General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Highbeams or low beams?

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-2007 | 07:55 PM
cj_slowdown
Road Warrior
Default RE: High beams or low beams?

ORIGINAL: ButtMan1000

ORIGINAL: cj_slowdown

ORIGINAL: StargazerXT12

High beams during the day, low at dusk/night. When I get my passing lights it will be low beams all the time. I'm also considering running lights on the engine guards.

The MSF course taught us to ride high beams during the day.
Stargazer,

MSF course really told you to ride with high beams on during the day ?

Well, I am thinking somebody hasn’t heard of the little test I stated above, I think is worth checking out maybe mentioning it to someone who teaches that course ?

Just a simple question:

Do you believe that seeing a bike coming down a road with no other cars around it, (easier to judge speed with passing a car next too it) with the bikes headlight on or even high beam on, would that be just as easy to judge the speed of the on coming bike, with a bike without it’s headlight on ? in the daytime of course.

You see, the more one thinks about it the more it makes sense at least to me.

I think it’s awful hard to judge something coming at you in the daytime, like it’s speed with a headlight on, I think it throws off judgment vs the something coming at you without a light on ? I am not saying your not going to be notice, I am concern about somebody thinks your going slower than you really are and think yeah I got the time ?

Remember the article I related in the above post, all the car drivers saw all the motorcycles, yes the ones with the headlights on were seen very good, but most miss-judged the speed of the headlights on, bikes ? which really surprised the people doing the test and me reading it !

If one believes in that theory, then what happens when you increase the light output ? like using highbeam,too me it comes to mind…… s l o w e r

I believe in mostly lights on in the daytime, but I don’t think it’s the end all and I wouldn’t go around with light or high beams on, thinking I am much safer, I think it sets up a false sense of security Hay, it’s something to keep in the back of your mind.

I believe it isn’t too big of a deal to have a friend ride down the road towards you on the side of the road, looking at headlights lights on (low and high) and off, see for yourself.

Take care,

cj

Bottom line to me,

High beams get you noticed better in the daytime,

Period,
"ButtMan1000"
"Bottom line to me, High beams get you noticed better in the daytime, Period, "
The bottom line for me over the years of riding has been and still is, not to get whacked , Period.
As for being "noticed better" whats that ? you ride with the high beam on, so that is better than a low ? then how does it happen that people run into police, emergency trucks and even ambulances all lite up like Christmas trees with strobes running, more times standing still ?
[left][color=#0000cc]I am not here to tell everyone hay, who needs

Old 09-14-2007 | 11:34 PM
goodbirds
Outstanding HDF Member

I was a High Beam rider until my riding partner complained how it distracted him when I followed him. Got me to thinking, is the high beam distracting oncoming drivers? Like staring at the sun, and then people who stare, tend to drift towards what they are looking at.

I have an Ultra. So I use low beams and passing lights. No problems being seen that I can detect. And my buddy is happy.[8D]

Old 09-15-2007 | 11:17 AM
ButtMan1000
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: goodbirds

I was a High Beam rider until my riding partner complained how it distracted him when I followed him. Got me to thinking, is the high beam distracting oncoming drivers? Like staring at the sun, and then people who stare, tend to drift towards what they are looking at.

I have an Ultra. So I use low beams and passing lights. No problems being seen that I can detect. And my buddy is happy.[8D]
All the touring bikes have the big behemoth headlamp that emits a ton of light compared to my SuperGlide's 5 3/4 inch headlight.

I believe this fact should be taken into account when discussing daytime high beam effects,

Old 09-15-2007 | 01:49 PM
Brackneyc
Road Master
Default RE: Highbeams or low beams?

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: pauletich

I got a ticket for having my high beams on. I pulled up behind an undercover cop and with in seconds I was pulled over. The ticket was $250.

I disagree with the amount of the fine, but not the idea of the fine (a warning would be sufficient for a first time offended IMO). Bright lights are blinding, and I get pissed when I see a bike or car running them in traffic. Save the highbeams for a dark country road with no oncoming traffic. JMO.[/blockquote]

Old 09-15-2007 | 02:00 PM
Matrix
Road Master

I only take the high beams off if a vehicle flashes me asking for the dims. The stock low beam sucks and I don't think that the high beams are as stong as the ones on cars. If they were I figure that I would get flasshed more than I do. I don't think that it blinds other motorists but I may be wrong.

The next time that a friend of mine is out riding his Low Rider with me we will get on the Hwy and ride towards each other with the brights on to see just how bright is bright.

Old 09-28-2007 | 09:29 AM
MadDawg
Stage II

Mikeeeeeeeeee,
I am interested in using my high beam with spots. Can you hook me up on the rewiring schematic?
Thanks, Dale
05 Electra Glide Classic

Old 07-08-2008 | 01:11 PM
MilitaryMike
Novice

What do I need to do to have my passing lamps stay on all the time, regardless of which beam I am&nbsp\\; using?&nbsp\\;

As a new rider on after many many years of not riding, I prefer to seen than unseen.

Mike&nbsp\\;

Old 07-08-2008 | 01:14 PM
MilitaryMike
Novice

What do I need to do to have my passing lamps stay on all the time, regardless of which beam I am using?

As a new rider, I prefer to be seen.

Mike

Old 07-08-2008 | 01:27 PM
bkelly1956
Tourer

high beam all the time.&nbsp\\; will have a modulator within the week for added attention-getting.

Old 07-08-2008 | 01:31 PM
RoadKingRon1
Outstanding HDF Member

ORIGINAL: Brackneyc

[/align]

[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: pauletich

I got a ticket for having my high beams on.&nbsp\\; I pulled up behind an undercover cop and with in seconds I was pulled over.&nbsp\\; The ticket was $250.

I disagree with the amount of the fine, but not the idea of the fine (a warning would be sufficient for a first time offended IMO). Bright lights are blinding, and I get pissed when I see a bike or car running them in traffic. Save the highbeams for a dark country road with no oncoming traffic. JMO.[/blockquote]
&nbsp\\;
&nbsp\\;
+ 1/2 agreed....the fine should be a minimum of $250.00....[:@]
&nbsp\\;
Save the highbeams for the dark country roads...

Quick Reply: Highbeams or low beams?