General Harley Davidson Chat Forum to discuss general Harley Davidson issues, topics, and experiences.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-2007, 06:46 PM
darkkevin
Tourer
Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts
Default RE: A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...

chi-town harley where i bought my bike has 07's for $1500 off msrp plus a $500 gift card. sounds like it would be worth it to fly to chicago and ride your new scoot home, just my .02

Old 09-11-2007, 07:05 PM
06train
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dealers I have been to WILL NOT give you a piece of paper to take out of the store to compare prices. They would fax a copy to a lender - i.e. bank or credit union - but refused to give me a copy of the terms we worked out on a bike. They didn't want me going somewhere else and getting their deal beat.
I had a down on the bike I had ordered from one dealer..Just by chance I was in a town about 150 mile away with another dealer and my wife and I were goin to by some shirts.The salesman asked if I had a bike? I told him I had one ordered..At that point he said ,,Got time that I can work up some prices..I said OK..And ,,,,,his price was 2750.oo less than where I ordered the bike @ first..Yep,,,,,,I bought it @ the second dealer with theexact same add on as I expected@ the first dealer..He also gave me a price quote on a company letter head so I could get my deposite back..The first dealer looked @ it and said I'll get your money...

Old 09-11-2007, 07:12 PM
Twolf
Road Master

SanRico,
I live in Albq, and went to T-Bird and got a great deal. They were asking 19,500 for that bike you see below. MSRP was 17,700 in that color, I got it for 17,200 with a LOT of stuff thrown in or written up at a reduced cost.(5-700 bucks worth?)They are decent people,but when they try to screw me, I let them KNOW!

This is how it went:
I show up in late Sept with 4 models in mind. I wanna see them in person, tomake a decision. Sit on 'em, etc.
I decide I want the FXSTC, so I call over the sales guy who I ran off 30 minutes earlier.
We toss some numbers around, and I tell himI'll look at the other dealers and give him a call back. Ileave and call around (Barnetts, Farmington, Santa Fe, etc.) Nobody else had that color at the time, but there were offers down to the 17,200number on other 2-tones. HMMM...

I go back a coupla days later, and tell this guy, "You ain't moved that bike yet, huh?" I knew they were not selling a lot, it had just turned cold outside. He tells me he will match MSRP, so I say run my credit and call me, THEN we will negotiate. Paperwork, then I boogie.

15 minutes later, he calls asking me if I want him to hold the bike for me!!! (NICE ta finally haveGOOD credit again!)

I go down the next day, and we wheel and deal,as I'm telling him I can get the same thing cheaper somewhere else.
I say, "Just call Santa Fe, I ain't lyin'!" Then I drop the price a lil' more with the finance guy on a few things, like alla them "extra" charges, along with a goodie or 2. Got a great interest rate, ta boot!

Yeah, I still paid a lot, but I think I got the best deal I could. Hell, buyin' a new Harley ain't cheap, no matter WHAT!

Bottom line, HAGGLE, and have leverage. (Time of year, good credit, names of sales people at the other dealers, along with their price, and a nice down payment.)

Aw, I didn't mean ta type so much, but I figure it oughta help out some people here! [sm=biker2.gif]

Old 09-11-2007, 08:20 PM
doc_cj
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You made a HUGE error in negotiations by telling him you were ready to buy. You've left him with no incentive to deal. Now you either need to make a legitimate offer or walk away from the table. You've lost the first round of negotations but may be able to pull it out in the long run. It's going to take some *****, though. Make him an offer and truly be ready to walk away if he doesn't bite.

Old 09-11-2007, 11:35 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 41 Likes on 34 Posts

SanRico,

Don't know if you are interested, but I was at the Farmington store today and they have an '07 Red/Black RoadKing Standard. I think Mike told me it was 500 under MSRP with no set up or shipping. They had 3 '08 Deluxes on the floor for MSRP.

His number is 505-325-6710.

Bill

Old 09-11-2007, 11:59 PM
UnkleKronik
Road Captain

That is a fancy way of saying "we charge whatever the hell we want for this motorcycle, and you should be happy to pay it."

that's how the capitalistic society works. no one has a gun to yer head.

shop around

Old 09-12-2007, 12:07 AM
JohnC88
Tourer

ORIGINAL: Tralfaz

In the Dallas area we have about 5 dealers, with 2 owned by one corporation, 2 owned by a family, and one on its own. The family owned dealer sells at MSRP (with discounts when clearing out inventory). The corporate owned sells at above MSRP. The good news is that the corporate owned dealers know the family owned one sells at MSRP, and they know their current deals. They are also close enough such that there is a health spirit of competition, so I just needed to go into the corporate owned dealers, tell them I got a certain out of the door quote from the family owned one, and they matched it, including the $500 store gift card.

I guess I'm just the opposite. If the guy who wants to over charge me is only willing to match a guy who offered me a better price to begin with, then the guy who wants to over charge me can kiss my ***. He had his chance. He tried to screw me. F' him! The other guy gets my money.

Old 09-12-2007, 01:47 AM
O6FXST
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Its called capitalism, supply and demand.

Old 09-12-2007, 02:16 AM
Comfortably Numb
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Frankly, I prefer to deal with folks who have a reasonable command of the English language.
Geeez...this Mark C guy needs to spend some time learning a bit of it.

CN

Old 09-12-2007, 04:26 AM
Kolni
Banned
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

ORIGINAL: HogBoy

It's called the law of supply and demand.
It's it amazing how few people understand this?

Quick Reply: A typical Exchange with a non-MSRP Harley Dealer...