsp\\; with only one light on the moto, it is hard to determine this.&nbsp\\; without the light, it would be easier because you are basing it on the size of the motorcycle and how quickly the size is changing.
&nbsp\\;
i would be tempted to say that if you had a car with only one headlight and a dark night, it would be difficult to determine how fast the car was going.&nbsp\\; just the motorcycle.

Old 07-09-2008 | 03:34 PM
Silvertip
Cruiser

Low beams &amp\\; passing lights. High beam coming towards me really hurts my eyes day or night &amp\\; I find it makes it harder for me to judge the oncoming speed plus I am so busy trying to avert my hurting eyes that I start to lose focus on what the oncoming vehicle is doing. Just my 2 cents.

Old 07-09-2008 | 03:54 PM
Harley Joe
Road Captain

When you ride with a friend, look at him in your mirror with low-beam on.&nbsp\\; Then signal for him (or her) to switch to high-beam.&nbsp\\; Then make up your own mind.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\; High-beam in sunlight is not blinding if it's aligned right in the first place.&nbsp\\; At night you switch&nbsp\\; back and forth - like you should.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;My high-beam is easier to spot in the daytime than my low-beam and driving lights.&nbsp\\; Seems to be the same for all the guys and gals&nbsp\\;I ride with.&nbsp\\;&nbsp\\;

Quick Reply: Highbeams or low beams?